Cost of Recycling Bags

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2020, 05:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Cost of Recycling Bags

I am out of clear recycling bags and shopped for them in Publix yesterday, I could not believe the price. Almost $11.00 for 45 bags. I thought the price was outrageous. Has anyone found a clear plastic bag at a more reasonable price. I finally purchased a roll of 70 bags that are organic and will break down in a landfill for $4.50, so if they throw my clean recyclables into a landfill at least the bag will break down

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-09-2020, 06:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

There are lots of choices on Amazon - all sizes and price ranges.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

If you live in Lake County you can get a recycle bin from the county. Waste Management (the company) recognizes them and will empty them. I don't know how the other counties handle it, or if your CDD pays for trash pickup (we don't have a CDD here in the Historic section).

But this is obviously an issue - why would anyone want to buy "virgin plastic" brand new bags, for the exclusive purpose of collecting recycling? It defeats the purpose. The whole point is to NOT have to use so much virgin plastic. That's why things get recycled. I would suggest maybe the next time you have a CDD meeting, propose a recycling bin program. If Waste Management is handling your pickup, they're already familiar with the process and they do it in communities all over the country. So there would be no logistics problem on their end.

The bins are small, the size of a medium tote box that fits on your pantry closet.floor. Since you're only putting empty boxes and cans and plastics in it, it's lightweight (under 5 pounds usually). So it's easy to get in and out of your house. And since it's only got EMPTY stuff that's been rinsed, you don't have to worry about smells or bugs or vermin, and it doesn't need a liner.

What I do with mine is - if I get paper bags from take-out joints, those become the receptacles for my newspaper and empty, cleaned cat food and other food cans. Large plastic containers (water jugs, iced tea containers, etc) go loose in the bin. That way even a stiff breeze won't blow the smaller things around, AND the paper bag is recyclable so it gets dumped as well. The WM guy just picks the whole thing up, tips it over into his truck, and puts it back down, empty, on the ground where he got it.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If you live in Lake County you can get a recycle bin from the county. Waste Management (the company) recognizes them and will empty them. I don't know how the other counties handle it, or if your CDD pays for trash pickup (we don't have a CDD here in the Historic section).

But this is obviously an issue - why would anyone want to buy "virgin plastic" brand new bags, for the exclusive purpose of collecting recycling? It defeats the purpose. The whole point is to NOT have to use so much virgin plastic. That's why things get recycled. I would suggest maybe the next time you have a CDD meeting, propose a recycling bin program. If Waste Management is handling your pickup, they're already familiar with the process and they do it in communities all over the country. So there would be no logistics problem on their end.

The bins are small, the size of a medium tote box that fits on your pantry closet.floor. Since you're only putting empty boxes and cans and plastics in it, it's lightweight (under 5 pounds usually). So it's easy to get in and out of your house. And since it's only got EMPTY stuff that's been rinsed, you don't have to worry about smells or bugs or vermin, and it doesn't need a liner.

What I do with mine is - if I get paper bags from take-out joints, those become the receptacles for my newspaper and empty, cleaned cat food and other food cans. Large plastic containers (water jugs, iced tea containers, etc) go loose in the bin. That way even a stiff breeze won't blow the smaller things around, AND the paper bag is recyclable so it gets dumped as well. The WM guy just picks the whole thing up, tips it over into his truck, and puts it back down, empty, on the ground where he got it.
Trash cans aren't allowed where we live in Sumter County. And while I am on the subject of trash... I was running close on an appointment when I drove out of the drive way and saw two enormous black birds tearing apart the garbage bag and strewing trash across the driveway and lawn. I didn't stop to pick it up because I would be late, BUT when I returned the people who drive the truck must have walked around the driveway and yard and picked it up. I cannot tell you how much I think of them and well, honor them.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

I agree on the "virgin plastic" bags.

All my life, I've much preferred those...with experience.

And don't EVEN get me started on that..."extra virgin olive oil" thing.

Old 03-09-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:

According to the District Administration Office, recycling bins are not allowed in any part of The Villages, regardless of which County you live in.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Well, this is all interesting information, but the only person who actually told me what I neded to know was RetiredGuy. Thank you, I have ordered a gazillion clear plastic bags for cheap money. However, I do have to agree on using plastic bags that are not disposable, makes no sense at all.

By the way, my trash men did not take my disposable bag of recycling this morning, even though it was semi-transparent. I presume it is now headed for either the incinerator or the dump. I will be at the Recycling Meeting and hope to have my voice heard on this very important subject.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-09-2020, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
According to the District Administration Office, recycling bins are not allowed in any part of The Villages, regardless of which County you live in.
Again - my section of the villages is not governed by a CDD. Under the VCCDD info (which is the closest we get to any CDD at all) the VCCDD is comprised exclusively of commercial properties. That means residential properties are not covered by their governance.

Many of us have recycling bins, it's a non-issue on our side of the bridge.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

20 bags $2.62 at Walmart and Neighborhood Walmart. If you need larger than 30 gallon, they have 39 gallon as well.

The Villages Florida
Old 03-10-2020, 06:21 AM

Can't help with the location and cost of clear bags, but something happened the other day that got me scratching my head. Tuesday is our trash pick up day and Wednesday is for yard waste. On Monday, I trimmed a tree and placed the branches and other yard debris out at the curb; separate from the house trash. Came home later on Tuesday and found all the yard waste gone. It wasn't the waste fairy who pilfered the debris but the normal trash folks, so says my neighbor.

My question is, does all yard waste go to the standard trash land fill? I thought the yard waste was processed separately/differently. Color me disappointed if the 2 land fills are one in the same.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:25 AM
Default Recycle bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I am out of clear recycling bags and shopped for them in Publix yesterday, I could not believe the price. Almost $11.00 for 45 bags. I thought the price was outrageous. Has anyone found a clear plastic bag at a more reasonable price. I finally purchased a roll of 70 bags that are organic and will break down in a landfill for $4.50, so if they throw my clean recyclables into a landfill at least the bag will break down
Where did you find the recycle bags fir 4.50?
Old 03-10-2020, 06:30 AM

Go to Amazon.com and buy. Just purchased 3 boxes of Glad 13 gallon (45 count) clear bags for $4.99 per box. Even with delivery cost purchase was less than $20.00.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

There is a difference between a clear bag, and a recycling bag that breaks down
Old 03-10-2020, 06:36 AM

Back home in Illinois each house was provided two or three large bins: one for lawn waste, recyclables, and garbage. Separate, specially designed trucks with giant claws would pick up the bin and dump the contents into the truck. Bags were only acceptable for the garbage. No waste, no cost. The trucks were hydrogen or natural gas-fueled. This seemed a far more ecologically-correct method. Just sayin’.

Last edited by WindyCityzen; 03-10-2020 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 03-10-2020, 07:01 AM

After the NSCUDD March 27 meeting, none of us may be doing any recycling.
Closed Thread

Tags
bags, price, break, landfill, clear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.