carrots, potatoes, onions

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Sage
Default carrots, potatoes, onions

Last night I picked up a 7 lb pork butt [which is really the shoulder] that was deeply discounted. I trimmed the fat, and divided into 3 portions, froze 3 and browned the piece with the bone, put it in the crock pot, 2/3rds up with water, bay leaf, 6 hours later it's tender. no surprises so far

I knew if I threw in the veggies in the crock they wood cook away, get mushy maybe greasy. So I boiled them separately in some broth and water till tender but that was nothing special until drained them and added 1/2 T brown sugar, splash of vinegar, 2t's of Dijon, black pepper and chilled it. That tastes great.

I hope the next time I have a crowd I remember. It can all be done the day before.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:34 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Last night I picked up a 7 lb pork butt [which is really the shoulder] that was deeply discounted. I trimmed the fat, and divided into 3 portions, froze 3 and browned the piece with the bone, put it in the crock pot, 2/3rds up with water, bay leaf, 6 hours later it's tender. no surprises so far

I knew if I threw in the veggies in the crock they wood cook away, get mushy maybe greasy. So I boiled them separately in some broth and water till tender but that was nothing special until drained them and added 1/2 T brown sugar, splash of vinegar, 2t's of Dijon, black pepper and chilled it. That tastes great.

I hope the next time I have a crowd I remember. It can all be done the day before.
So they were 2 separate dishes? The broth from the pork or separate broth? I am a cooking dunce you have to spell out everything for me.
Old 08-29-2018, 05:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Yum!
Old 08-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
So they were 2 separate dishes? The broth from the pork or separate broth? I am a cooking dunce you have to spell out everything for me.
I put the meat in the crock pot and when it was done drained it. That's the broth. Next I boiled the veggies in the broth in a separate pot. When they were done I used the broth again. This time I put the cooked pork in the broth to store in the refrigerator

To serve nuke the meat in the broth and serve the veggies cold. Corn bread might go well.

I left out an important step. You need to remove the fat from the broth before you cook the veggies.

Last edited by tomwed; 08-30-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:22 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I put the meat in the crock pot and when it was done drained it. That's the broth. Next I boiled the veggies in the broth in a separate pot. When they were done I used the broth again. This time I put the cooked pork in the broth to store in the refrigerator

To serve nuke the meat in the broth and serve the veggies cold. Corn bread might go well.
Thanks, got it.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Great comfort food! Thanks!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Sounds NOTHING but yummy! Thanks, tomwed.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

And you don’t have to worry about remembering it — you can just search for it here.

Sounds good.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 08-30-2018, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Wait, what? You chilled the vegetables, and that tastes great? I am not a dunce cook, but this is a little confusing to me. You cut it into three portions, then froze all three... so the bone made a fourth portion that still had some meat on it? Did you make a soup out of the bone and the veggies, or...?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Wait, what? You chilled the vegetables, and that tastes great? I am not a dunce cook, but this is a little confusing to me. You cut it into three portions, then froze all three... so the bone made a fourth portion that still had some meat on it? Did you make a soup out of the bone and the veggies, or...?
Yes. I made it more confusing then need be.

One portion had the bone and meat and I guess you could say I made a soup out of it but I only seasoned with a bay leaf and S&P after browning. I took the soup broth and degreased it and cooked the veggies separately in that broth. I had to add water. When the veggies were a little under-cooked I chilled them and made a kind of cold German Potato salad out of them. I used brown sugar instead of white. That's all I had and it turned out great. It's not bland.

I am soaking the cooked pork in the meat/veggie broth in the frig to keep the meat moist.

WD
Closed Thread

Tags
water, tender, add, special, 1/2

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.