Hot dogs! What kind is your fav and recipe for con carne sauce?

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Hot dogs! What kind is your fav and recipe for con carne sauce?

Now before the usual lecture me on preserved meats, we don't have them often, maybe once every couple of months but I have changed my choices for which is the best since moving here. Oscar Meyer is no longer my favorite weiner, now we buy Nathans or Hebrew National. I would like to find a recipe for the meat sauce like we had at home and can't find one that is JUST right.

Also what other things do you put on your hot dog and what kind of bun do you use? I like raw onion and yellow mustard. Do you boil or grill or fry or even bake?
Old 08-04-2018, 12:04 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Hot Dogs are very regional. We originally hail from Western NY....if you were from Buffalo you bought Sahlen's, Rochester you bought Zweigle's and if you were from Syracuse you bought Hoffman's. For years whenever we flew back, we would return with 20 pounds of frozen Hot Dogs in our carry on.

Now we really like the big 100% Beef hot dogs Costco sells, their Kirkland brand. I like potato rolls, mustard, and sometimes dill relish or cheddar cheese. Bacon is always an upgrade on most anything. Grilling is the best....I even sometimes grill them with my pellet grill, which gives a nice wood smoked flavor to them.

Gracie, you're the best! Frank D.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Sage

Hebrew National
But if you know another brand that tastes and "chews" like Hebrew National let me know. On a good hot dog everything tastes good----i like frying onions and sour krout fried together
Old 08-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Now before the usual lecture me on preserved meats, we don't have them often, maybe once every couple of months but I have changed my choices for which is the best since moving here. Oscar Meyer is no longer my favorite weiner, now we buy Nathans or Hebrew National. I would like to find a recipe for the meat sauce like we had at home and can't find one that is JUST right.

Also what other things do you put on your hot dog and what kind of bun do you use? I like raw onion and yellow mustard. Do you boil or grill or fry or even bake?
Gracie, dear, I’m with . Chopped raw onions and Grey Poupon. Chili dogs, not so much.

I like grilled with a New England bun (opens at the top), toasted. However, in a hurry, put the dog on a bun, wrap in a paper towel and micro for 30-40 seconds.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Gold member

Here is a photo of a Portillo’s hot dog,
I grew up in Chicago and there were push cart guys that sold dogs fixed like this even before Portillo’s.
Kosher beef dog on poppy seed bun, garnished with bright green relish, slice of dill pickle,
slices of tomato, mustard, chopped onion sprinkled with celery salt.
Sport peppers are optional!
This is my personal favorite!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	306EB66E-E8C3-4E25-844A-72FB7912FDD6.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	76024  
Old 08-04-2018, 03:43 PM
Platinum member
Talking Hebrew National

Years ago I learned that animal parts are used in most hot dogs, and may include skin, lips, pig snouts, organs, fat, and other parts of animal bodies.

This sounded so unappetizing that I cut back severely on ,my intake of hot dogs. Then I saw advertising for Hebrew National hot dogs. They are all beef, so no pig snouts. They also claim that they use only "choice cuts" of beef, so maybe no lips, eyelids, etc.

Nothing special about the hot dog buns I use, just off the shelf buns in the grocery store. I generally include mustard, fresh cut onions and relish on the whole thing. Sometimes some ketchup.

If I'm going to put chili on the hot dog, I like to use the chili which can be purchased in cans at Steak and Shake. I still add fresh cut onions.

Yummy.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Tony Packo's or Rudy's hot dog sauce from Toledo.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 08-04-2018, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster View Post
Here is a photo of a Portillo’s hot dog,
I grew up in Chicago and there were push cart guys that sold dogs fixed like this even before Portillo’s.
Kosher beef dog on poppy seed bun, garnished with bright green relish, slice of dill pickle,
slices of tomato, mustard, chopped onion sprinkled with celery salt.
Sport peppers are optional!
This is my personal favorite!
What are sport peppers?

P.S. I’m surprised at the popularity of chopped onions.
Old 08-04-2018, 04:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
What are sport peppers?

P.S. I’m surprised at the popularity of chopped onions.
Should be chopped sweet white onions,
sport peppers are smaller and kind of hot, therefore they are optional.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	A3C98EC1-C7D4-4479-9878-A42760158ED0.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	76025  
Old 08-04-2018, 07:03 PM
Sage

It depends on whether you are looking for Cincinnati chili or regular. I love the chili dogs at Scooples. Best I have had anywhere.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Blue Seal natural casing franks from Chicopee Provision in Chicopee, Massachusetts.

Blue Seal Brand Natural Casing Franks

Real old fashion natural casing frankfurters. Made from only the finest trims of beef, pork and bacon, no fillers or by-products. The wholesome flavor of our Blue Seal Hot Dogs is the taste you remember. And, of course, only naturally smoked.

Real Old Fashion Natural Casing Franks 10lbs - Blue Seal Kielbasa
Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Gold member

I'm from Syracuse and any hot dog other than Hoffman's is just OK. Thankfully, Publix now carries Hoffman's Hotdogs, but they are the prepackaged one's and not the same as the great bulk hotdogs with natural casings we always purchased at Wegmans deli. I don't really care for chili dogs, but a Hoffman's German Frank with French's yellow mustard, maybe a little pickle relish and/or chopped sweet onion is something I love. Never ketchup!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage

If you are from NJ--somewhere close to NYC
Rutt's Hut, Ott's Spot, Blvd Drinks, Fat Mike's,
Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I'm from Syracuse and any hot dog other than Hoffman's is just OK. Thankfully, Publix now carries Hoffman's Hotdogs, but they are the prepackaged one's and not the same as the great bulk hotdogs with natural casings we always purchased at Wegmans deli. I don't really care for chili dogs, but a Hoffman's German Frank with French's yellow mustard, maybe a little pickle relish and/or chopped sweet onion is something I love. Never ketchup!
I will try them. I think of hot dogs as "weiners" and bratwurst and mettwurst and other similar as sausages. Found a pretty good bratwurst at Aldi's this week. I have to say I had overlooked Aldi's for years until the new one opened here.

I cannot find German lunch meat like we grew up with here in The Villages. Publix carries a lot of Italian stuff I am not used to. Where is thuringer and souse and pickle pimento loaf etc. I find braunswieger and liverwurst, sometimes misnamed. We don't eat a lot of cured stuff. Lunch is sometimes a challenge to find a little something something. a little different from the same old deli roast beef, boiled ham, chicken, turkey.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Found a pretty good bratwurst at Aldi's this week. I have to say I had overlooked Aldi's for years until the new one opened here.
Do they sell more then one kind or one brand? Do you know the name/brand of the one you liked?
Closed Thread

Tags
find, hot, sauce, kind, recipe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.