Great Meal that's Pretty Cheap right now too

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Sage
Default Great Meal that's Pretty Cheap right now too

I picked up a 10 lb ham at WD for $1/lb. Some sweet potatoes and cabbage for 50 cents a lb. I pull the ham apart and use a steak knife to cut along the fat lines. What's left is a meaty bone that I put in the crock with carrots, celery, onion and bay leaf and cover with water. The extra meat goes in the freezer.

Four hours later I clean the bone, save the cooked onion and toss the rest. Add the cubed sweet potato and cabbage for 1/2 hour. Later veggies in a 1 qt pot and add the cabbage slices for 2 and cubed sweet potatoes and 2 inches of water for only a few minutes till the potatoes are soft.

Serve the bone meat with the rest and add butter and honey mustard. The sour onions and cabbage is balanced with the sweet potatoes and honey mustard.

Put all the broth in the frig and if fat collects on top skim it off. Tomorrow I'll make cream of asparagus soup $2/lb with the stock. I'll use instant potatoes as a thickener. And poke around to see if I need heavy cream or whole milk will do..

The left over ham will last a week or two, depending.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Wow. I love it when you post your cooking exploits.They're so inventive.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Wow. I love it when you post your cooking exploits.They're so inventive.
Thank-you
The soup came out great today. Instant buttery mashed potatoes worked perfectly. I read that the best asparagus are the fat ones, not the skinny like I used to buy. Peel the fat ones. I put them cut on the bias with the mushrooms in the boiling ham stock 4 cups, for 5 minutes added the instant potatoes [1 cup] for another 8 minutes and before serving, topped it with slivers of ham. I only splashed in some whole milk at the very end.

You could feed an army with instant mashed potato soup for very little money. I made this for the faculty one day and forgot to check the soup in time. I scraped the bottom of the pot with the slightly burned soup and mixed it in. Teachers told me they loved the soup especially the exotic mushrooms [AKA burned potato soup].

If you like my peasant recipes I will tell you how I make chicken chow mein for next to nothing when I get the urge for Chinese. pm me
Old 06-10-2016, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Tomwed...please post more. Of anything.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Tomwed...please post more. Of anything.
Perhaps a fine German dish. Where have you been tomwed? You were/are a lot of fun.
Closed Thread

Tags
potatoes, cabbage, sweet, ham, bone, put, rest, honey, add, mustard, fat, left, meat, onion, cream, balanced, broth, frig, collects, onions, sour, slices, depending, cubed, serve

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.