Fake food has to go!

Fake food has to go!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Sage

Just so you won't feel like an "embarrassment" for being vegan but eating food that tastes like meat.

From The Guardian US edition:

Most of the meat people eat in 2040 will not come from slaughtered animals, according to a report that predicts 60% will be either grown in vats or replaced by plant-based products that look and taste like meat.

The report by the global consultancy AT Kearney, based on expert interviews, highlights the heavy environmental impacts of conventional meat production and the concerns people have about the welfare of animals under industrial farming.

“The large-scale livestock industry is viewed by many as an unnecessary evil,” the report says. “With the advantages of novel vegan meat replacements and cultured meat over conventionally produced meat, it is only a matter of time before they capture a substantial market share.”

Here's the whole article, although I'm not sure you can read it without signing up for a (free) account:
Most 'meat' in 2040 will not come from dead animals, says report | Environment | The Guardian

Last edited by CFrance; 06-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM
Gold member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
OP, plant based foods and burgers are likely what your grandkids are talking about. There are several veggie type burgers at the grocery and some have found there way into restaurants. Burger King has a plant based burger in some of their restaurants and I have seen in the last couple of months “impossible meat” offered in a couple of Mexican grill restaurants. There has been research that claim you can reverse some heart related issues (closed arteries) by eating a plant based diet. Doctor Dean Ornish and his associates have been conducting this research for several years and proven plant based foods and a lifestyle with 30 minute a day exercise can make a difference with cardiac patients. Dr.deanornish.com
I've noticed that everything the experts say will help with your heart, lungs, weight, etc. is in addition to exercise programs. I would assume a 30 minute daily exercise routine would would work just as well without eating plant based food. In reality very few people exercise 30 minutes per day.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
All you need do is suspend your prejudice and look at the digestive system of the animal. A cow is designed to digest a bulky with little nutrition diet-grass. To do this it has three stomachs. A rabbit another herbivore and another odd but effective solution. It puts out different forms of stool. One of them it picks out, you can see the difference, and it re-eats them-sends them through again. The human is by design an omnivore. You do best on a diet of meat and vegetables.

As to fake meat. See the obvious. While I've not tried it, I have read about it. Realize it looks something like meat and tastes something like meat-hum, your body is telling you something.
Also, from what I've read it is not particularly good for you-high in fat and salt.
I have no idea what cows and rabbits digestive systems have to do with me slipping my cousins dog a few bits of meat, but thank you for the information.

Last edited by Two Bills; 06-15-2019 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:55 AM

100% true. But do the kids think about the trees being KILLED???? OMG!!! Amazing of what they believe....
Old 06-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Gold member

Talking of "false meat, I hate Spam, but many Pacific islanders love the stuff. Try feeding that to Taylor and Hunter :-)
Old 06-15-2019, 02:28 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

IMHO fake food is manufactured food. Frankly, I prefer to eat fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, milk. chicken, red meat and fish. It is healthier and tastes better to me without all the salt, monosodium glutamate, corn syrup, chemical preservatives, etc..

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

In my opinion, fake food is food that is pretending to be something else or claiming to taste like something else. If you serve a veggie burger and claim that it tastes like a beef hamburger, that is fake food. Other fake foods are crab salad made from fish, low calorie frozen pizza, Arby’s roast beef, low fat cheese, low fat ice cream, etc. None of these products taste like the real thing. But, I don't consider SPAM to be fake food because it is what it is and everybody knows what it is.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-15-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Tags
eat, grandkids, real, fake, junk