How do you prepare Pork Roast?

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default How do you prepare Pork Roast?

I find whatever pork roast is on sale and roast it slowly( with a cup of water, in my Dutch oven lid tightly closed. I add diced onion and a little sage.

Cheaper cuts of pork roast aren't as likely to become dry from overcooking because they are riddled with fat, that will melt and make the meat moist and succulent.

I use my nose to know when the roast is almost done, When it smells delicious in the kitchen, cook for 45 more minutes. Remove to platter and cover loosely with foil. If this doesn't make you confidant, use a meat thermometer. You never want Pork rare. Tricha something.

The leftovers are yummy in sandwiches served with homemade barbecue sauce. I make mine with ketchup, MUCH brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, some mustard, and a shake or two of soy sauce and a tablespoon of vinegar.

Here is a recipe that is close to how I cook a Pork Roast. I sometimes sear and cook the roast uncovered, but I love using my Dutch oven, IN the oven.

Pork Roast - How to Cook it Moist and Tender - Jamie's Cooking & Recipes

Pork tenderloins are easy peasy, but don't over cook them. They will be dry as the desert.

Last edited by graciegirl; 04-02-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:36 PM

Sounds delicious! I prepare mine the night before by cutting little slices in the pork and stuffing with garlic. I also rub the whole roast with garlic and salt and ground pepper. I add olive oil and vinegar to the roasting pan, cover with foil, and marinate in the fridge overnight. I roast at 350, and about 45 minutes before it is done, I add sauerkraut to the pan to brown. I cook to about 170 degrees to make sure it is well done. I made this yesterday for Easter and it smelled so good. I think the whole neighborhood could smell it!
Old 04-02-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage

I do mine in the crock pot. It comes out juicy.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I do mine in the crock pot. It comes out juicy.
Same here. Cover it in "Sweet Baby Rays" honey BBQ sauce and let it cook. Tasty pulled pork.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Same here. Cover it in "Sweet Baby Rays" honey BBQ sauce and let it cook. Tasty pulled pork.
Same here.. I'll take a pork shoulder and put it in the crock pot with a bottle of good rootbeer. After 8 hours I'll pull it. Put it back in the crock pot and let it cook another two hours with Sweet Baby Rays..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Same here.. I'll take a pork shoulder and put it in the crock pot with a bottle of good rootbeer. After 8 hours I'll pull it. Put it back in the crock pot and let it cook another two hours with Sweet Baby Rays..
Root beer you say? I am going to have to try that!
Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I use pork loin for slow roasting and tenderloin for a quicker meal. What's the Difference Between Pork Loin and Pork Tenderloin? | Kitchn

One thing I discovered early in life is that one cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear so I always start with a good cut of high quality meat.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 AM
Sage

I bought a chuck roast last week and cut it in 3 2 inch slices against the grain. I wrapped and froze 2 slices and put the third in a crock with root veggies. It was enough for 2 servings. It was juicy when it was ready but not as a leftover.

Is there any reason I can't do that with a big pork loin? Cut it in 2 inch slices before cooking, wrap and freeze enough for 2 servings per bag, freeze the rest and use the 5 qt crock pot for meat and veggies.

I don't like throwing out leftovers and I don't want to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner 2 days in a row.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I bought a chuck roast last week and cut it in 3 2 inch slices against the grain. I wrapped and froze 2 slices and put the third in a crock with root veggies. It was enough for 2 servings. It was juicy when it was ready but not as a leftover.

Is there any reason I can't do that with a big pork loin? Cut it in 2 inch slices before cooking, wrap and freeze enough for 2 servings per bag, freeze the rest and use the 5 qt crock pot for meat and veggies.

I don't like throwing out leftovers and I don't want to eat the same thing for lunch and dinner 2 days in a row.

Our chuck roast also wasn't as juicy as a leftover. Sweet husband clears up and he discarded the pan juices that I would have saved the beef in.

I agree with you, and like to make something yummy not the next day, but two days later from leftovers if I can. But then...that is enough. On to something different.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Default Pork Butt and Tenderloin

I like pork butt roasted either in the oven or in the crock pot. I skim fat and use it for pulled pork sandwiches. I use sweet baby ray's sauce.

Pork Tenderloin Recipe:

I bake pork tenderloin uncovered and baste with a mixture of soy sauce and apricot jam. I use a meat thermometer and take it just until it is 160 degrees, then let it rest. Some people take it to 150 and let it rest covered. It is up to you, I like mine white not pink.

STEPS

Preheat your oven to 350º. (do not increase the oven temperature as marinate will burn)

Two medium pork tenderloins

Spray an 11” x 17” (no larger) baking dish with cooking spray.
Use a sharp knife to poke 6 holes along the topside of each of the tenderloins going about an inch deep.
Push a sliver of garlic into each hole and place the tenderloins in the baking dish.
In a small sauce pan whisk together about 1/2 cup soy sauce and a bottle of apricot jam. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute then turn off to cool. Do this to taste. If you like it sweeter, add less soy.

Pour about 1/2 cup marinade over the tenderloins.

Bake uncovered for approx 45 minutes basting every 7–10 minutes. This gives the tenderloins a delicious glaze over the top. You have to adjust the times. If you have a small tenderloin it would be less time. About half way through use your cooking thermometer to check it to see how the temperature is doing. Keep an eye on this checking temperature periodically. You do not want to overcook or undercook. Once the temperature hits 125 it goes up fast so be ready. Do not just eyeball it. You must use your cooking thermometer to be safe as you cannot undercook or overcook pork tenderloin. I usually cook it to 155 - 160 then remove to cutting board and cover with foil and let rest for 10 minutes.

Thinly slice the tenderloins and transfer to a serving dish or plates.
Take the remaining marinade and boil it on the stove for 2 minutes on low to medium temperature. Since it touched the raw meat you must not skip this step. Slice the meat and put on a plate. Drizzle the marinade from the pan over the sliced pork medallions and enjoy!
A variation to this is to use fig jam and soy. Fabulous!
Old 04-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

This is my go to meal. It takes time but well worth it.....we get rave reviews every time.

Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder with Peach Sauce

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS
Bone-in pork butt takes longer to cook than boneless but retains more moisture and cooks more evenly. We started our slow-roasted pork shoulder recipe by rubbing our roast’s exterior with brown sugar and salt, then left it to rest overnight. The sugar dried out the exterior and boosted browning. Elevating the pork shoulder on a V-rack and pouring water in the roasting pan kept the slow-roasted pork’s drippings from burning as it roasted. It also created a significant jus with no burning. Finally, a fruity sauce recipe with sweet and sour elements cut the slow-roasted pork shoulder’s richness.

Slow-Roasted Pork

INGREDIENTS

1 bone-in pork butt, 6 to 8 pounds (see note)
⅓ cup kosher salt
⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
ground black pepper

PEACH SAUCE
10 ounces frozen peaches, cut into 1-inch chunks (about 2 cups) or 2 fresh peaches, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
2 cups dry white wine
½ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard

INSTRUCTIONS
SERVES 8 TO 12
We prefer natural to enhanced pork (pork that has been injected with a salt solution to increase moistness and flavor), though both will work in this recipe. Add more water to the roasting pan as necessary during the last hours of cooking to prevent the fond from burning. Serve the pork with the accompanying peach sauce or cherry sauce (related recipe) or with a sweet-tart chutney.

1. FOR THE ROAST: Using sharp knife, cut slits 1 inch apart in crosshatch pattern in fat cap of roast, being careful not to cut into meat. Combine salt and brown sugar in medium bowl. Rub salt mixture over entire pork shoulder and into slits. Wrap roast tightly in double layer of plastic wrap, place on rimmed baking sheet, and refrigerate at least 12 and up to 24 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Unwrap roast and brush off any excess salt mixture from surface. Season roast with pepper. Transfer roast to V-rack coated with nonstick cooking spray set in large roasting pan and add 1 quart water to roasting pan.

3. Cook roast, basting twice during cooking, until meat is extremely tender and instant-read thermometer inserted into roast near but not touching bone registers 190 degrees, 5 to 6 hours. Transfer roast to carving board and let rest, loosely tented with foil, 1 hour. Transfer liquid in roasting pan to fat separator and let stand 5 minutes. Pour off ¼ cup jus; discard fat and reserve remaining jus for another use.

4. FOR THE SAUCE: Bring peaches, wine, granulated sugar, ¼ cup vinegar, ¼ cup defatted jus, and thyme to simmer in small saucepan; cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 2 cups, about 30 minutes. Stir in remaining tablespoon vinegar and mustard. Remove thyme, cover, and keep warm.

5. Using sharp paring knife, cut around inverted T-shaped bone until it can be pulled free from roast (use clean kitchen towel to grasp bone). Using serrated knife, slice roast. Serve, passing sauce separately.

Bone-In Pork Butt: Fatty, Moist, Flavorful
Instead of the lean, center-cut loin, our choice for roasting is pork butt (also known as Boston butt). This shoulder roast packs plenty of intramuscular fat that melts and bastes the meat during cooking, and it’s available with or without the bone. We prefer bone-in for two reasons: First, bone conducts heat poorly and, in effect, acts as an insulator against heat. This means that the meat surrounding it stays cooler and the roast cooks at a slower, gentler pace. Second, bones have a large percentage of the meat’s connective tissue attached to them, which eventually breaks down to gelatin and helps the roast retain moisture.

BETTER WITH THE BONE

TECHNIQUE
The Importance of Taking Things Slow
For super-tender meat and a deeply browned crust, our roast pork shoulder takes time—about 24 hours total—but the results are worth the wait.

OVERNIGHT SALTY-SWEET RUB

We rub our roast with a mixture of salt and sugar and let it rest overnight. The salt enhances juiciness and seasons the meat throughout, while the sugar caramelizes to create a crackling-crisp, salty-sweet crust.

LOW OVEN

Just like in a pot roast, cooking the pork low and slow (325 degrees for 5 to 6 hours) pushes the meat well beyond its “done” mark into the 190-degree range, encouraging intramuscular fat to melt, collagen to break down and tenderize the meat, and the fat cap to render and crisp

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
roast, sauce, meat, cook, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.