Flyover Food

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2018, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
New Jersey is known for their produce and I guess that's why they call it the Garden State.

There is nothing like Jersey corn, their tomatoes and peaches and Jenny Lind Cantaloupes which I have not had in many, many years.

I'm salivating!
Ohio grows the best tomatoes and corn in THE UNIVERSE.

Gracie. Descendant of Ohio Farmers.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I think anywhere you grew up north of the Mason-Dixon line but south of NE states had the best corn and tomatoes in one's own opinion. We grew up on Ohio and Western PA's, so those are the best to us. Although, I must vote for Ohio over PA. But we were in the city, so the corn came a bit of a distance. Not like in Ohio, having them walk to the field and pick it for you individually.

Since then, we've lived in North Jersey (3 years) and Michigan (25 years). I was disappointed in Jersey tomatoes, and one can get good corn in Michigan, but it has to be a planned event, and local knowledge is a must. Still, it isn't as good a Ohio's. But again, I grew up on Ohio corn.

Oh, and Michigan tomatoes--meh.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Exclamation Clarification

Quote:
New Jersey is known for their produce and I guess that's why they call it the Garden State.

There is nothing like Jersey corn, their tomatoes and peaches and Jenny Lind Cantaloupes which I have not had in many, many years.

I'm salivating!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Ohio grows the best tomatoes and corn in THE UNIVERSE.

Gracie. Descendant of Ohio Farmers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I think anywhere you grew up north of the Mason-Dixon line but south of NE states had the best corn and tomatoes in one's own opinion. We grew up on Ohio and Western PA's, so those are the best to us. Although, I must vote for Ohio over PA. But we were in the city, so the corn came a bit of a distance. Not like in Ohio, having them walk to the field and pick it for you individually.

Since then, we've lived in North Jersey (3 years) and Michigan (25 years). I was disappointed in Jersey tomatoes, and one can get good corn in Michigan, but it has to be a planned event, and local knowledge is a must. Still, it isn't as good a Ohio's. But again, I grew up on Ohio corn.

Sorry, but I should have been more clear.
My references were to SOUTH Jersey, which is tantamount to a separate state within New Jersey.

And if you never had any of this produce, please don't say that some other is the best.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

This chain has a restaurant very near a 55+ community, Laguna Woods Village, in SoCal. It is a real favorite for many LWV residents who are midwest and northeast transplants as it features, in part, quite well prepared and tasty flyover food. I ate there yesterday. Specials - Polly's Pies - Southern California Restaurant and Bakery

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-20-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sorry, but I should have been more clear.
My references were to SOUTH Jersey, which is tantamount to a separate state within New Jersey.

And if you never had any of this produce, please don't say that some other is the best.
I am sorry. I meant to make clear that Reynoldsburg Ohio area produces the best tomatoes in the universe. If you have never had any from there, please don't say others are the best.

I speak with knowledge of hundreds of tomatoes picked off the vines, shined on my jeans and salted with a shaker snuck out of my mom's kitchen. That delicious sun warmed richness filled my mouth and my memories.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-20-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
That term just came to mind with 'flyover' recently being prevalently if not promiscuously used to describe the middle of the country between the coasts.

Except for growing up in the desert southwest I have spent most of my time on either coast. During my travels I have enjoyed sometimes only locally available regional specialties which I truly enjoyed.

What I most remember is huckleberry jam in Montana from locally grown wild huckleberries, American Bison steaks and burgers in South Dakota, wild rice soup in Minnesota, cheddar cheese in Wisconsin, collard greens, black eyed peas, okra and grits in the south, locally grown yellow watermelon in Amarillo, Texas, Coors Beer in Colorado in the early 1960s before it was widely distributed, locally caught catfish in Missouri. These were all regional foods at the time I enjoyed them. That yellow watermelon did just not ship well I was told so it was not commercially grown.

Anybody have any fond memories of discovering some tasty flyover food?

I really don't like the term flyover states, particularly when used by people who think they live in areas that are superior. I also don't like the term "redneck" used to describe people who are poor and live in the country. The predominantly nice folks who were born and raised in the states that are not falling off either end of this country have justifiable pride in the places that they hail from and enjoy beauty not seen in smoggy areas or places where people put you down rather than look into your eyes and shake your hand firmly.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I really don't like the term flyover states, particularly when used by people who think they live in areas that are superior. I also don't like the term "redneck" used to describe people who are poor and live in the country. The predominantly nice folks who were born and raised in the states that are not falling off either end of this country have justifiable pride in the places that they hail from and enjoy beauty not seen in smoggy areas or places where people put you down rather than look into your eyes and shake your hand firmly.
I was raised from age 2 to 22 in New Mexico. I feel very loyal to that state; I still own a home and a business there. I enjoy spending time in New Mexico and am both proud and grateful to have been raised there. New Mexico is a flyover state. So what?

As an aside the incredible SW airlines lady pilot who averted a major aviation disaster a few days ago was raised on a ranch near Alamogordo, NM. When recently asked if she grew up around aviation she said "No, but I grew up under it!" Tammie Jo Shults: Meet the Heroic Southwest Airlines Pilot | Money

It seems folks hailing from NM develop and retain a sense of humor in addition to the above mentioned ethos.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 04-20-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
That term just came to mind with 'flyover' recently being prevalently if not promiscuously used to describe the middle of the country between the coasts.

Except for growing up in the desert southwest I have spent most of my time on either coast. During my travels I have enjoyed sometimes only locally available regional specialties which I truly enjoyed.

What I most remember is huckleberry jam in Montana from locally grown wild huckleberries, American Bison steaks and burgers in South Dakota, wild rice soup in Minnesota, cheddar cheese in Wisconsin, collard greens, black eyed peas, okra and grits in the south, locally grown yellow watermelon in Amarillo, Texas, Coors Beer in Colorado in the early 1960s before it was widely distributed, locally caught catfish in Missouri. These were all regional foods at the time I enjoyed them. That yellow watermelon did just not ship well I was told so it was not commercially grown.

Anybody have any fond memories of discovering some tasty flyover food?
Many probably have with out knowing it. Sweet Corn (Golden Jubilee ) is grown in Southern Minnesota for Birds Eye and Green Giant. It is blanched (heated )and immediately frozen to retain the freshness. You could but a grocery bag full (about 60 ears) for $5 . Also GGiants "LeSeur Peas" are grown nearby in LeSeur MN.
But for a true fish gourmet..Walleye Pike caught in fresh water is a delicacy (rarely found this far south)
Old 04-20-2018, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1 View Post
But for a true fish gourmet..Walleye Pike caught in fresh water is a delicacy (rarely found this far south)
The first time I ever ate Walleye Pike was in Minnesota. It was delicate and flavorful, delicious.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
You've really started me down memory lane, manaboutown. Isaly's ice cream in Pittsburgh. They had a special kind of ice cream scoop that was shaped like a long curved triangle. Plunged down into one side of the ice cream bin, then the other, and out came a cone shape of ice cream about 5 or 6 inches tall. The flavors were amazing. Mint chocolate chip, coffee, chocolate--geeze those were good. One time in the fourth grade I bought a big cone of something, walked out of the store, and the ice cream fell out of the cone before I could even take a lick. As an elementary school kid I knew nothing about customer service, but I went back into the store crying. (It was most of my allowance; it was our neighborhood store.) They gave me a new cone. I was astounded.
If you like a gazillion choices in ice cream and find yourself in Chattanooga, take a walk across and back on the Walnut Street Bridge then stop in here...you won't regret it.

The Ice Cream Show, Chattanooga - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor
Old 05-06-2018, 06:46 AM
fw102807

Prickly Pear everything in Arizoza
Old 05-06-2018, 06:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Prickly Pear everything in Arizona
In southwest Texas, a lot of cattle ranchers go around and burn the needles off of prickly pear cactus...to allow their cattle to feed on them.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The key words for almost anything is fresh and local.

Red's Eats in Wiscasset Maine for the best Lobster and Clam rolls ever. You can see the boats they were brought in by peeking around the corner.

Growing up we always had a big garden and we would wait until the water was boiling before going out to pick the corn. Go gather the eggs just before using them for breakfast. Milking the cow's and the cream was 50% in the milk bottle. We had cream on everything. Picking almost any vegetable just before cooking, tomatoes and cukes fresh picked, picking apples directly from the tree for eating, blueberries, strawberries, cranberries fresh picked and used are also the best.

Local grown and fresh picked will always be the best no matter where local is.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:26 AM

If it is fresh picked from a garden or berry patch in the upper Midwest ( and I suspect from a garden or patch just about anywhere ) it is going to be delicious. If it is fresh caught, or trapped, in the waters of the Atlantic or Pacific, or any fresh water lake or stream, you will be salivating when it comes to the table. Farm raised chickens, beef or lamb matched up with a good country cook is the equal of any cuisine in the world.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Sage

Quote:

In south jersey,in the Pine Barrens it doesn't pay to grow veggies, tomatoes. When it's harvest time there are card tables in front of many houses selling tomatoes, zucchini and the like for hardly anything. Those are the tomatoes that taste the best. There use to be a lot of you pick it blueberries too. sandy soil, very acidic
Closed Thread

Tags
grown, locally, flyover, enjoyed, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.