Comfort Food

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Eternal Member
Default Comfort Food

I was looking at the grocery ads last week and noticed that Bay Watch has stew meat on sale. Ever since, I've had a real craving for some beef stew. As everyone knows, however, stew is a winter meal, best served when there's frost on the pumpkin and a chill in the air. Unfortunately, while our brethren to the north have been getting somewhat appropriate weather, we've had to suffer through all these days in the 70's and even 80's. Where's the justice?

Finally I couldn't take it and had to make a batch of bachelor stew. Forget the outside temps. I bought a couple lbs of great looking stew beef and the other fixin's and started cooking today. To get in the mood, I turned on the air conditioner as low as possible. I was going to spray my windows with that old fashioned fake frost we used to use at Xmas. Unfortunately, I had none of it nor could find it at any of the stores. I didn't want to use spray paint, so I tried spraying the windows with shaving cream. Not bad.

I figure the stew has about another 4 hours of cooking, so my first taste should be about 2:00 AM. Temps should be pretty low by then, if the AC holds out. And since it's impossible to make a small batch of stew, and it always tastes better reheated, I'll have real comfort food for about a week.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-11-2008, 03:45 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Re: Comfort Food

Muncle,

I did not know that you were such a big meany.

The snow has not reached us yet. It is predicted to be on its way later in the week.

But here the wind has been blowing and blowing and blowing. I really hate a cold wind blowing. It's a good thing I was not one of those poor women who, after having lovingly packed her china in the flour she had to schlep so she could cook, had to head west in a covered wagon. Had I been born to do such a thing, I would no doubt have gone stark raving mad from listening to those prairie winds, and I would have gone on a rampage and slaughtered everyone in my path.

And, yes, I was, in fact, planning to make stew this week.

So anyway, I hope you get that silly beard caught in your printing press.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:48 AM
Gold member

Leaving upstate NY day after tomorrow (10 degrees predicted for tonight, the wind is howling, and there are snow white-outs...) driving SOUTH to TV! Can't wait!!! Though meat loaf is usually my comfort food, the stew sounds great; do save some for us, please.... '-)
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

Now I have the urge for Beef Stew...I think that 3 degrees calls for some stew and a truck load of ......VALIUMSThe Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2008, 08:45 AM
Eternal Member

At 2:00 AM, I figured the stew was done enough for the first tasting --- okay actually 3+ servings. It was gooooood, just what I needed. :bigthumbsup: I think I'll probably throw in a couple more chiles when I reheat tomorrow and likely add a few more potatoes. It's really fine now, but a couple small red chiles add just a tang that is wonderful. :hot:

Now I can turn the AC off, maybe wipe the shaving cream from the windows, and put the crock pot in the frig until tomorrow ~~~ I really don't like to use a crock pot, but I lost my dutch oven during my move and haven't found a decent replacement in over 2 years of kinda lookin'.

Maybe I''ll have one more small plateful before I hit the sack. :2cool:
Old 02-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Eternal Member

Muncle,
Thanks for the update!!

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,

Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

That sounds so good! Especially since I'm on my way to work in 10 degree (W.C. -10) windy, gusting, howling winds. Whadddaya wanna bet 1/2 my gas meter jobs will be outside? lol
Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Muncle -- Always love trying new crockpot recipes (okay, any recipes). Could you share with us, please? Oh, and glad you liked your stew. I made some two weeks ago.

Hmmm ... Maybe we could have a TOTV stew cookoff. Should be perfect to do in say March or April. rofl

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Eternal Member

We need a section for recipes...

Muncle..Please do give us the recipe...I love stew :bigthumbsup:

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Sage

Muncle,

Tieing back to your Trader Joe's lament....that is one of the main items we have our TJ's courier bring us from DC...their house brand canned beef stew. It is delicious and only takes 5 mins from can to bowl....much more efficient than slow cooking in the crock pot. I'll sell you a can at black market cost of $10. (only a 150% markup).
Old 02-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

they used to have a Dutch Oven as an optional upgrade, back in the good 'ol days. :'(
Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Eternal Member

Well, I had a couple more servings of my stew this evening and it was great, even in this 60 degree weather. It really is better reheated. Some folks asked for the recipe, which I will gladly share, but remember; this is called “Bachelor Stew” for a reason. I was told about this by a young lady many years ago. She naturally assumed that since I was a male, I couldn’t cook. (For you youngsters, this was a common misconception in the 70’s and even 80’s.) I didn’t want to disabuse her, especially since one of my culinary weaknesses has always been gravies. So here’s the recipe so simple that even a bachelor can do it.

Get a big pan, Dutch oven, or crock pot. Add a few cans of cream of mushroom soup and about ½ has many cans of French onion soup. You can sub a can of Golden Mushroom for one of the regulars. Use at least 2 mushrooms for each of the onion soups. Quantity depends on the size of the pot and how big a batch you want. Cook over a low heat for awhile, stirring the soups until blended thoroughly.

Season as desired. I add pepper and garlic and like to throw in a couple small red Thai chiles.

Brown some beef stew meat, either dredged in flour or not. Pound and a half or so, depending on the batch size.

Add to soup mixture and cook over low heat for a couple hours. Stir periodically.

Add a bunch of potatoes. I cheat and use a few cans of whole potatoes. If desired, add an onion, quartered, or as I sometime do, a bunch of pearl onions. If you’re a health nut, you can also add some carrots and other veggies.

Cook over that same low heat until done. Then cook a couple hours more. Can be refrigged and reheated.

Notes: Especially if you don’t dredge, you may want to add a roux to thicken the gravy. If so, do it before you add the veggies.

If you can’t find French Onion soup, or just don’t want to use it, substitute beef broth.

If you have no religious objections, and have some lying around the house, you might want to add a splash or 6 or 7 of red wine. It’ll add a good flavor and if you serve it with a crusty bread, you can call it Boeuf Bourgignon and wear a toque.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Platinum member

Man my wife can't spill milk on corn flakes. You live where ???? ;D
Old 05-27-2008, 11:47 PM
Default Ceiling Cutlets

First, let me preface this by saying I'm a twin ... therefore share only 1/2 of the sin.

My Mother was going to serve veal cutlets and had pounded them out ready for a flour coating? Anyway my TWIN brother and i discovered them on the kitchen table. Tried tossing them around. We were, maybe, 6 years old so had decent arms.

Well, they kinda stuck to the side of the stove, but we hit paydirt with "cutlets on the ceiling". Man, did they stick up there.

She came back to the kitchen and saw they were missing, but where were they? One peeled off the ceiling and the mystery was solved.... cutlets on the ceiling.

enjoy!
dean

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.