Eggs

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Scrambled, over medium, omelets, hard boiled... with Pa homefries with onions and very crisp bacon.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-15-2018, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Recently, I have been making something that I remember my mother making, pickled hard boiled eggs with beets.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Recently, I have been making something that I remember my mother making, pickled hard boiled eggs with beets.

The Villages Florida
I have always loved you, Ecuadog, but you kinda lost me with the pickled eggs. (But I'm still your fan.)
Old 08-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Location: Springfield Oh Phoenix Az Melbourne Fl Lexington Ky

How about scrambled with sausage potatoes onions and green peppers wrapped in a tortilla with salsa and guacamole.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:08 PM

I forgot all about pickled eggs. If you went into any neighborhood tap room in the late 50s or early 60s a big glass jar of them sat on the self behind the bar. I was a kid but can not be the only " senior " that remembers them.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I have always loved you, Ecuadog, but you kinda lost me with the pickled eggs. (But I'm still your fan.)
They're like regular hard boiled eggs, but with more more color and more taste. I think they're a Penn Dutch thing.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-16-2018, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
I forgot all about pickled eggs. If you went into any neighborhood tap room in the late 50s or early 60s a big glass jar of them sat on the self behind the bar. I was a kid but can not be the only " senior " that remembers them.
I remember those jars of eggs. Almost mandatory with the second beer. The neighborhood tap room is an endangered species now. They lost their appeal to me when I turned 21 and could hit the trendier bars (the tap rooms rarely carded). Thanks for the memory jog.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

The Villages Florida
Have not had them for many many years. Part of my childhood. My father always made them at Easter.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
They're like regular hard boiled eggs, but with more more color and more taste. I think they're a Penn Dutch thing.

The Villages Florida
Gotta say that’s beautiful.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM
Gold member

Speaking of HB eggs, how do you get those perfectly peeled eggs? I have read many articles, including Julia Child’s treatise on the subject. Robert loves egg salad—mind you, eggs, Hellman’s and NOTHING else. Tried the egg cookers?

I did make egg salad this week and have developed a new theory: throw the hot eggs in an ice bath, but ONLY for two or three minutes. I have only one experience with this because I was in a big hurry. But I’ll try it again.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Speaking of HB eggs, how do you get those perfectly peeled eggs? I have read many articles, including Julia Child’s treatise on the subject. Robert loves egg salad—mind you, eggs, Hellman’s and NOTHING else. Tried the egg cookers?

I did make egg salad this week and have developed a new theory: throw the hot eggs in an ice bath, but ONLY for two or three minutes. I have only one experience with this because I was in a big hurry. But I’ll try it again.
This works for me (from Cook's Illustrated).

6 large eggs

Be sure to use large eggs that have no cracks and are cold from the refrigerator. If you don’t have a steamer basket, use a spoon or tongs to gently place the eggs in the water. It does not matter if the eggs are above the water or partially submerged. You can use this method for fewer than six eggs without altering the timing. You can also double this recipe as long as you use a pot and steamer basket large enough to hold the eggs in a single layer. There’s no need to peel the eggs right away. They can be stored in their shells and peeled when needed.

1. Bring 1 inch water to rolling boil in medium saucepan over high heat. Place eggs in steamer basket. Transfer basket to saucepan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook eggs for 13 minutes.

2. When eggs are almost finished cooking, combine 2 cups ice cubes and 2 cups cold water in medium bowl. Using tongs or spoon, transfer eggs to ice bath; let sit for 15 minutes.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Quiche of any sort with just baked sour dough bread spread with European butter and a good salad. Frittatas, again of any sort, rank second with third being Benedict and/or St. Charles.
I love European butter. Can you get it here?
Old 08-16-2018, 03:02 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Henryk;1572506]Speaking of HB eggs, how do you get those perfectly peeled eggs?

The Instant Pot makes perfect HB eggs. Never a peeling problem. Just put them in the pot, set the timer, and that's it. They peel perfectly.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:20 PM
Default Long history me and eggs

As a kid DR> Spock, or was that Star Treck, in any case, there was a book that all the mothers were reading how to raise your kids. Obviously like all of these books it is not always successful.
Back to eggs-the book suggested your growing kids eat plenty of eggs. I still have the Waring blender from my mother. She used to make a concoction of milk, chocolate syrup and RAW EGGS and toss it into the blemder. Hum with a long enough run time the kid could get calcium form any missed shells.

Then there was the hard boiled egg ebate. As a kid, at one time I liked the white and my mother as well as my grandmother would tell me the yoke was the best part. My taste changed and I started likeing only the yoke. MAGIC TURN AROUND-same mother and grandmother now told me the white was the best part. HUM-the good old days-IMPORTANT LESSON-LIFE EXPERIENCE-definition of ..........
SPIN.

In the recent past the same eggs have gone from an evil souce of salmonella, to an evil source cholesterol POISON.
I still have not forgotten the yellow vs white miracle transformation. Last think I read the same eggs are again good for you. Like most things, it depends on who is PAYING THE PEOPLE DOING THE STUDY.

TIPS-Aldis has the best price
We were just ther and they are $1.29.

Difference between brown and white eggs. I can't tell any difference in taste. The only difference is the type of chicken the eggs come from. Eggs do change depending on how old they are. We've eaten eggs that were laid a short time ago. Frankly, I was not used to them so I did not particularly like them-I LIED TO THE FRIENDS THAT MADE BREAKFAST AND SPENT A GREAT DEAL OF TIME TELLING US HOW FRESH THE EGGS WERE.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I love European butter. Can you get it here?
Fresh Market, Aldi's and Publix all have European butter. Look for the Irish butter in the Gold and Green wrapper. Have you tried the Amish Butter? It is very much like the European butter, slow churned and very creamy and very expensive .................. worth it though!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Closed Thread

Tags
eggs, fries, record, mine, sunny

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.