Fake food has to go!

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2019, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default Advertising

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Our youth has been brainwashed to blindly accept things labeled by certain buzzwords such as echo, green, sustainable, enviro friendly, etc... And God forbid they avoid anything that "empowers" them, whatever that means? Just label something with the appropriate buzzword and it is like mosquitos flying straight into the bug zapper.
Put enough ad dollars into it and you can sell anything.
Case in point-the bug zapper. If, you ever had one they do not catch mosquitoes which are not attracted to light. Most of what you catch are moths.

Brainwashed it perhaps the proper term. People have a instinct to belong to the in crowd. History shows this over and over and over again. A recent demonstration a master at it was Hitler.
The Hitler youth. It is far easier to control the young. Just the tool of propaganda and the wanting to belong to the in crowd and Hitler had children turning on their parents.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I remember Tang. Diet sodas which are extremely bad for people for numerous reasons I avoid like the plague. Cheap fake sugar sweetener made from corn is difficult to avoid but I try. My mother served oleo (gag!); I stick with real butter.

Fake meat is not for me. These kids are propagandized in school by radicals from outfits like PETA the schools let in to not eat real meat.
I think PETA is an acronym for "people eating tasty animals"
Old 06-11-2019, 11:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

OP, plant based foods and burgers are likely what your grandkids are talking about. There are several veggie type burgers at the grocery and some have found there way into restaurants. Burger King has a plant based burger in some of their restaurants and I have seen in the last couple of months “impossible meat” offered in a couple of Mexican grill restaurants. There has been research that claim you can reverse some heart related issues (closed arteries) by eating a plant based diet. Doctor Dean Ornish and his associates have been conducting this research for several years and proven plant based foods and a lifestyle with 30 minute a day exercise can make a difference with cardiac patients. Dr.deanornish.com
Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Yes, along with proteins derived from insects. Apparently fed to astronauts too. I have a neighbor that researches and produces this type of protein. We were just used to chocolate covered ants previously.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Why are some of you so angry? I can guarantee that no school had a PETA assembly to brainwash your grandchildren. Some people find foods enjoyable which others dislike. Bush hated broccoli. Whether a plant based diet is better for your health is debatable.

But there is nothing wrong with being aware of how your food choices may impact your health and the planet's health. There is no debate that the amount of water required to produce equivalent animal vs plant protein is huge. As well as differences in waste, fertilizers, pollutants both air and water, and greenhouse gases.

Science has become a dirty word in some communities. Funny how those same anti-science people all want the latest cancer treatment if they or a loved one needs oncologic care. And the best internet and cell phone. All brought to you by science.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage

Sometimes teachers teach what they think - I used to never try to teach something to a child that their parents would object to. Even if it was a method in mathematics. Never wanted to put a child in a position to try to decide who to believe. I did present alternative possibilities, but not brainwashing. I came from a Communist country as a child where brainwashing was the operating system.

I believe the insect protein my neighbor is working on is from worms, he says it tastes like chestnut purré.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Some generations grew up on Twinkies, Oreo's, Easy Cheese, Spaghetti-Os, Pop Tarts and Bacon Bits.

Oh, that was us.
You forgot Hamburger Helper.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Why are some of you so angry? I can guarantee that no school had a PETA assembly to brainwash your grandchildren. Some people find foods enjoyable which others dislike. Bush hated broccoli. Whether a plant based diet is better for your health is debatable.
I know PETA spokespersons were invited and came into at least one California school and spoke back in the 1990s. One child I knew well was severely adversely impacted by them. As I understand it the parents were not informed until it was over and too late. Tragic!

Humans evolved as omnivores. Historically Eskimos lived primarily on animal protein. Other cultures have been mostly vegetarian. Historically, most humans had no choice but to eat what was available to them and when it was available. The transition from hunting and gathering to farming for most was not a healthy move but that is what happened and resulted in huge gains to the human population although at great nutritional cost, at least initially. Probably the meat of modern domesticated for food animals is too fatty to be healthy, at least in quantity.

When I was young I ate a lot of red meat; now I rarely do. I currently mostly eat a variety of vegetables and fruit. I feel better eating that way at my age.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-11-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I don't like tofu at all. But I also understand that tofu isn't some newfangled fad. Consumption of tofu dates back around 2000 years and is a common ingredient in foods in China and other countries on the other side of the world.

I also understand that a lot of the rest of the world does not rely quite as heavily on meat as most Americans, and appreciate plant-based foods much more than we do. In general.

I'm not a vegetarian. I like steak, and burgers, and especially bacon. But I also like salads, and hummus, and other foods that are common in other parts of the world that aren't meat-based.

Might try opening your minds, those of you who make fun of non-meat foods. Or put your fear aside. Being afraid to try new things at your age is pretty silly. You have a lot less to lose, afterall.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

But there is nothing wrong with being aware of how your food choices may impact your health and the planet's health. There is no debate that the amount of water required to produce equivalent animal vs plant protein is huge. As well as differences in waste, fertilizers, pollutants both air and water, and greenhouse gases.

Science has become a dirty word in some communities. Funny how those same anti-science people all want the latest cancer treatment if they or a loved one needs oncologic care. And the best internet and cell phone. All brought to you by science.
Sad-but-oh-so-true.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Default Soya burger

Remember soya burger from the 1970's?
I tried eating that as a university student on a budget!
It never caught on until now, I guess
Old 06-11-2019, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmorris75 View Post
Remember soya burger from the 1970's?
I tried eating that as a university student on a budget!
It never caught on until now, I guess
As long as they don't bring back Soylent Green.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,221 Times in 928 Posts

Way back when I was a teenager I was running a combine harvesting soy beans for a neighbor farmer. I stopped at noon to go home and eat, our farm was less than 1/4 mile away. He invited me to eat with him and his wife saying she had cooked extra for me. They were vegetarians, a vegetarian farmer, who would have thought. They had some kind of vegetable meat substitute, it looked nasty but it didn't taste bad kinda blah. Definitely didn't taste like meat though. I'm sure it has improved considerably since then but haven't tried any of it. I do eat a lot more vegetable now than when I was young and there are days where we don't eat meat. I'll never be a vegetarian though.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:38 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Back in HS in the late 1950s I took a lot of Bob Hoffman's Hi-Proteen soybean powder mixed into milk shakes. Dinosaur Training: Did Hi-Proteen Kill Bob Hoffman? It tasted awful but I choked it down. Don't know if it helped but I gained 40 pounds of muscle. Of course strenuous bodybuilding workouts probably had something to do with that!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-11-2019, 08:52 PM
Sage

With a little creatine, I bet. At my gym GH was common and some people did steroids. But some didn’t. I remember these two high school kids in their last year trying to get a football scholarship to uni. They were in the gym 4-6 hours a day, every day. I asked who washed their clothes and they said their mom. They lived mostly on Whey powder drinks.
Closed Thread

Tags
eat, grandkids, real, fake, junk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.