Fake food has to go!

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2019, 09:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
With a little creatine, I bet. At my gym GH was common and some people did steroids. But some didn’t. I remember these two high school kids in their last year trying to get a football scholarship to uni. They were in the gym 4-6 hours a day, every day. I asked who washed their clothes and they said their mom. They lived mostly on Whey powder drinks.
Nah, this was before any of that was invented or became available. No growth hormone, steroids, creatine, any of that. Just soy powder. Yuk!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Cut out all fake food and get back to basics. A thick slice of Spam fried in real lard. Can't get any better than that!
Old 06-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Cut out all fake food and get back to basics. A thick slice of Spam fried in real lard. Can't get any better than that!
Oh yes, SPAM: Some Parts Are Meat.

Old joke.

Anyway, back to meat analogues (that's what they're called): tofurky, chik'n, field roast. All things that are made to resemble meat, or pretend to resemble meat, or cut like meat, taste like it, etc...but are absolutely not meat.

Vegans: if you really don't want to eat meat, that's your prerogative. But it's kind of self-defeating if you're just going to pretend you're eating meat. Either you want meat or you don't. If you do, stop whining about killing Porky, enjoy your bacon, and be done with it. If you don't, stop pretending to eat the stuff. It's embarrassing.

Good grief. You know there are some really AWESOME things you can eat, that aren't meat, and aren't trying to pretend to be meat either.

Plant-based foods that are delicious in their own right. Like hummus. And falafel smushed into a pita pocket with lettuce and ripe tomato and tons of tahini dressing.

Some folks absolutely love fried eggplant. There are some kickass bean soups that don't have even a smidge of animal product in them.

I just don't get the whole "fake meat" nonsense. Either eat meat, or don't. Eating fake meat is just fake eating.

I feel the same way about sugar substitutes too. Corn syrup is corn syrup, not a substitute for sugar. Same with maple syrup, honey, and agave. They're normal natural sweeteners that don't have to be fake anything. Sucralose, splenda, aspartame, sweet n low, all these things are fake. They're chemically created sugars and artificial sweeteners that are disgusting and your cake really tastes horrible when you bake with it, no matter how polite your guests are when they pretend it's delicious.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Diets are a funny thing. For me, carbohydrates are poison. Anything with white flour or sugar in it is never going into my mouth. I eat meat but seldom, mostly fish, beans, nuts, eggs, whole grains, fruit and vegetables. An occasional lean steak or pork loin is a treat, but not an everyday part of the diet. My three sisters are all vegetarians, and two of the three are seriously overweight. They claim that they eat healthy, but don't make the mistake of putting a box of Whitman Chocolates anywhere near them or they will disappear before your can blink.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

It’s so difficult to go very low on carbs.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-12-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

"Vegans: if you really don't want to eat meat, that's your prerogative. But it's kind of self-defeating if you're just going to pretend you're eating meat. Either you want meat or you don't. If you do, stop whining about killing Porky, enjoy your bacon, and be done with it. If you don't, stop pretending to eat the stuff. It's embarrassing."

I disagree with this. Some people stop eating meat because they don't believe in killing animals for food, and because raising animals for food creates an environmental hazard when done on a large scale. That doesn't mean they don't like the taste of meat. There are many reasons to stop eating meat. If someone comes up with a viable alternative for these people, it's not embarrassing for them to eat it. It is in keeping with their particular philosophy or health needs. I don't find that self defeating at all.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
As long as they don't bring back Soylent Green. lol
An old classic, along with this one...

The Villages Florida
Old 06-12-2019, 07:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
"Vegans: if you really don't want to eat meat, that's your prerogative. But it's kind of self-defeating if you're just going to pretend you're eating meat. Either you want meat or you don't. If you do, stop whining about killing Porky, enjoy your bacon, and be done with it. If you don't, stop pretending to eat the stuff. It's embarrassing."

I disagree with this. Some people stop eating meat because they don't believe in killing animals for food, and because raising animals for food creates an environmental hazard when done on a large scale. That doesn't mean they don't like the taste of meat. There are many reasons to stop eating meat. If someone comes up with a viable alternative for these people, it's not embarrassing for them to eat it. It is in keeping with their particular philosophy or health needs. I don't find that self defeating at all.
Those are the exact people I'm addressing. They pop up in fora all over the internet. At one point you'll see them say "even the smell of meat, seeing meat on someone else's plate, disgusts me. Every time I see a pork roast I'm reminded of those totes adorbs pigs back home who lived in our house and used the litter box OMG someone make them stop serving our sweet Betsy and Jimbob to the guests!" or some equally asinine tripe.

If it disgusts you, if the idea of eating meat gives you the creeps, then stop reminding yourself of meat by eating foods that are shaped and seasoned to smell JUST LIKE meat.

It's hypocritical and demonstrative that you're only choosing a vegan lifestyle because you got caught on the trend and backing out would prove you were wrong. And you can't do that.

I have seen perhaps - three people on the internet, and met one person in real life, who was vegan and actually walked the walk - embraced the lifestyle with their soul, rather than just their behavior.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Talking about personal beliefs, such as why a person is a vegan, lacto ovo, gluten free, or otherwise if you are not asked about it is just as impolite as talking about politics or religion. It is a personal belief or need and it should stay personal. To expect the world to follow is ridiculous.

I know in my old country parents and grandparents would cook something and try to force it on you whether you wanted to eat it or not. To me it shows disrespect. It is not ok to evangelize one’s beliefs except under the appropriate conditions. It is saying, “I’m right, you better listen to me!” It shows trying to control.

If someone serves something you don’t like, a “No, thank you” will do, and if you can’t stand the smell of meat (I seriously can’t stand the smell of cooking meat) then walk away or get a mask. If people want you there, they’ll ask why. Then you can say something as you have been invited to. Even evangelize. Usually if you relate it to good taste and health people will listen.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default We have allowed insanity to take over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have a cousin who insists her dog is vegetarian the same as her.
I slip it meat whenever I visit.
She can't understand why the dog is so friendly toward me.
The neighbor spotted me doing it once, but said "It's OK, I have been slipping the dog meat leftovers for ages!"
All you need do is suspend your prejudice and look at the digestive system of the animal. A cow is designed to digest a bulky with little nutrition diet-grass. To do this it has three stomachs. A rabbit another herbivore and another odd but effective solution. It puts out different forms of stool. One of them it picks out, you can see the difference, and it re-eats them-sends them through again. The human is by design an omnivore. You do best on a diet of meat and vegetables.

As to fake meat. See the obvious. While I've not tried it, I have read about it. Realize it looks something like meat and tastes something like meat-hum, your body is telling you something.
Also, from what I've read it is not particularly good for you-high in fat and salt.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Just so you won't feel like an "embarrassment" for being vegan but eating food that tastes like meat.

From The Guardian US edition:

Most of the meat people eat in 2040 will not come from slaughtered animals, according to a report that predicts 60% will be either grown in vats or replaced by plant-based products that look and taste like meat.

The report by the global consultancy AT Kearney, based on expert interviews, highlights the heavy environmental impacts of conventional meat production and the concerns people have about the welfare of animals under industrial farming.

“The large-scale livestock industry is viewed by many as an unnecessary evil,” the report says. “With the advantages of novel vegan meat replacements and cultured meat over conventionally produced meat, it is only a matter of time before they capture a substantial market share.”

Here's the whole article, although I'm not sure you can read it without signing up for a (free) account:
Most 'meat' in 2040 will not come from dead animals, says report | Environment | The Guardian

Last edited by CFrance; 06-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, plant based foods and burgers are likely what your grandkids are talking about. There are several veggie type burgers at the grocery and some have found there way into restaurants. Burger King has a plant based burger in some of their restaurants and I have seen in the last couple of months “impossible meat” offered in a couple of Mexican grill restaurants. There has been research that claim you can reverse some heart related issues (closed arteries) by eating a plant based diet. Doctor Dean Ornish and his associates have been conducting this research for several years and proven plant based foods and a lifestyle with 30 minute a day exercise can make a difference with cardiac patients. Dr.deanornish.com
I've noticed that everything the experts say will help with your heart, lungs, weight, etc. is in addition to exercise programs. I would assume a 30 minute daily exercise routine would would work just as well without eating plant based food. In reality very few people exercise 30 minutes per day.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
All you need do is suspend your prejudice and look at the digestive system of the animal. A cow is designed to digest a bulky with little nutrition diet-grass. To do this it has three stomachs. A rabbit another herbivore and another odd but effective solution. It puts out different forms of stool. One of them it picks out, you can see the difference, and it re-eats them-sends them through again. The human is by design an omnivore. You do best on a diet of meat and vegetables.

As to fake meat. See the obvious. While I've not tried it, I have read about it. Realize it looks something like meat and tastes something like meat-hum, your body is telling you something.
Also, from what I've read it is not particularly good for you-high in fat and salt.
I have no idea what cows and rabbits digestive systems have to do with me slipping my cousins dog a few bits of meat, but thank you for the information.

Last edited by Two Bills; 06-15-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 AM

100% true. But do the kids think about the trees being KILLED???? OMG!!! Amazing of what they believe....
Old 06-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Talking of "false meat, I hate Spam, but many Pacific islanders love the stuff. Try feeding that to Taylor and Hunter :-)
Closed Thread

Tags
eat, grandkids, real, fake, junk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.