Food snobbery. Who has the right to tell others they are eating inferior stuff?

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2018, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Food snobbery. Who has the right to tell others they are eating inferior stuff?

I came across this article, actually I was looking for the words "Food snob" and found this.

I think this whole category has a lot to do with people's personal values, what they consider important, what they were taught as children and their own personal taste. I think it has to do with manners too, which is another thing dealing with private values and rules.

Here is the article; ( I am not an Oscar Meyer Hot dog person. I like Nathans) Oops, that sound snobbish, doesn't it?

http://snobsite.com/food_explained.php

P.S. I am not touting this article, just saying I am often annoyed by some people who post on this forum thinking they are superior when it comes to their choices of food. Who's to say?

Last edited by graciegirl; 05-11-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

In my experience people either eat just to sustain themselves (these folks tend to remain lean as food means little or nothing to them) and those who truly enjoy food. Most of us develop a taste for what we eat growing up, whether it be Spam and lime Jello or steak tartare and flan; we are pretty much stuck with those preferences for life, be they salty, spicy, bland, healthy or unhealthy. The good news is that, to my knowledge, in America we truly have more choice in what we eat than anywhere else in the world.

Those who love tasty food will probably enjoy this book. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten | PenguinRandomHouse.com

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2018, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I think there are certain nutritional standards having to do with maintaining good health. Some things are known to bring us down healthwise--saturated fats, processed foods, and most importantly, sugar, are examples. If someone belts you for eating french fries and pasta carbonara every day, they may be considered to be a food snob. That's one kind.

The other kind is the person who likes to cook and follows the latest trends and methods and wouldn't, for example, tout Hamburger Helper over broiled salmon. Or like the fact that some restaurant is serving the same bland bagged salad with tired coated pre-shredded cheddar as opposed to whipping up their own salad dressing, shaving some onion, shredding some good cheese and using fresh lettuce and other creative toppings.

I think both these types of people have a point in today's food world.

Full disclosure: I didn't read the article. I'm too busy nuking my husband's dinner.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
In my experience people either eat just to sustain themselves (these folks tend to remain lean as food means little or nothing to them) and those who truly enjoy food. Most of us develop a taste for what we eat growing up, whether it be Spam and lime Jello or steak tartare and flan; we are pretty much stuck with those preferences for life, be they salty, spicy, bland, healthy or unhealthy. The good news is that, to my knowledge, in America we truly have more choice in what we eat than anywhere else in the world.

Those who love tasty food will probably enjoy this book. The Man Who Ate Everything by Jeffrey Steingarten | PenguinRandomHouse.com
I have 2 sons who enjoy all kinds of food and a daughter who does not. So I'm not so sure it's simply exposure. I always had to cook 2 kinds of meals, one with and one without, fish and meat, spicy and not spicy.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:00 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I have 2 sons who enjoy all kinds of food and a daughter who does not. So I'm not so sure it's simply exposure. I always had to cook 2 kinds of meals, one with and one without, fish and meat, spicy and not spicy.
Absolutely agree. My daughter likes all kinds of food and my son only eats meat and potatoes. The big joke was always trying to slip a vegetable in his food.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I agree. It is not simple exposure. We are probably born with preferences or we function better eating certain foods rather than other foods.

Too, some folks like to get out and try new foods and consequently develop new tastes. Others stick with what they have always eaten. People are different. I did not eat sushi until I was 49 years old. It took a while but I developed a taste for it and now eat sushi and other Japanese food a couple of times a week.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-11-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

When I was younger I often joked that I was a human garbage disposal because I could eat anything, and lots of it, and never gained a pound. Then I got older, the metabolism slowed down, and I put on too much weight. Now I live by a strict diet, not because I like the cuisine, but because I like being lean and healthy. I avoid anything with added sugar, anything made with white flour, keep carbohydrates to a minimum, no precessed food, especially meats, no saturated fats, and very little fried food. Once I got used to it I have learned to like the lifestyle. I know that's not for everyone, but it works for me. If I only gave up beer then I could easily drop some more weight, but I gotta have something to look forward to.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
When I was younger I often joked that I was a human garbage disposal because I could eat anything, and lots of it, and never gained a pound. Then I got older, the metabolism slowed down, and I put on too much weight. Now I live by a strict diet, not because I like the cuisine, but because I like being lean and healthy. I avoid anything with added sugar, anything made with white flour, keep carbohydrates to a minimum, no precessed food, especially meats, no saturated fats, and very little fried food. Once I got used to it I have learned to like the lifestyle. I know that's not for everyone, but it works for me. If I only gave up beer then I could easily drop some more weight, but I gotta have something to look forward to.
And good for you. And as far as the beer goes, I agree with your reasoning. Don't make a lifestyle change you can't live with; it won't work long term.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
And good for you. And as far as the beer goes, I agree with your reasoning. Don't make a lifestyle change you can't live with; it won't work long term.
My weakness is Chateau Palmer. Twenty years ago I could find it for $90 - $100 per bottle. Today it can be upwards of $400 per bottle, possibly because the winery is producing another wine on about half its acreage. Needless to say I only drank it on special occasions but now I drink it only on extra special occasions. lol

Chateau Palmer - Wikipedia

chateau palmer 2005 - Google Search

Old 05-11-2018, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
My weakness is Chateau Palmer. Twenty years ago I could find it for $90 - $100 per bottle. Today it can be upwards of $400 per bottle, possibly because the winery is producing another wine on about half its acreage. Needless to say I only drank it on special occasions but now I drink it only on extra special occasions. lol

Chateau Palmer - Wikipedia

chateau palmer 2005 - Google Search
That's an unfortunate lifestyle change forced upon you!
Old 05-11-2018, 03:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
That's an unfortunate lifestyle change forced upon you!
Indeed!

Old 05-11-2018, 03:07 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Indeed!
I drink Chateau WhateverComesOutofaBox
Old 05-11-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I drink Chateau WhateverComesOutofaBox
I think February was a good year.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:16 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I think February was a good year.
I see you are a wine connoisseur also.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:17 PM
Sage

There are "foodies" and "not-so-foodies" in this world. Myself---I eat to live I don't live to eat. BUT I know what you're referring to. I had a friend before we moved here who wouldn't cook unless certain pans (I'm talking brand here) were used. The kitchen was A-1 first class and these were very middle class people. I'd bet the food in our kitchen tasted just as good.

Not food related BUT I took a class in college where we did a "road trip" and the manager of a local store took us on a tour. He talked about merchandising and how 'at market' the clothing all came from the same places BUT the different labels were put on them. Such as "piece A" might have a designer label and "piece C" has a store label. They might be the very same thing but because of the labels the prices vary greatly. From that time...I no longer was so hung up on the "name". Expensive isn't always better.
Closed Thread

Tags
values, food, personal, private, dealing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.