Flyover Food

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2018, 10:07 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
or places where people put you down rather than look into your eyes and shake your hand firmly.

I believe this is a put down and a very bad generalization. Some of the warmest and friendliest people I know come from the northeast. At least they don't smile to your face and stab you behind your back.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I believe this is a put down and a very bad generalization. Some of the warmest and friendliest people I know come from the northeast. At least they don't smile to your face and stab you behind your back.
The people from the northeast are honest in their interactions. They may be standoffish at first, but it's a crowded place, and everyone must carve out his/her personal space. We found that once some time had passed and people became familiar with seeing us, we made fantastic friends. You always knew where you/they stood, and I appreciate that.

If you've ever had to fight to get a grocery cart in Pathmark, you would know what I mean.

Last edited by CFrance; 05-06-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Mostly that's because our arms are too short. Haven't you seen The Sopranos?
Old 05-06-2018, 10:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Red's Eats in Wiscasset Maine for the best Lobster and Clam rolls ever. You can see the boats they were brought in by peeking around the corner.
Growing up we always had a big garden and we would wait until the water was boiling before going out to pick the corn. Go gather the eggs just before using them for breakfast. Milking the cow's and the cream was 50% in the milk bottle. We had cream on everything. Picking almost any vegetable just before cooking, tomatoes and cukes fresh picked, picking apples directly from the tree for eating, blueberries, strawberries, cranberries fresh picked and used are also the best.
Local grown and fresh picked will always be the best no matter where local is.
What is this stuff all over my keyboard; oh wait, it's saliva.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:54 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Can't say that I have but interesting theory
Old 05-06-2018, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Can't say that I have but interesting theory
The Sopranos and Jersey Shore did not help our easy going, live and let live kind of attitude towards life. The shows can be both engaging and hard to watch. When it's hard to watch I lower the volume to zero and shut my right eye. That way, it's half as violent.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The people from the northeast are honest in their interactions. They may be standoffish at first, but it's a crowded place, and everyone must carve out his/her personal space. We found that once some time had passed and people became familiar with seeing us, we made fantastic friends. You always knew where you/they stood, and I appreciate that.

If you've ever had to fight to get a grocery cart in Pathmark, you would know what I mean.
I lived most of my life in the suburbs of Boston and it does not get much more Northeast than that. We LOVED the area, hi tech for good jobs and excellent pay, excellent medical facilities, great schools and universities, easy access to the ocean, interstates, international airports, great Italian (Boston's North End) and Chinese food (Chinatown) .................. and much more. As for being friendly, we are very careful who we give our hearts to, but if you get my heart you have it for life and I will be there for you through thick and thin. But, don't ever try to B.S. me ....................

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-06-2018, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
There are some that do both. Almost always. And they live in all areas of the country. There are people with kind hearts and good manners and people with evil hearts and good manners and there are people with kind hearts and no manners. I was being defensive of recent labels seen in mainstream media such as "flyover states". WE ALL LOVE where we came from and when someone on a forum says their state has the best apples, you just smile and nod because you know why they say that, even if you know better, that your state has the best apples. It is good manners, to smile and nod at them.....

and by pass phrases like "sez who?", "big deal", "people who travel know" and "yep". Also this little guy is often used to wound;
Old 05-06-2018, 11:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I lived most of my life in the suburbs of Boston and it does not get much more Northeast than that. We LOVED the area, hi tech for good jobs and excellent pay, excellent medical facilities, great schools and universities, easy access to the ocean, interstates, international airports, great Italian (Boston's North End) and Chinese food (Chinatown) .................. and much more. As for being friendly, we are very careful who we give our hearts to, but if you get my heart you have it for life and I will be there for you through thick and thin. But, don't ever try to B.S. me ....................
I spend just about every Friday with five women who all come from Massachusetts. Have done for eight years. They make me laugh, they make me cry sometimes with their perception, they beat me soundly at golf and they have my back. I really love them all. And I think they love me back.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

Yep!

Old 05-06-2018, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
T-Rex syndrome.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
T-Rex syndrome.
Now that there is funny.
Old 05-06-2018, 11:49 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Local grown and fresh picked will always be the best no matter where local is.
I agree! It is enjoyable to visit various locales during harvest season. New Mexico, where I mostly grew up, is a tough place to grow almost anything because it rains little, has late Spring freezes and alkaline soil. Yet back in 1913 at NMSU Fabian Garcia developed a commercial chile that is renown worldwide as Hatch Chile. It is commercially grown in Dona Ana County, along the Rio Grande. How New Mexico Chile became Legendary - KRQE

While Hatch Chile is delicious and almost always used in making Chile Rellenos I prefer some other varieties in other dishes. I usually order red rather than green at a restaurant. Red or green? Your answer speaks volumes about you in New Mexico

Dixon apples grown in Northern New Mexico were great! In 2016 the land was traded back to the Cochitis for land in Santa Fe. Oh well... Some decent wines are now being produced from vineyards in NM. I discovered some grown from the original root stock brought by the Spaniards when they settled there. New Mexico Office of the State Historian | people

IMHO: Wherever you go, there you are so enjoy what an area has to offer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-06-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
T-Rex syndrome.
good one----i think that's why they always seem to be angry
Old 05-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Exactly.

Tags
grown, locally, flyover, enjoyed, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.