DIY Yogurt---Can I make my own using a crockpot?

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Making yogurt is not a big of a deal. I do use a yogurt maker put all ingredients in, turn it on 12 hours later YOGURT.

Use a strainer to convert to Greek yogurt.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Making yogurt is not a big of a deal. I do use a yogurt maker put all ingredients in, turn it on 12 hours later YOGURT.

Use a strainer to convert to Greek yogurt.
which one? can you turn the whey into cheese by compressing it? does it taste like cream cheese?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
which one? can you turn the whey into cheese by compressing it? does it taste like cream cheese?
Is there another whey to do it?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Tom, you really need to do a search on home made Greek Yogurt ................. whey is liquid and it is never, ever, going to compress into anything other than liquid.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-01-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Is there another whey to do it?
I had that coming.
I sent a message and expecting to hear from my friend Chef Will who know everything about about making cheese from yogurt.
After all, if there's a Will there's a whey.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Tom, you really need to do a search on home made Greek Yogurt ................. whey is liquid and it is never, ever, going to compress into anything other than liquid.
I will. I misunderstood. I'm the one in the home ec class the "kindly extra teacher" gets to help.

Last edited by tomwed; 06-01-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
When my yogurt is finished I have a very fine sieve, that was passed down from my Greek godmother. I drain, to the consistency of a Greek yogurt. We dispose of the whey from yogurt, cottage cheese, or butter.

I have by mistake drained it too long and it actually was the same consistency as brick of cream cheese. I ended up using it as a dip or on bread.

I was taught as very young child how to make yogurt in a warmed oven. My godmother as she neared 90 fell in love with my yogurt maker. She was no longer capable of the labor intensive recipe she grew up with. But she always said the yogurt was close but not as good as the recipe passed down for generations.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:39 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed
I haven't made any yet. It takes a long time to prepare. The recipe calls for an active culture and I have been reading Don Quixote, going to art museums and listening to Yo Yo Ma and her son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Too funny! Better not make the Greek yogurt.
I was trying to imply that if you needed to go to these lengths to make yogurt you would probably need to study the Iliad to make Greek yogurt...but if you need to explain a joke it was pretty bad to start off with
Old 06-01-2018, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I had that coming.
I sent a message and expecting to hear from my friend Chef Will who know everything about about making cheese from yogurt.
After all, if there's a Will there's a whey.
By exhorting your Will...it sounds like you're doing it the right whey.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:48 AM

Actually bought a yogurt machine and did this a couple of times a few years back. Sorry, but in my opinion its just not worth the effort. The result was good but not good enough to offset the convenience of buying the stuff in the grocery store. There are after all lots of choices in the grocery, some mediocre and some darn delicious.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Actually bought a yogurt machine and did this a couple of times a few years back. Sorry, but in my opinion its just not worth the effort. The result was good but not good enough to offset the convenience of buying the stuff in the grocery store. There are after all lots of choices in the grocery, some mediocre and some darn delicious.
I agree that there are a couple of good brands out there, but it’s the endless list of additives that are a problem for us. My machine must be different. I pour in my ingredients, stir in my starter, and press start. Eight to twelve hours later I am eating yogurt, I make enough for the week, unless I have company over. Our boys were in for two weeks while I was gone, and made yogurt on their own neither will eat store bought.

Last edited by asianthree; 06-02-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I agree that there are a couple of good brands out there, but it’s the endless list of additives that are a problem for us.
Agree, I will not touch store bought yogurt after perfecting my own and I do it the old fashioned way in a saucepan!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Agree, I will not touch store bought yogurt after perfecting my own and I do it the old fashioned way in a saucepan!
So... what is the sauce pan method?

I have trouble finding 0% fat yogurt where we are, and I use it for our dog's intestinal health and for myself to put over fruit. My favorite in the TV area was Fage.

I'm thinking about making my own, because I can get 0% fat milk.

I have an Instant Pot, but it doesn't have a yogurt setting.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
So... what is the sauce pan method?

I have trouble finding 0% fat yogurt where we are, and I use it for our dog's intestinal health and for myself to put over fruit. My favorite in the TV area was Fage.

I'm thinking about making my own, because I can get 0% fat milk.

I have an Instant Pot, but it doesn't have a yogurt setting.
Oh, you will not like this .............. but, I don't eat anything fat free any more, nothing. Been doing some research on the body needing fat and now I eat fat. There is a school of thought that believes that the no fat craze led to so much obesity in this country. As you well know, the French eat plenty of fat foods and they are among the slimmest people you will meet. I'll pm you the Greek Yogurt method I use.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Which store bought is the best tasting, in your opinion? I buy Publix, fruit on bottom. I am the only yogurt eater in our house now.

Tags
milk, good, bottom, compare, notes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.