Dry Mustard??

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Dry Mustard??

Yes. That's what it says. Dry Mustard?? This could perhaps be the most boring thread start ever in TOTVland. Well second only to one maybe called just Mustard and my guess is that this will hang out there, all alone, unanswered, unable to be deleted by me because I started it. But I just don't care anymore.

And just so you know. I looked for the correct place to ask this question. I wanted the recipe thread and I could not find it. And I did try. For a minute. I do try to be a good citizen. But I really want an answer to this so here goes:

My computer is in my kitchen. Sometimes I am cooking and posting at the same time. Today I am making homemade mac and cheese for a side tonight when the in-laws arrive. My sister-in-law is an amazing cook. I am mediocre at best, on a good day.

Well, here's the problem:

My dry mustard is just not gettin' it for me anymore. It has not expired. It is a well-known brand. And it has now decided to put "organic" on the label but the kick just is not there.

I know there are some excellent cooks among you. I bet that some of you don't even have to measure anything.

So what is your favorite dry mustard?

And this really is a serious question. An outstanding cook that I know once went on and on about a brand that he swore by, but I cannot remember what it was. And I am tired of bland dry mustard.

The mac and cheese I just finished is not too bad but could be better with a little more kick.

Any thoughts on this important topic?

Oh and btw, I once heard that there is a Mustard Museum somewhere. I think it may be in Indiana. Does anybody know if I am making that up?

Help is always appreciated.

Boomer
Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Dry Mustard??

Boomer:

Just wanted to be sure that your plea didn't go unnoticed!

I've always had Colman's dry mustard in the house. My existing can is probably 25-30 years old :joke: so there probably isn't any fire to it at all, any more!

My dad used to eat the famously hot mustard served with duck sauce for egg rolls and such at chinese restaurants, by the spoonful! One eensy-teensy drop threatened to kill me! But, Dad lived to be 86, so I guess the hot stuff didn't kill him! My brother and his son-in-law vie to see who can survive the hottest of hot sauces. I help in their quest by trying to find exotic ones while cruising in the Caribbean!

There's a mustard museum in Norwich, England. I know, because I've been to it. I'm sure there's one in the U.S., but I don't know where. Sorry! :dontknow:

SWR
Old 04-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla
Boomer:

Just wanted to be sure that your plea didn't go unnoticed!

I've always had Colman's dry mustard in the house. My existing can is probably 25-30 years old :joke: so there probably isn't any fire to it at all, any more!

My dad used to eat the famously hot mustard served with duck sauce for egg rolls and such at chinese restaurants, by the spoonful! One eensy-teensy drop threatened to kill me! But, Dad lived to be 86, so I guess the hot stuff didn't kill him! My brother and his son-in-law vie to see who can survive the hottest of hot sauces. I help in their quest by trying to find exotic ones while cruising in the Caribbean!

There's a mustard museum in Norwich, England. I know, because I've been to it. I'm sure there's one in the U.S., but I don't know where. Sorry! :dontknow:

SWR
It is in Wisconsin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Horeb_Mustard_Museum
Old 04-13-2008, 07:25 PM

This is an important question. I've changed up the mustard in a couple of pork dishes trying to get a little more kick. When we get to TV, I want to enroll in some cooking classes. Are there any or is there a cooking club?
Old 04-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Look specifically for crushed mustard seeds. Much more "heat" in those. Otherwise, I'd go with Colman's. Your other alternative, which is what I frequently do, is use the wet mustard to suit how much heat my dish needs (from mild to burn holes in your tongue if eaten raw) -- 1/2 tsp dry is the same as 1/2 tsp wet; 1/2 tsp dry = 1/4 crushed mustard seeds.

Hope this helps.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-13-2008, 08:34 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
This is an important question. I've changed up the mustard in a couple of pork dishes trying to get a little more kick. When we get to TV, I want to enroll in some cooking classes. Are there any or is there a cooking club?
Yeah, Tom, the LL Learning Center has quite a few cooking classes. From the catalog, some look really interesting. And there are a couple "gourmet" clubs http://thevillagesgourmetclub.home.c...club/info.html

And probably by the time you get here, B3 will have formed a dry mustard club.

And remember one of the charms of TV. If you have a desire for a specific type of club and there isn't one, the rec folks will help you start it -- you're probably not the only one who'd be interested.

And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 04-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Platinum member

Colman's is what I've used when a recipe calls for dried mustard. I make a cheese sauce for vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.)consisting of a rue, milk, american white cheese, sherry and colman's or wet guldens spiced mustard as a substitute. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM time to cook!
Old 04-13-2008, 09:05 PM

If it's a, "kick" you need, try powered wasabi.........

Sailor's Wife..........Mother of two chefs
Old 04-13-2008, 09:13 PM

For Hot Chinese mustard, try this link: http://www.drhot.net/chinhotmuspo.html
Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
ilovesoup

I just use Grey Poupon. It's got a tangy kick.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Sailor's Wife (waiting for you to get your own nickname)

...never thought about using powdered wasabi but will definitely give it a try. Only use wasabi with our homemade California rolls but why not as a substitute for dry mustard ??? ??? ???

GREAT IDEA!

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Sage

One thing about wasabi -- warn people you have used it as a substitute. If someone is allergic to shellfish, the odds are they are allergic to wasabi as well (and any other horseradish) -- same nasty histimines in each (just not as much in horseradish).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks Red...didn't know that!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 AM
Sage

Not many do -- even those with shellfish allergies. I have an extreme allergy to shellfish. I LOVE sushi. Once pigged out on the stuff and had an anaphylactic reaction. No one could figure out why. Once I got out of the hospital, of course I had to go have more sushi. This time, the chef was very careful to make sure no shellfish touched my food, the knife, the cutting area, etc. Another trip to the hospital. Third time, took one bite of sushi and was rushed to hospital. The ER doc was the one who told me to avoid all horseradishes, especially wasabi. Checked with my allergist, he did some research -- yup, same proteins/histimines. So, it truly can be deadly for those with extreme allergies. Now, I just make sure there's no wasabi anywhere near my sushi and all is good with the world.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

So...anyone allergic to shellfish should have sushi sans shellfish sans wasabi, right? (I'm never too old to learn new things.)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.