Foods we ate in the fifties..........

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2017, 04:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
For us, it was a bit of Coca Cola syrup. Got it from the local ice-cream parlor.
That was really good
Old 10-29-2017, 04:36 PM
Gold member
Default RE: LaChoy Chicken Chow Mein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francie View Post
Love this! Not to mention, never heard of.....tacos, sushi, falafel. The only asian dish we ever had came out of a can......LaChoy Chicken Chow Mein! Once in a blue moon we had 1 family steak to feed 8 of us. If you were still hungry, you stacked up white bread and poured gravy over it. Never was the milk carton allowed on the dinner table. If we misbehaved at the dinner table you had to take your plate and eat by yourself on the cellar stairs. Downright child abuse by today's standards!!! LOL
We had a tradition of what to do with left over thanksgiving turkey. You can still get it. LaChoy Chow Mein in a can

My parents would not let us buy them but my friends father would take us to White Castle. When, we went my parents would insist on giving me two dollars???? to pay for my own. Not sire if it was two dollars because I would have had A LOT of left over money. A White castle burger was THIRTEEN CENTS. I seem to recall they were bigger than today or perhaps I was smaller. Three and you were stuffed.

OH-I have a canning pressure cooker that belonged to my grandmother. There is a cookbook that came with it and it is dated 1945. Almost every recipe had added lard and plenty of salt. Aside-it is a Presto and you can still get parts for it.
Closed Thread

Tags
remember, fifties, ate, foods

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.