Caveat Emptor Watermelon Prices

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM
Default Caveat Emptor Watermelon Prices

Being an engineer, I am over analytical. Sometimes this is a curse, sometimes a blessing. The other day, I was shopping for watermelon in Publix (I have determined that what I am about to tell you is true for Winn-Dixie too) and needed to decide whether to buy the whole melon, 1/4 melon, sliced melon, or chunks.

The whole melon was out...did not need that much. So my initial reaction was to go for the pre-chunked package.....after all, it is damned convenient that way.....but then the engineer voice in my head told me to analyze.

Quarter melon wrapped in plastic was .79 a pound.
If they slice that 1/4 melon, slap it on some styrofoam and wrap it, the price goes up by $1.00 per pound.
If they cut it into chunks and stick it in a cheap plastic container, the price goes up to $3.79 per pound.

Some quick math results in this.....they value the labor to chunk that melon at about $300.00 per hour.
I buy the quarters.
Yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

Last edited by Pepperhead; 10-09-2013 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post
Being an engineer, I am over analytical. Sometimes this is a curse, sometimes a blessing. The other day, I was shopping for watermelon in Publix (I have determined that what I am about to tell you is true for Winn-Dixie too) and needed to decide whether to buy the whole melon, 1/4 melon, sliced melon, or chunks.

The whole melon was out...did not need that much. So my initial reaction was to go for the pre-chunked package.....after all, it is damned convenient that way.....but then the engineer voice in my head told me to analyze.

If they slice that 1/4 melon, slap it on some styrofoam and wrap it, the price goes up by $1.00 per pound.
If they cut it into chunks and stick it in a cheap plastic container, the price goes up to $3.79.

Some quick math results in this.....they value the labor to chunk that melon at about $300.00 per hour.
I buy the quarters.

Yes, you may have too much time on your hands but you gave me a good laugh. I'll keep this information in mind, thank you!
Old 10-09-2013, 04:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post

If they cut it into chunks and stick it in a cheap plastic container, the price goes up to $3.79.

I buy the quarters.
Thanks for the info - informative for sure!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 10-09-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Wow. Thanks for doing that math. I bet it holds true for all the pre-sliced fruits too.
Old 10-09-2013, 05:47 PM
Sage

probably cheaper to buy the whole melon and throw away half of it!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.