Calling All Cooks... What Have You Made?

Closed Thread
Old 04-29-2020, 03:50 PM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I can't find spomi on Google, but they came up with psomi. By any chance is that what you meant? Seems like it's Greek bread? Pictures look delicious.
yes, my error! Psomi is just Greek for bread. I was trying to impress with my knowledge of food terms in Greek! I don't speak much of it but I can order food from my seat like a true Athenian!
Old 04-29-2020, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My savory Herb Butter Dutch Baby Pancake will go into the oven soon. It's not Sunday Supper, but... Savory Herb Butter Dutch Baby. - Half Baked Harvest
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	dutch baby.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	83894  
Old 04-30-2020, 07:15 AM
Gold member

I've been using my automatic pressure cooker a lot this virus season, and it's just an amazing appliance. Unfortunately, I was at Publix yesterday, thinking about buying a chuck roast for the pressure cooker, and found a 2.5 pound chuck roast was selling for over $20.00. Sorry, no chuck roast is worth anything like ten bucks a pound. I bought two pork chops and a pack of chicken legs instead.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Fresh oysters off the dock yesterday. You got to love living on the Chesapeake Bay.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Fresh oysters off the dock yesterday. You got to love living on the Chesapeake Bay.
Here in TV, my wife makes great crab cakes by going to Sam's Club. They're the only place in town that I found that sells a pound of fresh lump crab meat in stock all the time for $22.99. In fact, that's the main reason we are members there. She will make about 8 small ones and then cook them in the oven. They're really good using the Old Bay recipe and paired with cole slaw, it doesn't get any better.

The Villages Florida

Publix carries the Old Bay in the can for about $5.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-30-2020, 03:49 PM
Default Cheesecake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I am making something today that takes about four hours start to finish. It's on the stove now, just below a simmer, for three hours. It's from Bon Appetite--BA's Best Bolognese. I've been looking at it for over a year, watched the video of Andy Barghani making it--not difficult but I never took the time. I watched the video again twice before starting. We shall see. If I like it, next time I will make it with Beyond Meat. Or maybe we'll be let out of our cages onto the pickleball court, and I'll never make it again.

What have you made while stuck inside (my golf buddies flew the coop back to Canada). Something new? Something you made up (looking at you, Tomwed!)? Something you've made before but didn't have the time till now...?

I'd enjoy hearing about it.
I love cheesecake so I decided to make NYC Junior’s Cheesecake, 7 inch size and minis. I made the classic with a hint of lemon, chocolate and almond. All were outstanding. Took some slices of the minis to neighbors. Never would have tackled this if it weren’t for the virus. Time consuming but so worth it❗️
Old 04-30-2020, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Here in TV, my wife makes great crab cakes by going to Sam's Club. They're the only place in town that I found that sells a pound of fresh lump crab meat in stock all the time for $22.99. In fact, that's the main reason we are members there. She will make about 8 small ones and then cook them in the oven. They're really good using the Old Bay recipe and paired with cole slaw, it doesn't get any better.
When it dried up today we decided to take a run over to Sam's both to restock and to look for John's crab, unfortunately they did not have any crab John so my crab cakes will have to wait.

But, we did pick up a chicken, they do really good rotisserie chickens. So tonight was chicken, baked potato and salad and it was excellent and so easy, and so much left over for sandwiches and chicken salad. Yum.

I will keep checking on the crab meat John!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-30-2020, 08:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
When it dried up today we decided to take a run over to Sam's both to restock and to look for John's crab, unfortunately they did not have any crab John so my crab cakes will have to wait.

I will keep checking on the crab meat John!
I'd say in the last 5 years only once did they not have the crab meat when we went. They usually have about 25 to 40 of those one pound containers. Of course, anything might happen with the current situation. They're normally in a reach-down cooler in the back of the store, in the middle section. We got some week before last. We'll probably try next week ourselves.
Old 05-01-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage

Quote:

The Villages Florida

Publix carries the Old Bay in the can for about $5.

The Villages Florida
We use Old Bay on almost everything! I always buy the large can.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:33 PM
Smile I made Fettuchenne Alfredo and roasted peppers with sausage onions and potatoes ,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
yes, my error! Psomi is just Greek for bread. I was trying to impress with my knowledge of food terms in Greek! I don't speak much of it but I can order food from my seat like a true Athenian!
Old 05-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'd say in the last 5 years only once did they not have the crab meat when we went. They usually have about 25 to 40 of those one pound containers. Of course, anything might happen with the current situation. They're normally in a reach-down cooler in the back of the store, in the middle section. We got some week before last. We'll probably try next week ourselves.
John, have you ever purchased their ready made frozen Crab Cakes, they are highly rated and well priced. Need a recommendation please. EmA

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-01-2020, 09:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
John, have you ever purchased their ready made frozen Crab Cakes, they are highly rated and well priced. Need a recommendation please. EmA
I've never found any ready made crab cakes of any brand, even Phillips from Maryland, that are worth buying. One problem we have, my wife has an aversion to onions, and for whatever reason, if you read the ingredients on just any crab cakes it will list onions. Just get the Old Bay, they have 3 or 4 sizes at Publix and the recipe is on the can, or on their website. Here it is from the website:

2 slices white bread, crusts removed and crumbled
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons OLD BAY® Seasoning Substitutions available
2 teaspoons McCormick® Parsley Flakes
1/2 teaspoon French's® Classic Yellow Mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat
Old 05-02-2020, 06:42 AM
Platinum member
Default beef stew

we will make Paula Deans, old southern style beef stew. Slow simmer on the stove and nice and thick at the end.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
I've never found any ready made crab cakes of any brand, even Phillips from Maryland, that are worth buying. One problem we have, my wife has an aversion to onions, and for whatever reason, if you read the ingredients on just any crab cakes it will list onions. Just get the Old Bay, they have 3 or 4 sizes at Publix and the recipe is on the can, or on their website. Here it is from the website:

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg, beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat
I changed from bread to using Captains wafer crackers. If I don't have crabmeat I use a can of salmon.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:02 AM
Sage

Quote:

2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg, beaten
1 pound lump crabmeat
Thanks John. Will try this recipe.

Closed Thread

Tags
made, time, watched, video, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.