Calling All Cooks... What Have You Made?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2020, 07:43 AM

We are trying to loose weight so have made many things with ground turkey. Yesterday it was Shepard's pie with a cauliflour mashed potato top and fresh green beans. Today it's pizza with turkey pepperoni, canned tomatoes and low fat cheese.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:52 AM

I took a trip back to my childhood and made one of my favorite meals sloppy Joe’s.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:56 AM

We made - Strawberry Vodka; Strawberry Jam; Mixed Berry Jam; Butter Soaked Biscuits; Peanut Butter Brownies; Chicken Pot Pie; BBQ Ribs; Collard Greens w/Ham Hock; BBQ Prime Rib, Shrimp with Cheesy Grits; Ham & Au gratin Potatoes; Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing; Tortellini, Spinach & Sausage Soup; Butter Chicken over Cauliflower Rice; Calzones ......
Old 04-28-2020, 08:12 AM

I’ve been making the recipes in the Daily Sun. Really liked the chicken with roasted lemons and capers. It takes time ...well worth it.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am making something today that takes about four hours start to finish. It's on the stove now, just below a simmer, for three hours. It's from Bon Appetite--BA's Best Bolognese. I've been looking at it for over a year, watched the video of Andy Barghani making it--not difficult but I never took the time. I watched the video again twice before starting. We shall see. If I like it, next time I will make it with Beyond Meat. Or maybe we'll be let out of our cages onto the pickleball court, and I'll never make it again.

What have you made while stuck inside (my golf buddies flew the coop back to Canada). Something new? Something you made up (looking at you, Tomwed!)? Something you've made before but didn't have the time till now...?

I'd enjoy hearing about it.
Saw a video on how to make one bowl LEMON BROWNIES. I had to try it. Easy and delicious and best of all, I only dirtied one bowl!
Old 04-28-2020, 09:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Challah bread.
I love challah, makes the best French toast, been buying mine at TJs mine does not compare
Old 04-28-2020, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

I'm a challah baker too. A couple weeks ago I made 3 enormous loaves. It's a 4+ hour recipe because it has to rise three times before baking. 5 eggs, 4 cups flour, no bread machine, and I don't own a mixer so it's all done in a big bowl with a wooden spoon, and I knead with my hands on a huge bamboo cutting board, old-style. I leave it on the screened lanai with a moist hot towel covering it to rise.

I've made banana breaad, tollhouse cookies, shrimp scampi, meatloaf, meatballs and sauce over penne, chicken salad. Same as usual.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I have food network live cooking on my 8”echo show, can take the classes anytime, pause, makes anything easy when you can see it in person compared to a cookbook. Everyday the are multiple show, plus the ones you missed
Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 AM

Where did you find Lamb Shanks?
Old 04-28-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
Using leftover marinara sauce, leftover rice, some leftover ground beef from making burgers and some extra peppers and onions. Created one of my favorite soups, stuffed pepper soup. To me it tastes like my grandmothers stuffed peppers but in a soup.

Trying to make some crock pot chili recipes and trying different cornbread recipes. I never tried grinding up some older popping corn for my cornmeal but it worked out just fine when the store shelves were bare!

Really digging the different pizza dough recipes found online! Pizzas, calzones and focaccia have never been easier and more tasteful than in my kitchen!

Also various types of homemade breads and muffins.

Red beans and rice with smoked sausage.

Cheese grits with shrimp!
Yummm! You are making me hungry!
Old 04-28-2020, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Lamb Shanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJY10101 View Post
Where did you find Lamb Shanks?
The best lamb shanks I have found were purchased at the Polish Deli in Leesburg. Excellent quality
Old 04-28-2020, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
I have food network live cooking on my 8”echo show, can take the classes anytime, pause, makes anything easy when you can see it in person compared to a cookbook. Everyday the are multiple show, plus the ones you missed
And Bon Appétit's Test Kitchen has many videos on you tube. They are all young, interesting, funny cooks. Also one of them, Claire Saffitz, does a video series called Gourmet Makes, where she recreates packaged products from scratch--like M&Ms, girl scout cookies, snickers bars, Pringles, skittles; mostly junk food, but very fun to watch.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:00 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am making something today that takes about four hours start to finish. It's on the stove now, just below a simmer, for three hours. It's from Bon Appetite--BA's Best Bolognese. I've been looking at it for over a year, watched the video of Andy Barghani making it--not difficult but I never took the time. I watched the video again twice before starting. We shall see. If I like it, next time I will make it with Beyond Meat. Or maybe we'll be let out of our cages onto the pickleball court, and I'll never make it again.

What have you made while stuck inside (my golf buddies flew the coop back to Canada). Something new? Something you made up (looking at you, Tomwed!)? Something you've made before but didn't have the time till now...?

I'd enjoy hearing about it.
Its easy so far 50 days Lasagna, Brisket, Home made Pastrami, over a gallon of pasta gravy with and without meat. Meatloaf, eggplant parm, meatballs, Manicotti, clam chowder, beef stew, pork roast, beef roast steaks
Unfortunately we have gotten so good at cooking we may never go to another restaurant for quite awhile, made the way We likeit.
Prep time is usually less than an hour the stove oven and grill do the work.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:06 AM

Most involved entree I recently made was Pastitsio. Made Strawberry Preserves yesterday. Making a Buttermilk Pie today.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:23 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

I would reply, but I'm a Chef, not a Cook.

Tags
made, time, watched, video, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.