Cauliflower with cheese sauce.

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
I agree with you regarding what you call "grocery store" cheddar, and the sharper, the better.

However, the thought of Velveeta in a recipe makes me gag.

Velveeta contains no real cheese whatsoever (it originally did back in the day) and is of course extremely high in sodium and unhealthy fats. I doubt a cardiologist would come back for seconds or even accept a first serving. Yuk!

Each one-pound brick of Velveeta has a recommended 16 servings, and if you look at the nutritional information through 21st century eyes, those servings are pretty terrifying. Each serving has 80 calories (50 from fat), 6 grams of fat (4 from saturated fat), and 3 grams of carbs (with 2 that come from sugars). There's a ton of sodium, too — 410 mg — and you're only getting 15 percent of your daily dose of calcium. That means Velveeta is a guilty pleasure today, and that all makes it even more surprising that it wasn't just marketed as an affordable way to feed a family, but as a super-healthy way to feed them, too.

Read More: The untold truth of Velveeta

Originally Velveeta was made from real cheese. Kraft changed the formula in 1953. Today, it's mainly whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, milk, fat, and preservatives. By the Food and Drink Administration's standards, that's not real cheese—which is why the FDA forced Kraft to change its label from "cheese spread" to "cheese product."

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-17-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

Velveeta contains no real cheese whatsoever (it originally did back in the day) and is of course extremely high in sodium and unhealthy fats. I doubt a cardiologist would come back for seconds or even accept a first serving. Yuk!

Each one-pound brick of Velveeta has a recommended 16 servings, and if you look at the nutritional information through 21st century eyes, those servings are pretty terrifying. Each serving has 80 calories (50 from fat), 6 grams of fat (4 from saturated fat), and 3 grams of carbs (with 2 that come from sugars). There's a ton of sodium, too — 410 mg — and you're only getting 15 percent of your daily dose of calcium. That means Velveeta is a guilty pleasure today, and that all makes it even more surprising that it wasn't just marketed as an affordable way to feed a family, but as a super-healthy way to feed them, too.

Read More: The untold truth of Velveeta

Originally Velveeta was made from real cheese. Kraft changed the formula in 1953. Today, it's mainly whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, milk, fat, and preservatives. By the Food and Drink Administration's standards, that's not real cheese—which is why the FDA forced Kraft to change its label from "cheese spread" to "cheese product."
My list for who to invite to dinner just got shorter. Oh well. You're on the west coast anyway.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-17-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Sage

A man I know keeps Velveeta on his sailboat as an emergency munchie because he finds it does not spoil. It must have an incredible shelf life.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-17-2018, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
A man I know keeps Velveeta on his sailboat as an emergency munchie because he finds it does not spoil. It must have an incredible shelf life.
It stays stable for a long time if you rewrap it carefully. A large box of Velveeta lasts us maybe six months. The secret to what I view as a healthy diet is not too much fat, small portions of protein and lots of fruits and vegetables. My cholesterol without statins is 129. I am just lucky genetically. I don't drink or smoke and I live with lovely, enjoyable, funny, loving people. I was terribly surprised to find that my heart had electrical issues and grateful to find that it is strong. We cannot live forever. People do things and eat things that aren't the best, but thank goodness, most of us don't lecture others on food.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-17-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage

Processed foods are leading to obesity and illness worldwide. Processed foods: Health risks and dangers

Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Sage

I used to invite groups of people with no thought that they wouldn't be pleased.

They ate and they drank and they seemed to enjoy themselves and we enjoyed having these large groups which often included children and neighbors as well as social friends.

Now I would not be so confident.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-18-2018 at 12:16 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sauce, cauliflower, fresh, lovely, cheese

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.