Comfort food at our house;

Comfort food at our house;

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 06:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I love crab cakes! Steam crabs, etc. So sorry you can't enjoy the best we have on the Chesapeake Bay.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I love crab cakes! Steam crabs, etc. So sorry you can't enjoy the best we have on the Chesapeake Bay.
I was in your home town last week for a national convention on Williams Syndrome. I loved crab cakes before I became allergic to shellfish. We walked from our hotel to the Little Italy section which had an area roped off for the convention. Excellent food but also very expensive, compared to Ohio and The Villages. I noted that an entrée with crab cakes was in the twenty dollar range in Baltimore. Is that typical now, or just in the downtown tourist area?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:27 AM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I was in your home town last week for a national convention on Williams Syndrome. I loved crab cakes before I became allergic to shellfish. We walked from our hotel to the Little Italy section which had an area roped off for the convention. Excellent food but also very expensive, compared to Ohio and The Villages. I noted that an entrée with crab cakes was in the twenty dollar range in Baltimore. Is that typical now, or just in the downtown tourist area?
I had the pleasure of dining at G and M Resaurant in Linthicum Heights, MD with extended family Wednesday evening. Every crab dish was delicious! The place was packed. Long waiting lines. Felt a little like Haussner’s of bygone days. Zagat

Haussner's Restaurant - Wikipedia

Kalbi (Korean short ribs) is my new comfort food. Kalbi (Korean Barbequed Beef Short Ribs) Recipe | Food Network

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 07-21-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I am lucky to live in the Northern Neck of Virginia. We are a rural fishing/farming area, yet within an hour of Richmond. We have great seafood!

I take Mom and Dad to lunch several times a week and all she will order are crab cakes! $8 to $12 at our restaurants w/extras included. All delicious.

We are so blessed with all this fresh seafood and vegies!
Salmon Patties
Old 07-21-2018, 05:11 PM

Default Salmon Patties

Quote:
Food & Fun - Salmon Cakes

I am allergic to shellfish so these are MY faux "crab cakes".
That’s a really good recipe...just got around to making it. So yummy. That’s going to be my go to comfort food at home. I also made the fresh homemade tartar sauce. Very nice. Oh BTW...I am also allergic to shellfish so this hit the spot. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Oh BTW... Can you freeze this mixture before cooking or after? Have you done this?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doro22 View Post
Oh BTW... Can you freeze this mixture before cooking or after? Have you done this?
I am not sure. I would be hesitant because of the raw egg.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
I spend $20 for crab to make my cakes. $20 in a restaurant depends on the size, probably on the small side. I put mine in the freezer until they are firm, before I sear them in a hot pan, or air fry.
You can freeze salmon cakes, just make sure you vacuum seal, they freezer burn pretty quick
Old 07-22-2018, 05:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
Salmon cakes with crushed tomatoes, sugar, and macaroni. Yum
Fredman? The macaroni with crushed tomatoes and sugar, does it also have butter? Sort of like the sweet stewed tomatoes with bread that we love in the Midwest?
Old 07-22-2018, 05:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Love salmon cakes. Served with creamed peas. Yumm This is the recipe I use.

2 strips bacon, cooked until crispy, crumbled, bacon fat reserved
1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 egg, 1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 lemon, zested, 1 pound salmon, cut into small pieces
1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and fluffed with a fork
1/4 cup bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions

Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Cool the onions for a bit.

Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the salmon and potato, mixing gently after each addition. Form the mixture into 12 small patties. In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste. Coat the patties in the bread crumb topping. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add more oil, as necessary. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.
Recipe sounds really good! I love creamed peas too. Do you add a bit of sugar?

Tags
shellfish, cakes, crab, faux, allergic