Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Which Frozen Dinner would you recommend? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/frozen-dinner-would-you-recommend-265154/)

ColdNoMore 06-06-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnieman (Post 1550970)
They taste way better when you bake them in the oven. Have tried both ways and the gravy gets dried up when you nuke it.

I saw your post on that, but when I'm going frozen I'm usually in a hurry (I'm one of those that get 'hangry' when I wait too long to eat) and the fact that I think they still taste pretty darned good even nuked...I like only waiting for 10 minutes for even the 16oz size.

BUT, I'll give the oven a shot one of these days...to see if maybe I need to 'plan' my time a little better. :thumbup:

vinricci 06-06-2018 07:53 PM

Check out the ingredients labels . Some of the Marie Callender’s frozen meal have very high sodium levels.

jnieman 06-06-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdNoMore (Post 1550974)
I saw your post on that, but when I'm going frozen I'm usually in a hurry (I'm one of those that get 'hangry' when I wait too long to eat) and the fact that I think they still taste pretty darned good even nuked...I like only waiting for 10 minutes for even the 16oz size.

BUT, I'll give the oven a shot one of these days...to see if maybe I need to 'plan' my time a little better. :thumbup:

Yes I agree you have to plan a little ahead of time but for me well worth it.

CFrance 06-07-2018 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1550742)
We like Stouffer's Grandma's Chicken Rice bake, Vegetarian Lasagna and love the side, "Harvest Apples". I always bake in conventional oven.

Here's a link to many of their casseroles;

Grandma's Chicken & Vegetable Rice Bake | Classics Frozen Meals | Stouffer's

That's a nice site, and I learned something new--they are pretty good from a calorie to fat to sugar ratio. I ran them through the WW calculator (SmartPoints, not Freestyle), and they are 8, 10, & 11 points. Curiously, the selections with pasta were the lowest. Not bad for a main course.

Carla B 06-07-2018 10:25 AM

We love Amy's frozen cheese enchiladas. They come with just the enchiladas in a box or with rice and beans. We usually have homemade guacamole on hand to supplement.

2BNTV 06-07-2018 10:32 AM

Another option would be to buy a ready cooked oven roasted chicken at Sam's for $5 and buy a couple of sides.

Just warm the sides in the microwave.

Madelaine Amee 06-07-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BNTV (Post 1551090)
Another option would be to buy a ready cooked oven roasted chicken at Sam's for $5 and buy a couple of sides.

Just warm the sides in the microwave.

You are so right, their cooked chicken for $4.99 is the best value, we get two meals and two sandwiches out of one chicken.