How do you cook your corned beef and cabbage

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Default How do you cook your corned beef and cabbage

How do you cook your St Patricks day dinner?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

in the slow cooker

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Gold member

Crock Pot or Pressure Cooker...both ways very good
Old 03-12-2013, 09:29 PM

Corn beef and cabbage, potatoes, onions, carrots , spices ... Slow cooked in Guiness .....yum?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

In the restaurant of our choice
Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Platinum member

Corned beef in the slow cooker. I shred it and remove the fat- like pulled pork is done.
I sometimes slice savoy cabbage into thick shreds, drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven, tossing them a bit.
(like our potatoes and carrots roasted too, or substitute and serve buttered, wide noodles)
Not traditional, but yummy.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 03-13-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Sage

I follow the advice of a butcher from years ago - to first bring a large pot of water to a boil, put in the corned beef and spices, turn the heat down and simmer for about 3 hours. I saute the cabbage with butter, season with salt and pepper and caraway seed
Old 03-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Sage
Default Did Saint Patrick Eat Corned Beef and Cabbage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I follow the advice of a butcher from years ago - to first bring a large pot of water to a boil, put in the corned beef and spices, turn the heat down and simmer for about 3 hours. I saute the cabbage with butter, season with salt and pepper and caraway seed
That sounds about like how I always did it, but I thought this below article was cute..........(A New England boiled dinner has carrots also). My mom and dad always made Corned Beef and Cabbage on Saint Patricks Day even though neither was Irish.......and I always made it , ditto, when my kids were still at home. My husband doesn't care for cabbage (which I love) so I don't make it as often anymore unless company is coming.

I have made just the brisket alone, and then slice it thin for sandwiches when our adult kids all come home..........but not with the cabbage....as they are not wild about cooked cabbage either.........whereas we grew up on it.

DID SAINT PATRICK EAT CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE????

Corned beef and cabbage — what a potful of facts and/or fiction came up in a search on this food.

No, it never was a traditional food on the Emerald Isle of Ireland. No, St Patrick never ate it. Well, he may have eaten it but only the cabbage part, which probably came with potatoes.

Almost everything in Ireland was about potatoes — soup, pancakes, stew, plain, boiled with or without other ingredients.

So where and when did the so-honored dish get associated with the Irish and the great day honoring St. Patrick?

Well, it actually started in this country with Irish immigrants, but not with the first immigrants who came here during the potato famine in Ireland. The famine, as illustrated by my comments above, had a devastating effect both culturally and culinarily.

Cabbage was not very popular then as the Irish looked upon it as a lowly food, thanks to the British.

When the British were in ownership of the green hills and vales, they forced the Irish into slavery conditions. The Irish hoed many a row of cabbages and sometimes had little else to eat, especially when the potato — native to South America and transported here and yon by the Spanish, including Ireland where the plants grew and produced better than anywhere else — failed as a crop from late-blight disease. Many of the Irish population starved to death, unless they were able to get to another area, preferably the U.S.

Cabbage has always been around and just about everywhere. The cabbage family includes cauliflower, broccoli, turnips and numerous other veggies that are usually on every child's food list as "non-edible."

However, as children grow, so does their "edible" food list, and the day comes when they will actually like cabbage and corned beef!

Beef cattle have been bred in many climates and areas of the world. However, in Ireland beef was mostly exported and was expensive for the locals who ate pork bacon instead, including with their cabbage.

When they came to this country, the Irish found that beef was much more reasonable, and so it became, once again, part of their cuisine, as it did with many other nationalities — German, Jewish and so on — but most especially the American Irish.

The origin of it being "corned" is somewhat hazy, though it was probably mostly the Brits, with whom "bully" beef was very popular. The word "corn" is from the Old English, and it refers to the nodules of salt, which they referred to as "corn" when they used it as a curing method.
As the American Irish used more and more of the product it became "Irish," and then eventually took on the serving of it as a traditional dish for the celebration day, March 17, of the famed saint of Ireland, St. Patrick.

The number of recipes for this dish, which is served in practically every restaurant, is as numerous as the leaves on a head of cabbage.

Here is my favorite, from "The Unwatched Pot." It is easy and one of the best I have had:

Corned Beef and Cabbage
3 pounds corned beef brisket (I find it best to get some that has a little fat on it — not a lot, just a little)
1 large onion, chopped
1 head of cabbage, quartered into small wedges

1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tablespoons vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup water
Combine ingredients in cooker, with cabbage on top. Cut meat into pieces if necessary to fit pot. Cook on low 10-12 hours, or on high 6-7 hours.

Good eating and, begorrah, a happy St. Patrick's Day!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Sage
Smile

I rinse mine, sprinkle on the packet that comes with it, fill the crock pot about 1/3 of water and put in the meat. Cook it on high about 5 hours or on low longer. I cook my carrots separately on the stove. I also cook the cabbage separately. At the end I toss the cabbage and carrots in butter and serve. The carrots and cabbage are nice and sweet and not mushy.
This is a favorite meal of mine.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

I crock pot mine all day and then throw it on the grill for 10 minutes each side to sear it and get rid of that boiled taste.

Not the way we did it in Ireland but tasty anyway!! Don't forget the Soda Bread and the Blarney Stones!
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 AM
Veteran member

For large crowds bake in oven at 300 degrees. Fill pan halfway with beer/water and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Cook vegetables separately.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.