Chicken Salad

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2020, 05:33 AM

It’s a personal preference. I like my chicken salad with smaller almost pulled pieces. I also add shaved lettuce, carrot, red onion and toasted almonds.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:39 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Nannyof3 Send a message via AIM to Nannyof3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nannyof3 Send a message via Skype™ to Nannyof3
Default Chicken salad

I like to shred it using 2 forks or just my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
okay, totally not sure if this is the right subset of this forum to post this in...but I can't seem to find another appropriate one...so here goes and the moderators will reassign it if needed

my wife has Alzheimer's... so I'm doing all of the meal prep, cooking, menu planning and buying, etc...no big deal, I signed on for life, she's the love of my life. We both liked to cook and we took many cooking classes together over the years...so I know how to cook

however...now I'm faced with taking care of 'the left overs'....lol... in the past that was always way above my pay grade thankfully....lol

so, a meal that we make often is 'Basil Chicken'...chicken breasts with skin on and bone in, and we stuff about 8 basil leaves under the skin of each breast....fantastic taste

anyway...there's always a lot of chicken left over....which in the past my wife made into chicken salad for sandwiches.

so here's my question....should I just rough chop the left over chicken and leave it in big chunks, or should I fine chop the chicken for the sandwiches....yes I'm going to add celery and mayo

hey...what can I say...I was always the chef or the sous chef and never had to bother with the leftovers (I'd always help with the drying of the dishes though)

thanks for any advice you may share...

it's tougher than I ever thought it would be being 'the care taker'...and I just want to be able to please my wife with a great chicken salad sandwich. We go on picnics a lot now that covid-19 is here...it gets us out.

I am so grateful that we are in TV...there are so many folks that will help....and it truly does make a huge difference. We are blessed that our church family is so great...and that we have 1st cousins living in TV

And this forum gives me a lot of joy...and a break from being "on" 24x 7

please, just tell me how you chop the left over chicken for sandwiches...it's really just that darn simple of a question...and I feel silly reaching out on this, but I am
Old 06-24-2020, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Another great thing to make simply:
Chicken pot pies
Premade shell
Chicken cut up
One can mixed vegetables don't drain!
One can of cream of chicken OR cream of mushroom . no need to add water if you use the vegetables from can.
One hour at 350 in oven
Use a tin pie pan and place onto a metal tray for easy cleanup
Place a little tin foil on edges or use a Silicon ring .
Good for a week in refrigerator
Can microwave leftovers 2 minutes .easy peasy . season to taste before cooking . . I use oregano or a Italian spice mix and salt pepper
Old 06-24-2020, 05:44 AM
Veteran member

And bless you .don't forget to take care of yourself too .
Old 06-24-2020, 05:44 AM

I know where you are coming from. My wife who passed away three years ago, had altzheimers. I likewise took care of her, mostly, although the last few months Cornerstone Hospise was a great help.Now, as far as the salad, I would suggest that you fine chop it, since there is a good likelihood that your wife at some point will have difficulty eating, and the softer and more fluid something is, the better it will go down.Best wishes...
Old 06-24-2020, 05:45 AM

I like to chop mine fairly small. It mixes better. Thank you for being such a good husband to your wife.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:46 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:
thank you...what size do you usually chop to 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch??
I cut mine into very small chunks and actually mush (is that a word?) the dressing into the chicken with a fork making it into almost a slightly chunky paste. It just depends on how big of chunks you like and the texture you prefer. I make my dressing by mixing mayo, couple of spoonfulls of honey and some minced garlic to taste. Blend that into the chicken and then add in chopped walnuts with some halved grapes. Its really delicious. Oh yeah, salt n pepper too. My other way is just mayo, celery, diced onions n lots of blk pepper n little salt. Both ways are great
Old 06-24-2020, 05:49 AM

I like to shred mine with my fingers! I also love to add a boiled egg or two, sometimes grapes cut in half and also toasted walnuts (put in cold dry pan then cook on medium and toss till they start to get light brown!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
thank you...what size do you usually chop to 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch??
For sandwiches, cut smaller.

We like it on a plate with a little lettuce underneath to eat with it and make it look pretty. I like to add generous amounts of Hellmann's Mayonnaise, a tablespoon or two of grated cheddar cheese, finely cut onion and maybe some nice grapes halved.

I know we all worry about Alzheimers changing our lives and taking our loved ones away.. Sending kind and caring thoughts to the both of you from the both of us.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathe View Post
You are a wonderful man and she is a lucky lady!
I second that!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:04 AM

I like to add curry and raisins to my chicken salad along with finely diced celery, onions, Hellman's mayo and a tad of mustard. I prefer to have the chicken in smaller pieces.
Chicken Ala King is easy to make and goes well over rice, mashed potatoes or stuffing.
Hope all goes well for you and your wife.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
okay, totally not sure if this is the right subset of this forum to post this in...but I can't seem to find another appropriate one...so here goes and the moderators will reassign it if needed

my wife has Alzheimer's... so I'm doing all of the meal prep, cooking, menu planning and buying, etc...no big deal, I signed on for life, she's the love of my life. We both liked to cook and we took many cooking classes together over the years...so I know how to cook

however...now I'm faced with taking care of 'the left overs'....lol... in the past that was always way above my pay grade thankfully....lol

so, a meal that we make often is 'Basil Chicken'...chicken breasts with skin on and bone in, and we stuff about 8 basil leaves under the skin of each breast....fantastic taste

anyway...there's always a lot of chicken left over....which in the past my wife made into chicken salad for sandwiches.

so here's my question....should I just rough chop the left over chicken and leave it in big chunks, or should I fine chop the chicken for the sandwiches....yes I'm going to add celery and mayo

hey...what can I say...I was always the chef or the sous chef and never had to bother with the leftovers (I'd always help with the drying of the dishes though)

thanks for any advice you may share...

it's tougher than I ever thought it would be being 'the care taker'...and I just want to be able to please my wife with a great chicken salad sandwich. We go on picnics a lot now that covid-19 is here...it gets us out.

I am so grateful that we are in TV...there are so many folks that will help....and it truly does make a huge difference. We are blessed that our church family is so great...and that we have 1st cousins living in TV

And this forum gives me a lot of joy...and a break from being "on" 24x 7

please, just tell me how you chop the left over chicken for sandwiches...it's really just that darn simple of a question...and I feel silly reaching out on this, but I am
I was the caregiver for my wife for 8.5 years. What you are doing is very admirable, I know all about it. You will not regret it. God Bless!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:24 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Good for you for taking on the caretaker role with such a difficult disease to face. I'm sure you've figured the size of chunks with all these responses, and I thank you for the reminder of how nice a picnic outing is. Will do that myself soon!
Old 06-24-2020, 06:25 AM
Default Chicken Smoothie

Easy, use the Vitamix, and make a chicken smoothie with all veggies. Easy!

Old 06-24-2020, 06:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdelange View Post
I know where you are coming from. My wife who passed away three years ago, had altzheimers. I likewise took care of her, mostly, although the last few months Cornerstone Hospise was a great help.Now, as far as the salad, I would suggest that you fine chop it, since there is a good likelihood that your wife at some point will have difficulty eating, and the softer and more fluid something is, the better it will go down.Best wishes...
Thank you....she's eating okay now, no issues but good advice for the future
Closed Thread

Tags
chicken, left, sandwiches, chop, lot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.