Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Good source for steaks (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/good-source-steaks-306506/)

Spikearoni 05-16-2020 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooColdNJ (Post 1766071)
Very frustrated as a result of not finding decent steaks here around us, we ordered from Pat LaFrieda in NY. Not cheap, but no waste of $ throwing away barely chewable steaks. I also learned about sou vide cooking no’s to my neighbor, and they come out absolutely tender and perfect! All I do after removing them from the sou vide is throw them on the grill for a couple of minutes on each side or sear them in a pan. I ordered a 2 lb tenderloin roast, cooked it the same way, and We absolutely loved every perfect, moist and tender drop of it. Just some place and another cooking method to think about.

I agree. Sous vide is the best way to cook a steak. After it's done, I place the steak in a hot cast iron pan with butter and sear each side for about 15 seconds. Let the steak rest for a few minutes and serve. YUM!

joecian1 05-16-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1765511)
With the custom meat counters shut down in Sam's & Publix--had to get another source--tried Fresh Market--was disappointed

Remembered --Best Meats in Wildwood, called them & they have "prime"

just landed two ribeyes $16.99 /lb (no bone) average weight 1.75 lbs & really important 1.5" thick ( will cut to your likes)

Hope they taste as good as they look

Please let us know how they taste?
Are you planning to put them on the grill or cast iron fry pan?

Ecuadog 05-16-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbrat (Post 1766061)
Peter Luger was one of my old standbys as well as the Old Homestead, I've been told that the current reservation list for Peter Lugers, prior to cover was at least 6 months, and if you go there its cash only or their own charge card--a truly unforgettable steak

Fond memories of Peter Luger. Last October, Pete Wells of the NY Times gave it a "satisfactory" rating (zero stars). When I go back to NYC, I think I'll go to Keens Chophouse in Manhattan. One of these days, I still want to make it to Bern's Steak House in Tampa.

AFAIK, Peter Luger will now accept debit cards, along with cash and their own credit card.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...luger-card.jpg

dewilson58 05-16-2020 07:33 PM

The only source for good steaks is 1200 miles away.............it's call Iowa.

:ho:

dewilson58 05-16-2020 07:34 PM

Big difference between: Good Source for Steaks & Source for Good Steaks.

:ohdear:

600th Photo Sq 05-16-2020 08:19 PM

Look to me this is a load on nonsense. Most of your post come across as ahem " Coinsures " I am laughing as I post this.

Me I go to Publix pick out 2 Ribeye's bone in about 1 1/2 thick on the grille med heat 3 min. each side med rare.

Give me a break all off a sudden we have " Experts " on Meat, Steaks how best to prepare on the Grille especially etc.

Amusing.

I just hear the accolades when guest come over.... then afterwards privately...….Huh what was the big deal. I didn't find any difference than ours. Enjoy

Charles_A 05-16-2020 08:34 PM

St. Elmo Steak House (located in downtown Indianapolis, IN) serves the Best Ribeye Steaks in the United States since 1902.

C.Alexander

Topspinmo 05-16-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

With the custom meat counters shut down in Sam's & Publix--had to get another source--tried Fresh Market--was disappointed

just landed two ribeyes $16.99 /lb (no bone) average weight 1.75 lbs & really important 1.5" thick ( will cut to your likes)

Well?????? I’d look for cow! I hear in China bat 🦇 steaks are might tasty rare....

Topspinmo 05-16-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1766148)
The only source for good steaks is 1200 miles away.............it's call Iowa.

:ho:

Those Texas Longhorns are mighty tasty...

TimeForChange 05-17-2020 08:51 AM

Quote:

Best meat you can buy within 50 miles of TV is at Costco in Orlando. Oh, I forgot we don't have one here and probably never will.

TimeForChange 05-17-2020 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissy2231 (Post 1765783)
Sam's has YUMMY steaks & fish.

My experience has been Sam's steaks are the worst you can buy. The last ones I bought were so tough you could not cut them.

TNLAKEPANDA 05-17-2020 09:16 AM

The best way to cook any steak is by Sous Vide method. Normally about an hour for a 1.5” steak 🥩 but if you have a cut that may not tender just cook it longer. Once you set the temperature you want say 132 degrees for medium rare it will never cook over that no matter how long you cook it.

TNLAKEPANDA 05-17-2020 09:18 AM

Sams have the best steaks but occasionally you pick a bad one.

:pray:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeForChange (Post 1766481)
My experience has been Sam's steaks are the worst you can buy. The last ones I bought were so tough you could not cut them.

Chatbrat 05-17-2020 10:49 AM

Sam's "Prime" are still the best in the area, lots of times tasty steaks are that way because of the use of meat tenderizers, the real test, is if you wake up in the middle of the night or morning with a very dry mouth

VinoGolf 05-17-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeForChange (Post 1766481)

Respectfully disagree. I’ve found their tenderloins outstanding.