cooking question

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Sage
Default cooking question

First off I would like to thank the poster a while back who recommended the Pioneer Woman Cooks website for recipes and advice. I go there quite a bit.

I want to make this:

Chicken Cacciatore
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 1 Hour15 Minutes Difficulty: Easy Servings: 6

Print Recipe
Ingredients
1 pound Pasta Or Egg Noodles
8 whole Chicken Thighs, Skin On (can Use Any Whole Piece Chicken)
Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
1/2 cup All-purpose Flour
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 whole Medium Onion, Halved And Sliced
2 whole Red Bell Peppers, Cored And Sliced (not Too Thin)
2 whole Green Bell Peppers, Cored And Sliced (not Too Thin)
5 cloves Garlic, Diced
12 ounces, weight Mushrooms (white Or Crimini), Sliced
1/2 teaspoon Ground Thyme
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt
Red Pepper Flakes, Crushed, To Taste (optional)
3/4 cups Dry White Wine
1 can (28 Ounce) Whole Or Diced Tomatoes (with Their Juice)
Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
Parmesan Cheese, For Sprinkling
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F).
Cook pasta according to package directions. Do not overcook! Drain and set aside.
Salt and pepper both sides of the pieces of chicken. Dredge chicken in flour. Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy skillet or Dutch oven on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Place chicken skin down in pan, four pieces at a time. Brown chicken on both sides, then remove to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining chicken. Pour off half the fat in the pan and discard.
Add sliced onions and peppers, as well as the garlic. Stir around for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and stir around for 1 minute. Add thyme, turmeric, and salt. (And crushed red pepper flakes if you like things a little spicy.) Add extra black pepper to taste. Stir, then pour in wine. Allow to bubble.
Pour in canned tomatoes and stir to combine. Add chicken back into the pan, skin side up, without totally submerging the chicken. Place lid on the pot and put it into the oven for 45 minutes. Remove lid and increase heat to 375 degrees. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Remove pan from the oven. Remove chicken from the pot and place it on a plate. Remove vegetables from pot and place them on a plate. Return pot to burner and turn heat to medium high. Cook and reduce sauce for a couple of minutes.
Pour cooked, drained noodles on a large platter or in a big serving bowl. Add vegetables all over the top, then place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables. Spoon juices from the pot over the chicken and pasta (amount to taste.)
Before serving, sprinkle on chopped fresh parsley and grated Parmesan.

And I want to golf on the same day. My questions are:

Can I brown the chicken in the morning and put it back in the fridge than braise it later after golf? Is it safe to partially cook meat and finish it off later. I think I read that it is.

Or
Can I brown the chicken and just put everything in a crock pot so it's done after golf? I'm afraid this will come out too mushy.

I will not make the pasta ahead of time.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Sage

I may be the person who recommended Pioneer Woman as she is my hero. I watch every episode and make her recipes all of the time. I personally don't think you should try to do this in the crock pot. It is cooked for a while with and without the lid. It would affect the consistancy of the sauce and the browning effect. It could possibly come runny and mushy. I would think there would be no reason you cannot brown the chicken ahead of time and put it in the fridge storing it in the pan you cooked it in. You will need some of the grease and brown bits for flavor. You would have to allow for the fact that the chicken is cold when removing it from the fridge possibly adjusting the cooking time slightly. Personally I would do it all at once when you get home from golf or save it for a day when you are home all day.

Here is a link to some crock pot versions on Pinterest. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...tocomplete%7C0
Old 03-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I may be the person who recommended Pioneer Woman as she is my hero. I watch every episode and make her recipes all of the time. I personally don't think you should try to do this in the crock pot. It is cooked for a while with and without the lid. It would affect the consistancy of the sauce and the browning effect. It could possibly come runny and mushy. I would think there would be no reason you cannot brown the chicken ahead of time and put it in the fridge storing it in the pan you cooked it in. You will need some of the grease and brown bits for flavor. You would have to allow for the fact that the chicken is cold when removing it from the fridge possibly adjusting the cooking time slightly. Personally I would do it all at once when you get home from golf or save it for a day when you are home all day.

Here is a link to some crock pot versions on Pinterest. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...tocomplete%7C0
It was you-and thank-you again. I found a crock pot version from your link that I might try. You brown the chicken on both sides for 7 minutes before putting it in the crock pot.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:43 PM
Sage

I'm glad you found a recipe you liked for the crock pot version. They have probably already adjusted the recipe for the crock pot so the consistency of the sauce will be correct. Looks good. I might try that myself.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.