Calling All Cooks... What Have You Made?

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Calling All Cooks... What Have You Made?

I am making something today that takes about four hours start to finish. It's on the stove now, just below a simmer, for three hours. It's from Bon Appetite--BA's Best Bolognese. I've been looking at it for over a year, watched the video of Andy Barghani making it--not difficult but I never took the time. I watched the video again twice before starting. We shall see. If I like it, next time I will make it with Beyond Meat. Or maybe we'll be let out of our cages onto the pickleball court, and I'll never make it again.

What have you made while stuck inside (my golf buddies flew the coop back to Canada). Something new? Something you made up (looking at you, Tomwed!)? Something you've made before but didn't have the time till now...?

I'd enjoy hearing about it.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

I made minestrone last week. I’ve been wanting to do so for awhile and took the opportunity since I wanted to do something different other than reading or knitting. The recipe that follows shows sprinkling Parmesan on before eating, which I hadn’t heard of doing but boy, it was good. I’ve never cooked with zucchini before (I know, right?) but I liked it.
Simple Italian Minestrone Soup | The Mediterranean Dish

I also tried my hand at Churros. I had to use a zip lock bag to squeeze into the hot oil. Two things I will do next time is make the hole MUCH smaller; on my first try, they ended up looking like t**ds. The second thing I will do differently is to make a double batch, as they’re really good!
Churros Recipe - Allrecipes.com | Allrecipes
Old 04-27-2020, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj;

I also tried my hand at Churros. I had to use a zip lock bag to squeeze into the hot oil. Two things I will do next time is make the hole MUCH smaller; on my first try, they ended up looking like t**ds. The second thing I will do differently is to make a double batch, as they’re really good!
[URL="https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/24700/churros/"
Churros Recipe - Allrecipes.com | Allrecipes[/URL]

That's two feces-related comments today, and they both made me laugh out loud.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

I braised lamb shanks in homemade gravy, the same with short ribs, smoked brisket on the green egg and made gravy with meatballs and 2 types of sausage. Basic stuff grillled lamb chops, marinated pork tenderloin, grilled steak, turkey thighs and marinated salmon several times.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:58 PM
Platinum member

Riding a time machine today. Tuna casserole. Married 53 years and probably haven't had one since around year five.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:20 PM
Michael Charles

Using leftover marinara sauce, leftover rice, some leftover ground beef from making burgers and some extra peppers and onions. Created one of my favorite soups, stuffed pepper soup. To me it tastes like my grandmothers stuffed peppers but in a soup.

Trying to make some crock pot chili recipes and trying different cornbread recipes. I never tried grinding up some older popping corn for my cornmeal but it worked out just fine when the store shelves were bare!

Really digging the different pizza dough recipes found online! Pizzas, calzones and focaccia have never been easier and more tasteful than in my kitchen!

Also various types of homemade breads and muffins.

Red beans and rice with smoked sausage.

Cheese grits with shrimp!
Old 04-27-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage

You guys are better cooks than I am!
Old 04-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am making something today that takes about four hours start to finish. It's on the stove now, just below a simmer, for three hours. It's from Bon Appetite--BA's Best Bolognese. I've been looking at it for over a year, watched the video of Andy Barghani making it--not difficult but I never took the time. I watched the video again twice before starting. We shall see. If I like it, next time I will make it with Beyond Meat. Or maybe we'll be let out of our cages onto the pickleball court, and I'll never make it again.

What have you made while stuck inside (my golf buddies flew the coop back to Canada). Something new? Something you made up (looking at you, Tomwed!)? Something you've made before but didn't have the time till now...?

I'd enjoy hearing about it.

my wife and I both enjoy cooking and it's been a hobby of ours for years (there was a time that we'd take cooking classes at culinary colleges on the weekends)....

we routinely create a two week menu...which makes shopping easier....so here's what we've been up do:

a week ago my home made Limoncello matured after 80 days...that's now bottled
last Friday we made Choppino (Italian fish stew...8 types of fish)
Saturday we made Chicken Fajitas
Sunday we made Pasta e Fagioli
Today we made Tiramisu...and we're having Pasta Puttanesca for dinner
Tuesday is Porchetta (Italian roast pork with fennel) and baked carrots in ricotta

on Thursday we'll cut up about 20 lbs of pork butt add our ingredients, let is sit 24 hours in the fridge and make sausages on Friday

sometime this week I'm going to make Welsh Rarebit for the first time

next week we're actually making Chateaubriand for the first time...we'll cheat on how we make the demi-glace though and save about 8 hours by using ready made beef stock in the demi-glace recipe

later next week we're making a lamb and okra stew, another night Vongole Bianco (clams and pasta), and bourbon short ribs on another

we don't make an involved meal every day and often there's enough left over for a second meal....and some days it's just one of our many home made soups and a grilled cheese sandwich.

mangia, mangia
Old 04-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

My peppers from last year are still producing. Stuffed jalapeño, la Bomba’s and Cajun bells, with Serrano diced in. This Year I got hot banana, numex big Jim’s, sahuaro’s, Aji Rico’s, Mariachi’s, and cayenne for some heat. I also make crushed red pepper flakes from cayenne. We pickle some of them also. All grown in 25 gallon pots.

My wife excellent cook and we enjoy fixing meals we like. So the current restaurant crisis don’t bother us.
Old 04-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Mrs. KC made a great shrimp and sausage jambalaya last night.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
My peppers from last year are still producing. Stuffed jalapeño, la Bomba’s and Cajun bells, with Serrano diced in. This Year I got hot banana, numex big Jim’s, sahuaro’s, Aji Rico’s, Mariachi’s, and cayenne for some heat. I also make crushed red pepper flakes from cayenne. We pickle some of them also. All grown in 25 gallon pots.

My wife excellent cook and we enjoy fixing meals we like. So the current restaurant crisis don’t bother us.
My son-in-law would worship you!
Old 04-27-2020, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

tonight a pot of chili is bubbling and a cherry pie is in the oven...Pillsbury pie crust cheating.
Old 04-27-2020, 04:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
tonight a pot of chili is bubbling and a cherry pie is in the oven...Pillsbury pie crust cheating.
Will that pie be cooling on a window ledge reachable from the ground by a 6' tall fellow?
Old 04-27-2020, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
My son-in-law would worship you!

Easy to grow in pots down here and they can keep growing for few years and producing. Don’t need much room for pot and little sun shine. Down here white flies will attack leaves in summer and early fall, only thing I have found that limits fruiting.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Lamb chops, bananas foster
Closed Thread

Tags
made, time, watched, video, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.