Home Made Authentic Greek Yogurt

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Home Made Authentic Greek Yogurt

I saw a thread on here this afternoon talking about Ranch Dressing. I did a search and found a great recipe for home made Ranch Dressing............... which led me to thinking about the Greek Yogurt I make at home.

I could never find a full fat whole milk Greek Yogurt that was plain .... i.e. no added fruit, no sugar, no flavoring so I did a search for authentic Greek yogurt, found an excellent recipe, and now I make my own. I made a batch this morning and got 3.lbs from a one gallon bottle of milk. You can add your own flavors and sweetness to your taste.

There must be many other home made items that we are making so let's share some good ideas.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Platinum member

Hi,

I love Greek Yogurt. Would you consider posting the recipe?

. . .

I made my own butter and boy was I proud of myself. LOL - all it takes is to whip cream in the food processor until the liquid separates from the solids. Adding salt is optional. Mmmmm.

1 quart (32 ounces) cream yields 1 pound (16 ounces) butter
Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hi,

I love Greek Yogurt. Would you consider posting the recipe?
This recipe was posted by a Greek living in NY whose Grandmother still makes this in Greece, just this way.

Bring one gallon of full fat whole milk to a low boil, about 160 degrees. Take it off the heat and let it cool down to 110 degrees. Be careful, it boils up very quickly and takes a while to cool down.
There will be a skin on the top of the milk, leave it on. When the milk is cooled take about 3/4 cup and mix it until smooth with a couple of tablespoons of really good yogurt with high probiotics. Gently pour this down the side of the pan and it will mix in the milk.
At this point cover the pan with a piece of light weight knit fabric, I tore up an old white tee shirt which I bleached and soaked etc. and I stretch that over the top of the pan and tie it tightly. Then I place the pan outside in the sun for the whole day. At night I take it in and put it in the garage which is very hot and let it sit there until the next morning.
The Yogurt will "cook" in the heat and the next day you can strain it through the a strainer and the fabric and let it release all the liquid until the yogurt is very thick. Put the thickened yogurt into containers and refrigerate.
And that is all you do.
The important part is to let it cook until really thick, that is when it is really delicious. Good luck.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

My godmother is Greek, and made my yogurt on the stove as she was taught by her yaya. I still use same recipe, but have a yogurt maker with a fine mesh strainer. I save my starter that has been used for ever

Tags
yogurt, home, made, greek, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.