Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Cold German Potato Salad

4 large potatoes -- Boil in their jackets, peel and slice
Dice: 5 thick slices of bacon
Prepare: 1 Cup chopped onion
Optional: 1/4-1/2 Cup fresh chopped Parsley (I prefer the Italian curly, not the flat leaf)

Mix dressing ingredients in measuring cup:
¼ Cup wine vinegar
¼ Cup water
¼ Cup sugar
1 T bacon drippings
Use to taste: salt and pepper

1. Fry the diced bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until almost crisp.
2. Add chopped onion and continue stirring until onion is cooked and turns slightly golden brown.
3. Add mixed dressing ingredients, heat and stir until mixture boils and sugar is dissolved.
4. Add sliced potatoes and parsley, mixing everything together well.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, for at least 10 minutes, or until the potatoes have absorbed all the liquid and are heated through. Continue heating and turning the mixture over for another 5 to 10 minutes. May allow to stand for additional 10-15 minutes to let the flavors blend completely.

(This one can be served warm or cold. If cold, you may need to add a little more wine vinegar with water.)

THE FOLLOWING IS A PURE COLD GERMAN POTATO SALAD (but the first is the more classic.)

8 to 10 med. sized potatoes
6 hard boiled eggs
1 med. chopped onion
1/4 cup white vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup salad oil

Boil , cool and slice potatoes Slice eggs thinly add chopped onion, mix together.
Add oil & vinegar.
Add salt & pepper.
May add small amount of water or oil if it seems dry.

Chill 2 to 3 hours.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Cold German Potato Salad

Saw this post for the first time just now. All I can say is bring it on. I've been making the hot version for years...love it. I am going to try the cold version, it sounds great. Love German food.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.