Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2021, 06:43 AM

Chilli
Old 03-22-2021, 06:46 AM

Stroganoff!
Old 03-22-2021, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My husband has some frozen London broil. He has grilled some of it, but it was too tough even when sliced thinly, so he froze the rest of it.

What can I make with it for him? He thought we could grind it up and he could make hamburgers, but I think they would not be good because not enough fat.

I'm thinking it needs to be braised, but not sure London broil lends itself to that.

Any suggestions? (Where is Tomwed when you need him?!)
We have a great, simple recipe for Italian Beef that this should work well for. Line bottom of crock pot with onion. Place meet on top. Mix together 16 oz jar of SLICED pepperceni peppers with juice and package of onion dry onion soup and about 1/4 cup of water. Cook on high til meat falls apart. We use different lean roasts and it's never failed us.Great as sandwich or on plate as meat with veggies. We always make potato cassarole similar to what you get at Cracker Barrel and baked beans. A little spicy but not too hot. Try it, you'll like it.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:52 AM

Pineapple juice marinade will seriously tenderize your meat without any left over taste. Put the meat in a gallon freezer bag and add pineapple juice, put in refrigerator for 2 days. When ready, take meat out, rinse juice off with water and then you can grill it. If you already cut it into cubes, just braze all sides to give the meat good outside color the cook in a pressure cooker, or slow cooker if you don’t have a pressure cooker.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:22 AM
Default Tough Meat

With any cut of meat, I always coat it with Kosher salt for 45 minutes for every inch thick it is. Rinse it off and then flip and coat the other side. Rinse and let stand at room temp for 30 minutes, season with freshly ground black pepper and grill away.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmarkwald View Post
I have ground up extremely lean beef in the past. Mix it with ground turkey and use it in spaghetti/tacos, etc. London Broil needs to be sliced wafer thin. It is very good on the grill at extreme heat, leaving the center almost rare, then slicing super-thin
Yeah, he did grill the first portion & slice wafer thin. I think he bought an inferior piece of meat.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. He doesn't like pot roast, so I am going to try the hamburger/turkey/onions in the grinder. He has a recipe for taco meat that he likes to make chili with.

Love this forum.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
My husband has some frozen London broil. He has grilled some of it, but it was too tough even when sliced thinly, so he froze the rest of it.

What can I make with it for him? He thought we could grind it up and he could make hamburgers, but I think they would not be good because not enough fat.

I'm thinking it needs to be braised, but not sure London broil lends itself to that.

Any suggestions? (Where is Tomwed when you need him?!)
You can cook it Sous Vied (cook in a water bath at controlled temperature with meat in a vacuum bag) at 132F for 20 Hours. Should be tender and a medium rare.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:39 AM

That cut of meat like so many is loaded with flavor but it is tough.
A few things that you can do:
1- my favorite because I have the tools is to do a low and slow smoke at about 225 on my pellet smoker.
2- it will braise well and again low and slow, you cannot rush it, the fibers need to break down.
3- my wife’s favorite is the Instapot of pressure cooker. This speeds the time and will yield great success. Use caution but if you take it out snd find it still tough put it back for 5 minutes.
With any of these you can marinate, rub or season your your liking, but it has to be low temperature and slow cooking.
Good eating!
Old 03-22-2021, 07:47 AM

London broil is meant to be broiled or just a quick sear 4-5 minutes. It will not break down like roasts. If in chunks just sear then make goulash or tacos
Old 03-22-2021, 08:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
A recently published Serious Eats recipe caught my eye. I haven't tried it yet. Pasta alla Genovese is made with a ragu that is mostly just beef and onions.

Pasta alla Genovese click here
This he would like. So we'll do half of it as taco meat and the other half as pasta alla Genovese.

Thanks, AB.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

buy half as much weight as the beef weighs of pork (boneless chops or whatever) grind them up together and use it for meatloaf or burgers on the grille....the pork will provide sufficient 'fat' to make it tasty
Old 03-22-2021, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
buy half as much weight as the beef weighs of pork (boneless chops or whatever) grind them up together and use it for meatloaf or burgers on the grille....the pork will provide sufficient 'fat' to make it tasty
You just solved another problem. I have a pound of ground pork in the freezer that needs to be used.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
You just solved another problem. I have a pound of ground pork in the freezer that needs to be used.
The solution is in the picture. Your dog will be thrilled.

To tenderize any meat the solution is wet slow cooking. Obviously that is not grilling.
Old 03-22-2021, 11:31 AM

Thaw it and marinate overnight.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Make a brisket in a slow cooker, before cooking marinate in wine to help break down the tissues.
I would use a Dutch Oven, in the oven at 300 degrees with about a cup of water and a package of dry Lipton Onion soup for five or six hours. Keep it covered, no peeking. Remove and allow to sit for an hour before uncovering and serving..

Put in pot raw, no browning. That meet is tough as shoe leather. If this doesn't make it tender, nothing will. I don't like wine in the marinade.

Tags
broil, make, london, good, fat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.