Fake food has to go!

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

IMHO fake food is manufactured food. Frankly, I prefer to eat fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, milk. chicken, red meat and fish. It is healthier and tastes better to me without all the salt, monosodium glutamate, corn syrup, chemical preservatives, etc..

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

In my opinion, fake food is food that is pretending to be something else or claiming to taste like something else. If you serve a veggie burger and claim that it tastes like a beef hamburger, that is fake food. Other fake foods are crab salad made from fish, low calorie frozen pizza, Arby’s roast beef, low fat cheese, low fat ice cream, etc. None of these products taste like the real thing. But, I don't consider SPAM to be fake food because it is what it is and everybody knows what it is.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-15-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:06 AM
Sage

I'll start believing in PETA, when they replace all their teeth that are not molars with molar implants-- now they can be true vegetarians
Old 06-17-2019, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have no idea what cows and rabbits digestive systems have to do with me slipping my cousins dog a few bits of meat, but thank you for the information.
Now there is some irony.. not sure what feeding your cousins dog meat scraps had to do with the OP’s post about plant based burgers.. but thanks for the story.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:17 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrance View Post
just so you won't feel like an "embarrassment" for being vegan but eating food that tastes like meat.

From the guardian us edition:

Most of the meat people eat in 2040 will not come from slaughtered animals, according to a report that predicts 60% will be either grown in vats or replaced by plant-based products that look and taste like meat.

The report by the global consultancy at kearney, based on expert interviews, highlights the heavy environmental impacts of conventional meat production and the concerns people have about the welfare of animals under industrial farming.

“the large-scale livestock industry is viewed by many as an unnecessary evil,” the report says. “with the advantages of novel vegan meat replacements and cultured meat over conventionally produced meat, it is only a matter of time before they capture a substantial market share.”

here's the whole article, although i'm not sure you can read it without signing up for a (free) account:
most 'meat' in 2040 will not come from dead animals, says report | environment | the guardian

SOYLENT GREEN!!
Old 06-17-2019, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
SOYLENT GREEN!!
I thought that was the kind of grass in our lawn. Oh wait...
Old 06-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

Sad that your grandchildren are trying to get you to make healthy choices, and your response is to sit down and write a message humiliating them. Be glad they care enough for you, to take the time to write. That's what you should have taken away from their concern.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 AM

I'm not a vegetarian, but LOVE Boca brand "burgers." They're made from black beans. They're in every grocer's freezer section. My friends love them too, and not one vegan in the crowd. I've tried other brands and agree, they suck. Try Boca original with lettuce, tomato, mayo, etc. Cook til it starts to brown. They also offer protein since they're made with black beans. I love pulled pork, a good fillet mignon, etc. But I also like a good Boca burger.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

Impossible meat? Different strokes for different folks. I've tried different fake foods and none of them are as good as the real deal. That said, eat what you want but DON'T insist that I change my lifestyle or eating habits. My old dad was a meat and potatoes guy and lived into his 90's before he got bored and decided to give up shooting for 100. Sure, I have eaten meatless lasagna, margarine instead of butter, but let's face it the real deal is the best. If eating meat and dairy products limit my lifespan to the 90's, I guess I would rather live happy than to live long and miserable. Eat what you wish, but don't force me to change. I do not read the fat or sugar content on labels either.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:08 AM
Default Impossible Burger

It is time for TV to step into the future & offer food for everyone, even those who are not conventional eaters. I happen to love both the Impossible burger as well as the Beyond Burger. 80%of diseases as well as obesity are caused by what we eat. Everyone is on medication today to control their med issues & they go on very happily eating the things that have made them sick-Which is fine for them. But for those of us that are on 0 meds, are a healthy weight & want a healthier option that is NOT salad, then why not give us some real food options?
Old 06-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Just wait until these well intention people realize that these "new" plants are genetically modified and these new burgers aren't healthy at all with ingredients like bad-for-you coconut oil.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:06 PM

The good news is that the OP and most Villagers have no idea what Beyond Meat and the Impossiible Burger are all about and are not interested in investigating these new foods. These items are in short supply and there will be more available for those of us that enjoy having these options available. I seriously doubt that the OP and most of the people commenting here have ever tasted either of these products. And, meat eaters have shorter life spans, so, more tee times for the rest of us.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:47 PM

This is food for people who are vegetarian. It is high in protein with lots of great flavor. I eat them a lot....low in fat and calories. Don’t feel threatened by your children’s food choices. When you’re with them try something new.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:03 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Humans have evolved to eat natural foods, not manufactured food products. The longest life expectancies occur in "The Blue Zones", where people eat natural foods, and get plenty of exercise out in the fresh air, even though medical facilities may be limited. if I want to eat beans I will eat beans, not manufactured bean burgers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-18-2019, 05:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

It seems to be past time...to get back to actual facts.

By definition, the non-meat items described in this thread...are far from "fake food."

Definition of "Food." (Chew Here)

Quote:
noun

-any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.

-more or less solid nourishment, as distinguished from liquids.

-a particular kind of solid nourishment: a breakfast food; dog food.

-whatever supplies nourishment to organisms: plant food.

-anything serving for consumption or use

If a vegetarian item is claiming to be real meat, that would be "fake."..but it's still "food."

Even 'imitation crab'...is still "food."
Closed Thread

Tags
eat, grandkids, real, fake, junk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.