Food likes, dislikes, and anomalies

Closed Thread
Old 12-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Platinum member

I get ill just thinking about game: squirrels, possom, roadkill, anything called vittles ... Argh! Momma never made it -- No god-fearing restaurant in my Brooklyn neighborhood served it!

I have problems thinking of anything else I don't like --- that's always been my problem -- LOL -- Give it to BK, she'll eat anything! Oh, just thought of something -- OKRA -- that slimy little pod that pretends to be a vegetable
Old 12-02-2018, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Can't stand seafood. Now, don't attack me, it's just me. Just want to know who pulled a lobster out of the ocean and said this giant cockroach looks delicious, same with clams, etc....Shrimp just gross me out. However,, if you invite me for a party, I always pick up a shrimp platter cause I know people love it. Just me, I know.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
I get ill just thinking about game: squirrels, possom, roadkill, anything called vittles ... Argh! Momma never made it -- No god-fearing restaurant in my Brooklyn neighborhood served it!

I have problems thinking of anything else I don't like --- that's always been my problem -- LOL -- Give it to BK, she'll eat anything! Oh, just thought of something -- OKRA -- that slimy little pod that pretends to be a vegetable

I don't eat okra either or grub. I don't think they serve grub in New York or Ohio. Bunnies. I don't eat them. I am not sure what is in vittles. Doesn't sound good.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-02-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't eat okra either or grub. I don't think they serve grub in New York or Ohio. Bunnies. I don't eat them. I am not sure what is in vittles. Doesn't sound good.
LOL - Vittles -- this should explain it all.

Granny - Vittles - YouTube
Old 12-02-2018, 08:29 AM

Dislike anything sweet and Pasta of any kind. Love Peanuts but developed an allergy to them about 3 years ago , so no peanuts.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:41 AM
Sage

I don't like liver (gag) added to the list would be aspargus (tastes like grass to me), cream of wheat or grits. I grew to like oatmeal but had to dress it up with cinnamon, sliced almonds and blueberries. I now have a gluten (ALL grains) allergy so can't eat it anymore. Texture is a "thing" for me too.
Since moving here---we both found we're not fond of Southern foods....greens (they're cooked), barbeque for us isn't a favorite, though we'll eat it "if" served. I don't care for a lot of fish. Don't like venison. Have never tried Sushi but don't think I'd like it. Don't eat "dressing" neither but make it for the family. Only fruits I like are apples, bananas, watermelon, blueberries, oranges, grapefruit. I think I'm picky. I tend to "eat with my eyes"...which means I have to look things over many times before I'll even try it.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:34 AM

I will eat about anything, given the right circumstances--even fried insects in Thailand (and live shrimp too) but over Thanksgiving visited the Oyster Bar in Grand Central Station & would not eat the raw oysters. Didn't want to risk getting sick before the flight back to TV.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 12-02-2018, 09:43 AM
Sage

So, if you are invited to dinner at someone's house, how do you let the host know about foods you can't "stomach?"
Old 12-02-2018, 09:52 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Sometimes I like myself, Sometimes I dislike, but I'm always an anomaly.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:53 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I now recall my father who was born in 1898 and lived to age 93 never ever touched seafood of any kind. It was not of matter of him disliking it, he told me, but that as a boy he used to go swimming off the docks of NYC and/or Brooklyn and that on occasion he had watched a human body being retrieved. He observed that every one of the corpses had been partially eaten by either fish or crabs so for him seafood was YUK!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
So, if you are invited to dinner at someone's house, how do you let the host know about foods you can't "stomach?"

I have customarily asked dinner guests if they have any allergies, and foods they don't eat. Also, if you invite me, I will mention that my husband does not eat pork. Why? Well, glad you asked ...

Many years ago, a really close co-worker invited us out on her boat for the day, to be followed by dinner at her house. She packed a variety of sandwiches: Ham, Salami, etc. My husband tried hard to be discrete but it was obvious that he was not eating. When we got back to her house, we found she had a wonderfully, delicious smelling Roast Loin of Pork in the oven! It was impossible for him to hide that he wasn't touching the meat. When we discussed and disclosed that he doesn't eat pork, she truly felt horrible. I don't ever want to put someone in that position again so I come right out and tell you ahead of time.

I think it is nicer and kinder to be upfront than it is to let you go to the trouble of preparing a meal that will not be eaten.

Not everyone agrees with me, by the way.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

I love anything that comes from the ocean. Have never had seafood I did not like. Also love seaweed salid if made without sugar. I will not eat anything with added sugar, but love things with natural sugar like fruit. I will not eat anything made with white flour. Love all vedgtables that are not high carb root vedgtables. Absolutely Love Sushi. Prefer chicken, turkey and pork to red meat, but will occasionally have a good steak. I do not eat desserts and rarely eat processed meats or fried food. Love steel cut oatmeal with fruit, yogurt (sugarless) with fruit, and salads with olive oil and red wine vinegar. My two weaknesses are beer and potato chips.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

• cold stone creamery coffee ice cream with heath bar crumbles
  • cold stone creamery waffle cones dipped in chocolate ganache, with sprinkles.
  • hot buttered lobster rolls
  • white clam pizza from the Modern in New Haven, CT
  • broccoli
  • field greens (aka mesclun aka "weed salad")
  • creme brulee

Dislikes:
  • artichokes
  • eggplants
  • meat-based stuffings
  • tofu
  • "meat analogues" no matter what they're made of. If they're pretending to be meat, I won't eat them. If I want meat I'll eat meat.
  • hazelnut coffee (smell nauseates me)
  • most wines (when I say I like sweet, I mean Manischewitz concord grape)
  • caviar
  • escargot (though I like the sauce)

anomalies:
I love brownie batter but I'm not very fond of cooked brownies.
I enjoy a pinch of raw ground chuck while making my meatballs every week. I grew up getting a pinch or two as a "treat" when mom made meatloaf.
I like some chopped liver, and it's the only time I will ever be able to stomach even the "idea" of consuming hard boiled egg, is when it's one of the ingredients. The smell of sulphur makes me ill so I leave the house when husband is making egg salad for himself.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:23 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I don't like liver (gag) added to the list would be aspargus (tastes like grass to me), cream of wheat or grits. I grew to like oatmeal but had to dress it up with cinnamon, sliced almonds and blueberries. I now have a gluten (ALL grains) allergy so can't eat it anymore. Texture is a "thing" for me too.
Since moving here---we both found we're not fond of Southern foods....greens (they're cooked), barbeque for us isn't a favorite, though we'll eat it "if" served. I don't care for a lot of fish. Don't like venison. Have never tried Sushi but don't think I'd like it. Don't eat "dressing" neither but make it for the family. Only fruits I like are apples, bananas, watermelon, blueberries, oranges, grapefruit. I think I'm picky. I tend to "eat with my eyes"...which means I have to look things over many times before I'll even try it.
My husband is a diagnosed celiac and can eat oatmeal as oatmeal does not contain gluten. Check for the gluten free label which simply means it was processed in a facility that does not process wheat.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Platinum member

I love hot coffee but really do not care for iced coffee, coffee ice cream or coffee flavored hard candy. Go figure.

Tags
food, pie, lobster, apple, nuh

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.