Hot dogs! What kind is your fav and recipe for con carne sauce?

Closed Thread
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Do they sell more then one kind or one brand? Do you know the name/brand of the one you liked?
There was four in the package. They were uncured. I think some German name.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Graciegirl, I'm seeing a pattern with your posts here

[
Your hungry aren't you?, time for a snack girlfriend, giggle!

QUOTE=graciegirl;1568954]Now before the usual lecture me on preserved meats, we don't have them often, maybe once every couple of months but I have changed my choices for which is the best since moving here. Oscar Meyer is no longer my favorite weiner, now we buy Nathans or Hebrew National. I would like to find a recipe for the meat sauce like we had at home and can't find one that is JUST right.

Also what other things do you put on your hot dog and what kind of bun do you use? I like raw onion and yellow mustard. Do you boil or grill or fry or even bake?[/QUOTE]
Old 08-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

I like the ones at Home Depot and near the water tower on CR466...……………..
Old 08-05-2018, 09:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I will try them. I think of hot dogs as "weiners" and bratwurst and mettwurst and other similar as sausages. Found a pretty good bratwurst at Aldi's this week. I have to say I had overlooked Aldi's for years until the new one opened here.

I cannot find German lunch meat like we grew up with here in The Villages. Publix carries a lot of Italian stuff I am not used to. Where is thuringer and souse and pickle pimento loaf etc. I find braunswieger and liverwurst, sometimes misnamed. We don't eat a lot of cured stuff. Lunch is sometimes a challenge to find a little something something. a little different from the same old deli roast beef, boiled ham, chicken, turkey.
Gracie, dear, I think you should make a pilgrimage to the Polish Deli. Filled with great stuff.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I will try them. I think of hot dogs as "weiners" and bratwurst and mettwurst and other similar as sausages. Found a pretty good bratwurst at Aldi's this week. I have to say I had overlooked Aldi's for years until the new one opened here.

I cannot find German lunch meat like we grew up with here in The Villages. Publix carries a lot of Italian stuff I am not used to. Where is thuringer and souse and pickle pimento loaf etc. I find braunswieger and liverwurst, sometimes misnamed. We don't eat a lot of cured stuff. Lunch is sometimes a challenge to find a little something something. a little different from the same old deli roast beef, boiled ham, chicken, turkey.
Hebrew National Knockwurst with "hotdog relish", and lots of Bavarian sauerkraut sold in a jar at Publix. All piled on a Nature's Own whole wheat hotdog roll. Yum!
Gracie you mentioned German lunch meats. In my early years we lived in Newark NJ. My father would go to a German butcher in Union Nj and buy all the things you
Mentioned. I remember him eating Head Cheese (not cheese) with vinegar. Is that the same as souse? He would bring P&P loaf for my brother Ronald who loved it.

Last edited by RedChariot; 08-05-2018 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Wrong word
Old 08-05-2018, 10:44 AM
Platinum member

We usually buy Boars Head in natural casing but they’re too skinny to be a great hot dog. I enjoy the grilled dogs outside of Home Depot. Does anyone know if they’re Hebrew National? If so, we may have to switch. When I moved to NJ, I was surprised to find Italian hot dogs. Instead of sausage and peppers, they had substituted hot dogs.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,749 Times in 1,386 Posts

Smith's all beef, NATURAL CASINGS, hot dogs from Erie, PA.

On the open grill until they start to char and split open.

The very best!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 01:09 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Grilled hot dogs with chili and cheese
Old 08-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
We usually buy Boars Head in natural casing but they’re too skinny to be a great hot dog. I enjoy the grilled dogs outside of Home Depot. Does anyone know if they’re Hebrew National? If so, we may have to switch. When I moved to NJ, I was surprised to find Italian hot dogs. Instead of sausage and peppers, they had substituted hot dogs.
I believe they are Sabrett.

Sister married a butcher, a very sour kraut. He said Sabrett, Boars Head, Nathan and Hebrew National are the best, (Natural casings if available) National brands.

To be perfectly frank, I prefer Martins potato rolls, German w/caraway seeds sauerkraut, Dijon or whole grained mustard. I can relish the taste now.

I grille on a Cuisinart 5 in 1 indoor grille. Gonna mustard it up now, since I'm on a roll.

Last edited by SFSkol; 08-05-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Where's the beef?
Old 08-05-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob47 View Post
Blue Seal natural casing franks from Chicopee Provision in Chicopee, Massachusetts.

Blue Seal Brand Natural Casing Franks

Real old fashion natural casing frankfurters. Made from only the finest trims of beef, pork and bacon, no fillers or by-products. The wholesome flavor of our Blue Seal Hot Dogs is the taste you remember. And, of course, only naturally smoked.

Real Old Fashion Natural Casing Franks 10lbs - Blue Seal Kielbasa
My favorite hot dog is a Coney island hot dog. Probably not from Coney Island, but's that what we call them in Southeastern Mass and RI, and there are hot dog stands that sell them everywhere. The sauce is rich with spices and thick because it's made with really fine ground beef. The best (and they claim to be "America's Original Coney Sauce") is supposedly from Nick's Coney Island in Fall River, Ma. Also known as Dirty Nick's, the original owner would line the dogs up his arm and add the condiments. You can buy packets that you just add water to at Three packets of Nick's Coney sauce - Nick's Coney.
Here's one of the variations of it, but every place has their own secret formula:

1 Spanish onion (minced finely)
1-1/2 lbs ground hamburger
1/2 lb ground chourico
3 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T minced garlic
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 T spicy mustard
1 small can tomato paste
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 T celery salt (or to taste)

In slow cooker, place ground hamburger and chourico, and then cover meat with water and turn on high. Once meat is cooked (several hours), drain hot water and place half the cooked meat into the food processor and finely grind. Place meat back in the crock pot. In separate pan, saute chopped onion in olive oil until soft. Place onions in crock pot. Add the rest of the ingredients. Cook six to eight hours on low. You may want to adjust the spices.

Also, Blue Seal is the best kielbasa I have ever had. A friend of our's family owns a very popular grocery/butcher shop in New Bedford, and brings some down to us when she visits. They have to special order it, and it's the only brand they eat.

Last edited by laryb; 08-05-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I believe they are Sabrett.

Sister married a butcher, a very sour kraut. He said Sabrett, Boars Head, Nathan and Hebrew National are the best, (Natural casings if available) National brands.

To be perfectly frank, I prefer Martins potato rolls, German w/caraway seeds sauerkraut, Dijon or whole grained mustard. I can relish the taste now.

I grille on a Cuisinart 5 in 1 indoor grille. Gonna mustard it up now, since I'm on a roll.
Clever.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Detroit coney. Gordon’s used to carry a 5 pound frozen block. They have now switched to national coney. Not a fan, so now have to go to Detroit to buy bulk coney. Freeze in 1 pound blocks and ship overnight to the boys who otherwise would not get to enjoy a coney. It’s more about the coney fries than the dog

Last edited by asianthree; 08-06-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Gracie, dear, I’m with Chopped raw onions and Grey Poupon.
I keep thinking of Kennywood Park( Pittsburgh area) hot dogs with mustard and onions.

Tags
find, hot, sauce, kind, recipe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.