Hot dogs! What kind is your fav and recipe for con carne sauce?

Hot dogs! What kind is your fav and recipe for con carne sauce?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 07:29 PM

Blue Seal natural casing franks from Chicopee Provision in Chicopee, Massachusetts.

Blue Seal Brand Natural Casing Franks

Real old fashion natural casing frankfurters. Made from only the finest trims of beef, pork and bacon, no fillers or by-products. The wholesome flavor of our Blue Seal Hot Dogs is the taste you remember. And, of course, only naturally smoked.

Real Old Fashion Natural Casing Franks 10lbs - Blue Seal Kielbasa

Old 08-05-2018, 08:09 AM
Gold member

I'm from Syracuse and any hot dog other than Hoffman's is just OK. Thankfully, Publix now carries Hoffman's Hotdogs, but they are the prepackaged one's and not the same as the great bulk hotdogs with natural casings we always purchased at Wegmans deli. I don't really care for chili dogs, but a Hoffman's German Frank with French's yellow mustard, maybe a little pickle relish and/or chopped sweet onion is something I love. Never ketchup!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage

If you are from NJ--somewhere close to NYC
Rutt's Hut, Ott's Spot, Blvd Drinks, Fat Mike's,
Old 08-05-2018, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
I'm from Syracuse and any hot dog other than Hoffman's is just OK. Thankfully, Publix now carries Hoffman's Hotdogs, but they are the prepackaged one's and not the same as the great bulk hotdogs with natural casings we always purchased at Wegmans deli. I don't really care for chili dogs, but a Hoffman's German Frank with French's yellow mustard, maybe a little pickle relish and/or chopped sweet onion is something I love. Never ketchup!
I will try them. I think of hot dogs as "weiners" and bratwurst and mettwurst and other similar as sausages. Found a pretty good bratwurst at Aldi's this week. I have to say I had overlooked Aldi's for years until the new one opened here.

I cannot find German lunch meat like we grew up with here in The Villages. Publix carries a lot of Italian stuff I am not used to. Where is thuringer and souse and pickle pimento loaf etc. I find braunswieger and liverwurst, sometimes misnamed. We don't eat a lot of cured stuff. Lunch is sometimes a challenge to find a little something something. a little different from the same old deli roast beef, boiled ham, chicken, turkey.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Found a pretty good bratwurst at Aldi's this week. I have to say I had overlooked Aldi's for years until the new one opened here.
Do they sell more then one kind or one brand? Do you know the name/brand of the one you liked?
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Do they sell more then one kind or one brand? Do you know the name/brand of the one you liked?
There was four in the package. They were uncured. I think some German name.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Sage

Default Graciegirl, I'm seeing a pattern with your posts here

[
Your hungry aren't you?, time for a snack girlfriend, giggle!

QUOTE=graciegirl;1568954]Now before the usual lecture me on preserved meats, we don't have them often, maybe once every couple of months but I have changed my choices for which is the best since moving here. Oscar Meyer is no longer my favorite weiner, now we buy Nathans or Hebrew National. I would like to find a recipe for the meat sauce like we had at home and can't find one that is JUST right.

Also what other things do you put on your hot dog and what kind of bun do you use? I like raw onion and yellow mustard. Do you boil or grill or fry or even bake?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage

I like the ones at Home Depot and near the water tower on CR466...……………..
Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Gold member

Location: Bridgeport CT; Boston, Winthrop, Dorchester, Canton, Provincetown MA; Village of Hadley

Quote:
I will try them. I think of hot dogs as "weiners" and bratwurst and mettwurst and other similar as sausages. Found a pretty good bratwurst at Aldi's this week. I have to say I had overlooked Aldi's for years until the new one opened here.

I cannot find German lunch meat like we grew up with here in The Villages. Publix carries a lot of Italian stuff I am not used to. Where is thuringer and souse and pickle pimento loaf etc. I find braunswieger and liverwurst, sometimes misnamed. We don't eat a lot of cured stuff. Lunch is sometimes a challenge to find a little something something. a little different from the same old deli roast beef, boiled ham, chicken, turkey.
Gracie, dear, I think you should make a pilgrimage to the Polish Deli. Filled with great stuff.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:

Hebrew National Knockwurst with "hotdog relish", and lots of Bavarian sauerkraut sold in a jar at Publix. All piled on a Nature's Own whole wheat hotdog roll. Yum!
Gracie you mentioned German lunch meats. In my early years we lived in Newark NJ. My father would go to a German butcher in Union Nj and buy all the things you
Mentioned. I remember him eating Head Cheese (not cheese) with vinegar. Is that the same as souse? He would bring P&P loaf for my brother Ronald who loved it.

Last edited by RedChariot; 08-05-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Wrong word
Closed Thread

Tags
find, hot, sauce, kind, recipe