How did YOU learn to cook? Do you like to cook?

How did YOU learn to cook? Do you like to cook?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I'm not a bad cook, I just really don't enjoy cooking. I learned from my mother and other women in my family, from cookbooks, and from recipe sharing with friends, but if given a choice to cook or clean my house I would take cleaning any day. I do practically all of the cooking in my house - UGH! - and everybody seems to enjoy it which says a lot I guess considering my husband's mother was a fabulous cook.

Funny story - one of my best friends (100% Italian descent) really disappointed her mother when she had no desire to learn to cook while she was still at home. She told her mom, no worries, when I marry, I'll marry someone who can. Her mother just shook her head. She moved to California after she finished college, met a man out there and got married. On their first visit back to PA to visit her parents, everyone wakes up to her new husband preparing breakfast for the entire family. My friend, with a smile on her face, looks at her mother (who is in a state of shock) and says, "See, I told you". I love that friend of mine - wish we would have kept in touch more during those days, maybe I would have learned a good lesson from her.....

Actually, I think the best arrangement is when both people cook. A lot more variety and a lot less burden on one person.
This is us. Occasionally I cook a meal we can both eat--something without meat for me that my husband will eat on the side with his grilled meat of choice, which he doesn't mind doing himself. Or something I can eat around the meat. But I'm so glad that I don't have to cook every day. I like to cook, but I don't like to HAVE to cook.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
This is us. Occasionally I cook a meal we can both eat--something without meat for me that my husband will eat on the side with his grilled meat of choice, which he doesn't mind doing himself. Or something I can eat around the meat. But I'm so glad that I don't have to cook every day. I like to cook, but I don't like to HAVE to cook.
That's a good way to put it CFrance. As much as I'm not fond of cooking, I dislike eating out all the time just as much. Cooking for myself is actually pretty easy - some protein, a big salad, and some hot veggies on the side and I'm happy. Cooking for others sometimes is another story......
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

I was shipped to my grandparents every summer for two weeks (until age 16). Fishing with gramp's and cooking with granny and great aunt. Never measured anything......it was all by taste. Great memories.

Learning more since retirement. Creating memories.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:46 PM

If you like to eat and enjoy properly prepared food, you will learn to cook. It's true of women and men both, despite stereotypical roles.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:18 PM
Sage

One time in the '80s we had a very small powder room. Our plan was to wallpaper it, ceiling and all (the rage back then). We always wallpapered together, but the room was too small to fit both of us, so we flipped a coin. One would wallpaper, the other would cook liver & onions. I got the wallpaper, and darned if my husband didn't pull out the Joy of Cooking and proceed to make perfect liver and onions. He went on to fried chicken and homemade doughnuts, French fries, and finally omelets. Then we ran out of rooms.

My friend told her fiancé, "If you can read, you can cook." Darned if he didn't.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
One time in the '80s we had a very small powder room. Our plan was to wallpaper it, ceiling and all (the rage back then). We always wallpapered together, but the room was too small to fit both of us, so we flipped a coin. One would wallpaper, the other would cook liver & onions. I got the wallpaper, and darned if my husband didn't pull out the Joy of Cooking and proceed to make perfect liver and onions. He went on to fried chicken and homemade doughnuts, French fries, and finally omelets. Then we ran out of rooms.

My friend told her fiancé, "If you can read, you can cook." Darned if he didn't.
Yep, I tried saying that - then my husband pretended he didn't know how to read......

Anyway, loved your story - very funny, but productive!
Closed Thread

Tags
cook, cookbook, learned, meals, legible