Foods we ate in the fifties..........

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
ginger snaps and sharpe cheese
I still eat ginger snaps! I love the MiDel ones in Publix, when they have them. I mail-order them when they don't. Forgot about putting the sharp cheese with them..
Old 10-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
OMG! So was I with my Cub Scout Den. And, of course, Twin Pines delivered to our house via the milk chute twice a week. And kids these days think they have discovered something new with food delivered to their house.
I was one of the kids picked to reach into the penny jar. I got to keep all the pennies I could fit in my little hand. LOL
Old 10-09-2017, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Default Early days food

[QUOTE=CFrance;1457278]I hated my mother's vegetable soup. Hated it. She wouldn't cut the vegetables up. You needed a knife and fork and spoon to eat it. And you had darn well better eat it. And there was nothing else to go with it. That was it for dinner--a big bowl of vegetables in a bland broth. Now I think it was probably an end-of-the-month-no-money-left dinner. I actually liked her liver. And probably would have preferred her Spam to her vegetable soup.
COMMENT
I am not a fussy eater. Want to know why?
I lived with an Aunt and Uncle in southern Illinois for 9 years. At the first meal, I remember, there was something on the plate I did not want to eat. My precious Aunt Helen said OK. She took my plate from the table and placed it on a shelf and at the next meal, there is was, cold and old and not so good. Found out it is best to eat while it is warm. Cold pot roast, cold oatmeal is no treat. No finicky eaters allowed. End of problem. I can remember the first time she put my plate in the cupboard, I wondered, what is this all about?
bbbbbb

Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

[QUOTE=bbbbbb;1459266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I hated my mother's vegetable soup. Hated it. She wouldn't cut the vegetables up. You needed a knife and fork and spoon to eat it. And you had darn well better eat it. And there was nothing else to go with it. That was it for dinner--a big bowl of vegetables in a bland broth. Now I think it was probably an end-of-the-month-no-money-left dinner. I actually liked her liver. And probably would have preferred her Spam to her vegetable soup.
COMMENT
I am not a fussy eater. Want to know why?
I lived with an Aunt and Uncle in southern Illinois for 9 years. At the first meal, I remember, there was something on the plate I did not want to eat. My precious Aunt Helen said OK. She took my plate from the table and placed it on a shelf and at the next meal, there is was, cold and old and not so good. Found out it is best to eat while it is warm. Cold pot roast, cold oatmeal is no treat. No finicky eaters allowed. End of problem. I can remember the first time she put my plate in the cupboard, I wondered, what is this all about?
bbbbbb

I know that was the custom back then. But we never did that to our kids. If they didn't want to eat it, fine, but no dessert. Never made them eat anything they didn't want to. And I tended to feed them foods they liked to eat at the time. And they both grew up to be more adventurous eaters than we are.

Just a for instance, escargots... I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. The thought of them is disgusting and creeps me out. Our older son sucks them down like candy. I mail-order him frozen ones for his birthday.

And mussels and clams and raw oysters, and you-name-it in the seafood department. Stuff they wouldn't go near as kids. For us it was not worth the hassle having power struggles with kids about food. I still remember gagging on lima beans but being made to eat them anyway. I literally threw up on the dinner plate.

Last edited by CFrance; 10-09-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=CFrance;1459285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
I know that was the custom back then. But we never did that to our kids. If they didn't want to eat it, fine, but no dessert. Never made them eat anything they didn't want to. And I tended to feed them foods they liked to eat at the time. And they both grew up to be more adventurous eaters than we are.

Just a for instance, escargots... I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole. The thought of them is disgusting and creeps me out. Our older son sucks them down like candy. I mail-order him frozen ones for his birthday.

And mussels and clams and raw oysters, and you-name-it in the seafood department. Stuff they wouldn't go near as kids. For us it was not worth the hassle having power struggles with kids about food. I still remember gagging on lima beans but being made to eat them anyway. I literally threw up on the dinner plate.
Lima beans...haven't eaten those nasty things since I was about 12 or 13 -- yuck!! Ditto with creamed spinach and creamed asparagus. I will eat fresh, uncooked spinach (in a salad) and cooked asparagus. But never the creamed variety again. Ugh!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:33 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=Schaumburger;1459641]
Quote:

Lima beans...haven't eaten those nasty things since I was about 12 or 13 -- yuck!! Ditto with creamed spinach and creamed asparagus. I will eat fresh, uncooked spinach (in a salad) and cooked asparagus. But never the creamed variety again. Ugh!

I love succotash ! Yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=Schaumburger;1459641]
Quote:

I love creamed spinach, but it must not be cooked to death! I also love lima beans; of course, I didn't when mom made us eat them. And for the record, I just made a FAB cream of asparagus soup--Honey raved about it. He declared it the best soup I ever made.

But speaking of Schaumburg, if I remember correctly (always a dicey deal) sometime in the early 1980s, I was at Schaumburg at Tandem Computers to learn their programming language TAL. I was at the time an ATM development manager. Is it still there? (It's HP now, I think.)
Old 10-11-2017, 04:12 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Henryk;1459845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post

I love creamed spinach, but it must not be cooked to death! I also love lima beans; of course, I didn't when mom made us eat them. And for the record, I just made a FAB cream of asparagus soup--Honey raved about it. He declared it the best soup I ever made.

But speaking of Schaumburg, if I remember correctly (always a dicey deal) sometime in the early 1980s, I was at Schaumburg at Tandem Computers to learn their programming language TAL. I was at the time an ATM development manager. Is it still there? (It's HP now, I think.)
Veggies I like: green beans, peas, corn (not creamed), broccoli, spinach (not creamed), asparagus (not creamed), broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, carrots, squash, edamame. I don't think I have ever had beets by themselves, but there in a Polish restaurant near my house that serves delicious red borscht. In fact, I am overdue for a visit to this restaurant!

I have never heard of Tandem Computers or HP in Schaumburg at least since 1994. Motorola used to have a very large presence in Schaumburg, (I lived in an apt. complex across the street from Motorola's corp. HQ from 1994-1998) but most of the Motorola employees are gone.

For anyone on TOTV familiar with the n.w. suburbs of Chicago, the 10 year plan is to turn the very large former Motorola campus into a mix of residential and retail. Hopefully I will be out of the Chicago area and living in Central Florida before that project is complete.

Last edited by Schaumburger; 10-11-2017 at 04:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Some more goodies from Elementary School Cafeteria:

Johnny Marzetti; Sauteed spinach with vinegar; Baked Spaghetti ( which I still make for my Grandkids!), Tuna Noodle Casserole; No PC Health Police to worry about and the food was filling and decent. Amazing we all survived!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Anyone ever enjoy a good Oxroast sandwich? Not all 1950's food was bad.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

oxtail soup, bone marrow, tongue, kidney pie, home pickled watermelon rind and peaches, crab apple and grape jellies made from fruit from our trees and vines, jams and orange marmalade. Best of all my mother's fruitcake!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
oxtail soup, bone marrow, tongue, kidney pie, home pickled watermelon rind and peaches, crab apple and grape jellies made from fruit from our trees and vines, jams and orange marmalade. Best of all my mother's fruitcake!
You just reminded me of my Polish grandmother again. She had a crab apple tree from which she made wonderful tart pies. My grandfather would make wine from the grapes they grew. It was vile.

When I was at the Conservatory, our cook Annie made apple pies. I had the opportunity to meet my high school French teacher's wife, who had also gone to the Conservatory and knew Annie. (Annie was ancient when I was there. I loved her.) The wife asked if the pie still tasted like bacon. Apparently Annie used the bacon fat instead of lard in the pie crust!
Old 10-12-2017, 07:29 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Stewed tomatoes by grandma.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Stewed tomatoes by grandma.
with torn up bread, lots of sugar and butter. Yum.

I didn't and still don't think fifties food was BAD...just totally different, and a lot more vegetables.
Old 10-29-2017, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

I remember going on picnics and my father would cook up hamburgers on a wood fire. He was a grocer and would always bring a slab of bacon with the skin on, unsliced. He would slice the bacon pretty thick and then cook it over the fire and as the fat was rendering, he'd catch the drippings on the hamburger buns. The hamburgers were always juicy in themselves indicating a fatty ground meat and we'd eat those burgers on the bacon fat injected buns. Sounds horrible but they were very very good. He lived to 85 and we're still kicking. He broke every modern day rule about healthy living. He'd get upset with me if I cut the fat off a piece of meat because that's where all the flavor came from. I could never stand the fat. I loved breaded and fried spam. I'm thinking of trying it again.

Tags
remember, fifties, ate, foods

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.