Gluten free, and free advice

Closed Thread
Old 04-18-2018, 07:42 AM
Sage
Default Gluten free, and free advice

In the microwave thread a topic came up that deserves it's own thread. My son has Celiac disease, no gluten, and he likes to cook but doesn't have much time.

I really like Americas Test Kitchen. I like all the experimenting. I sent him this book

The How Can It Be Gluten-Free Cookbook
In Stock

180 RECIPES
336 PAGES, SOFTCOVER
FULL-COLOR PHOTOS THROUGHOUT

from Americas kitchen and he said he has never been disappointed with their recipes.

Do you have any gluten free products or recipes [especially quick ones] that you would suggest.

Last edited by tomwed; 04-18-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 AM

Buckwheat is gluten free. Buckwheat is not wheat. It's a seed rather than a grain and is gluten-free and safe for people with celiac disease. You can use it as you would rice. It has more of a consistency and slightly nutty but delicious. Can also use in soups to give it heartier soup. Also these can be used as you would rice: Quinoa, Millet, Amaranth, Sorghum, and polenta. you can replace Campbells Cream of Mushroom/Chicken soup with The Pacific brand Organic Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup and season as needed.
This also goes nicely over cooked chicken and any of the grains I listed above. Any fresh produce is gluten free, so any salad if great. Also can cook any meat/fish and roast and veggies such as carrots, tomatoes, asparagus, etc, baked or roasted potatoes....any veggie is great. I boiled chicken in water and use the broth as a base for homemade chicken soup, add carrots, onions, parsley, dill weed, parsnip, celery and use one of the grains to pour the soup over. You can make a stir fry with the grains, scrambled eggs, scallions, chicken and use organic Reduced sodium Gluten Free Tamari Soy Sauce by San-J. Just remember, any fruit, veggie, meat/fish are gluten free. There are plenty of gluten free pastas on the market and spaghetti squash is also gluten free topped with pasta sauce and homemade meatballs. Stay away from processed Gluten free products because they are not healthy. GOOD LUCK!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:26 AM
fw102807

We like:
Glutino bread from Publix
King Arthur muffin mix from Fresh Market
Mi-Del graham cracker pie crust, we have seen this at all the markets, we use Junket Danish Dessert mix from Amazon to make a delicious gelatin pie.
Against the Grain frozen pizza from Publix
Johnny Rockets has very good gluten free pancakes and french toast
Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigirl View Post
Buckwheat is gluten free. Buckwheat is not wheat. It's a seed rather than a grain and is gluten-free and safe for people with celiac disease. You can use it as you would rice. It has more of a consistency and slightly nutty but delicious. Can also use in soups to give it heartier soup. Also these can be used as you would rice: Quinoa, Millet, Amaranth, Sorghum, and polenta. you can replace Campbells Cream of Mushroom/Chicken soup with The Pacific brand Organic Cream of Mushroom and Cream of Chicken soup and season as needed.
This also goes nicely over cooked chicken and any of the grains I listed above. Any fresh produce is gluten free, so any salad if great. Also can cook any meat/fish and roast and veggies such as carrots, tomatoes, asparagus, etc, baked or roasted potatoes....any veggie is great. I boiled chicken in water and use the broth as a base for homemade chicken soup, add carrots, onions, parsley, dill weed, parsnip, celery and use one of the grains to pour the soup over. You can make a stir fry with the grains, scrambled eggs, scallions, chicken and use organic Reduced sodium Gluten Free Tamari Soy Sauce by San-J. Just remember, any fruit, veggie, meat/fish are gluten free. There are plenty of gluten free pastas on the market and spaghetti squash is also gluten free topped with pasta sauce and homemade meatballs. Stay away from processed Gluten free products because they are not healthy. GOOD LUCK!
There's a lot of great information here.
Do you have a favorite pasta or bread that tastes like glutenous pasta and breads? Does the bread freeze well?
Old 04-18-2018, 11:29 AM

Lots of info, recipes with pics on Pinterest..all free!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:58 AM

I like to experiment with the Gluten Free pastas. There are many good brands. Try the Banza brand. It is made from chickpeas. Also Explore Cuisine makes a line of pasta such as Organic Green Lentil Penne, Edamame Spaghetti, and Adzuki bean spaghetti. POW has some as well as Felicia Organic which is Organic Green Pea Rotini. Trader Joe's has a black bean pasta. All Gluten Free! I am not too fond of Rice pasta. If you taste it right after you cook it, you may not like the taste. But trust me, just add some sauce, meatballs or sausage, steamed or roasted veggies and some spices and you will hardly know the difference. Plus these are all healthy, high in fiber and minimally processed. I am not Gluten free but I have tried the lifestyle in the past and right now have many gluten free foods in my pantry because I like the taste and the healthy options. Read labels on gluten free foods and stay away from tapioca starch, rice flour, potato flour and cornstarch which is just a filler and has no nutritional value, plus can raise blood sugars especially if diabetic or pre diabetic . They are basically "junk carbs"
Old 04-18-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage

Has anyone shopped here?
Search results for: gluten free - Thrive Market
prices look good
Old 04-18-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage

...OR....has anyone read the book Wheat Belly, Total Health by Dr. Wm Davis?? LOTS of insightful information in it. At least read it........and then make a decision on foods to eat.

"Gluten-free" processed products have a lot of ingredients that will spike your glycemic levels so may not be your 1st "go-to's" for your foods in-take.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

All straight vodka is gluten-free. Although the flavoring additives might not be.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:48 PM

I have had people I know shop at Thrive. They like it. I go all over the internet buying different kinds of food products since most stores just don't carry everything I like. I try to find boxed/canned goods with 5 ingredients or less (not including salt or spices). The less ingredients, the healthier. And NotGolfer has it right. Alot of processed, ready to eat gluten foods will spike your blood sugar, like the ones I mentioned in my previous post. Now Banza (chickpea) pasta does have tapioca starch, but it only has 4 ingredients, one serving has 14 grams of protein (very good), and 8 grams of fiber, 3.5 Grams of fat and no saturated fat. So I don't care about the tapioca starch that much because I am getting so many other good things. Plus with protein and fiber, the starch gets absorbed much more slowly and doesn't spike fast like when you eat processed, empty calorie foods.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Sage

I don't feel like looking this up again.
I have read that if a pizzaria for example, is advertising gluten free pizza they have to make the pie in a different part of the kitchen using utensils and cutting boards that never come in contact with gluten. Is that information over the top or on target?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:47 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I don't feel like looking this up again.
I have read that if a pizzaria for example, is advertising gluten free pizza they have to make the pie in a different part of the kitchen using utensils and cutting boards that never come in contact with gluten. Is that information over the top or on target?
That is the way it is supposed to work. Even a miniscule amount of gluten damages the intestine of a Celiac. Some people do not have true Celiac but Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance. Only a blood test and an intestinal biopsy can determine for certain.

It has been found to be genetic so often other family members also suffer from it.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:28 AM

Amazon. Google gluten free groceries. Deliver all you want in two days
Old 05-17-2018, 07:28 PM

Here's a list of gluten-free breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas (and pastries, too!) that might be helpful.

Gluten Free Diet and Nutritious Recipes
Old 05-17-2018, 08:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Our son is also celiac and I learned to cook almost anything gluten free. I once did a complete thanksgiving dinner with stuffing and pies and all the sides completely gluten free.

If he lives near a Wegmens grocery store all of their in house brand products are labeled and everyone that can be made gluten free are. Common things like katsup that should be but are made in a factory that does other products so they are not, but the Wegmens brand is. 100's of their in house brands are. They have 100's of recipes on there web site using their products that can be made gluten free and there is a complete huge section in the stores that have all gluten free products.

Tags
gluten, recipes, free, kitchen, americas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.