First for a Yankee

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default First for a Yankee

My friend Iris described one of her Thanksgiving staples and it sounded so good that I thought I would try to make it. It was TURNIP GREENS. My questions to her about it were very primitive indeed. I wondered if you included the turnips, (you don't) Anyway, I followed her directions, although I had to read WHICH were Turnip greens at Krogers, they were there among the kale and chard. I found them and then was UNABLE to find salt pork, so I ended up with a small piece of ...ham hock. (also a first). I cleaned the greens as she directed, immersing them in cold water and was surprised to see that they did have sand on them. (They looked clean) I deveined them, they were larger than the ones she described, she was able to get small leaves imported from Mississippi. However, I cooked the ham and then the greens for a long time and made cornbread and they were very good. Not strong and quite yummy, infused with the ham and Hot pepper sauce. They weren't hot to the taste and I am not sure if I used enough. Sweetie and Helene and I all had seconds. I served them with meat loaf and mashed potatoes. We love vegetables and are glad to add them to our menu. Good and also good for you.

Please share some other regional vegetable favorites. (We fix Kohlrabi here in Cincinnati...anyone else like them?? I love parsnips too.)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.