German Anise Cookies called Springerle.

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default German Anise Cookies called Springerle.

Did anyone else grow up eating the German Anise Christmas Cookie called Springerle? Our German grandmother made them every year and they were as hard as rocks on purpose and they were imprinted with a rolling pin with designs. I am told that they are Austrian and Bavarian in origin and their name comes from knights springing from their horses.

http://www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/w...springerle.jpg
Old 12-05-2020, 10:19 AM
Veteran member

Springerle were my father's favorite cookie. Mom made then every year and even had the special rolling pin. They were very good just out of the oven, but would become harder with each passing day. I often wondered how my father didn't break a tooth when eating one!
Old 12-05-2020, 10:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

I have very fond memories of my grandmother's Christmas cookies. She made butter cookies, Vanillekipferln, Pfeffernusse, Springerle and more. I also loved her apple pie, her pumpkin pie and her mincemeat pie. Man, could she cook. My grandfather supplied the Manhattans and the Sauternes wine.

I also loved it when my father brought home a box of chocolate-covered Christmas-tree cookies from Rudy's Bakery in Ridgewood, Queens.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Yes, and a few other types of cookies. My mother also made mince pies and a wonderful fruitcake both of which my daughter continues to make. One of my uncles baked stollen and gave it out among family.

My mother's large family always got together for Boxing Day, the day after Christmas, as well. My mother's mother was English/Scottish and her father was by trade a baker and 100% German so she absorbed traditions from both ancestral cultures.

Some of her sisters served sauerkraut as a side dish at both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners - yuk!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-06-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:49 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Did anyone else grow up eating the German Anise Christmas Cookie called Springerle? Our German grandmother made them every year and they were as hard as rocks on purpose and they were imprinted with a rolling pin with designs. I am told that they are Austrian and Bavarian in origin and their name comes from knights springing from their horses.

http://www.mybestgermanrecipes.com/w...springerle.jpg
Oh did we ever ! It was a BIG deal in our house, of all the cookies, the Springerle were the queens. No anise flavoring from stores, went to our compounding independent pharmacist (before Walgreen on every corner obviously) for only pure oil. The eggs had to come from nearby farm, no store eggs... as I said, it was a BIG DEAL. They were stored then in huge crocks on the "summer porch" and brought out for Christmas. I am fortunate enough to have three of the original molds my great grandmother brought with her from Germany when they immigrated. I have original recipe....mine have NEVER been as good, but I have been able to get the "high puff", not the flat ones you get even at "German" bakeries ! And oh, the STOLEN, WOW, ours were ALWAYS made with an entire roll of almond paste and as kids we got a slice and went right for the "almond paste hole" in the slice.....
Old 12-05-2020, 11:57 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
Springerle were my father's favorite cookie. Mom made then every year and even had the special rolling pin. They were very good just out of the oven, but would become harder with each passing day. I often wondered how my father didn't break a tooth when eating one!
The idea of the aged springerle (dried) was as a dipping cookie, like a biscotti in the Italian culture, but our family always "wet" aged ours too so we had plates of the "soft" ones for Christmas. This was usually done with waxed paper over the tops of the cookies which were in deep crocks, then on top of the wax paper thin slices of oranges, or even apples, and then a heavy plate on top.
Old 12-05-2020, 04:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

I have a springerle rolling pin and use it to make shortbread cookies.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:25 AM

Got them at the Christmas market in Amberg once! Great with gluewein!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:02 AM

Rudy’s had the best baked goods, really miss them.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:31 AM

My mother was of German descent. They only spoke German in her grade school in Illinois, but her English was perfect. We always had German cookies at Christmas.
Old 12-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Yes, we still do.
Old 12-06-2020, 02:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Butch View Post
Got them at the Christmas market in Amberg once! Great with gluewein!
Aaaahhh Yes ! Orange slices, cinnamon, cloves, sugar....... red wine..... smells like Christmas !
Old 12-06-2020, 07:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

My great grandmother recipe is in my family’s book in her hand writing, in German. Two versions, one the way most German families made them, converting to a hard cookie as they aged,

The second recipe when sugar was not available, honey was used. The family raised bee’s and honey is in almost every recipe in the book.

Problem is when using honey in any cookie recipe, they never get hard. I hate soft cookies. I have her original individual molds, which was the only way cookie was made in her kitchen. But in her 90s she started using a rolling pin carved by someone in the village. It was easier then molding each cookie.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:10 PM
Default Soft springerle cookies

To soften the cookies put them in an airtight container with a slice of apple, lemon or orange. Change the fruit every few days. After about 5 days they will be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfierle View Post
Old 12-07-2020, 01:43 AM

They are my favorite, but hard to find good ones. I’d love a good recipe for them. I’d try it for sure.
Closed Thread

Tags
german, anise, called, springerle, pin

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.