Instant Pot Pressure Cooking Question

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2021, 05:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default Instant Pot Pressure Cooking Question

His Dogliness is on turkey and rice and will be for a while. I've been making it in the IP: one pound ground turkey, 3/4 cup uncooked rice, one quart water. Pressure Cook High for 11 minutes.

I'd like to double these ingredients. (The doubled ingredients do not come up to the Max Fill line.)
Should I double the pressure cooking time or leave it the same?

Thanks for any help.
PS: Yes, I googled, to no avail. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Same. We cook our dogs food as well. We use the cheapest chicken cook it then debone to add to the rice
Old 08-25-2021, 05:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Same. We cook our dogs food as well. We use the cheapest chicken cook it then debone to add to the rice
Thanks. So you cook your dog's meat separately. Goldens are normally allergic to chicken (ours is), so we use ground turkey. It's easiest to cook it along with the rice. He's lapping it up; I'd just like to make a few days' worth at a time.

The first time, I doubled the time. It wasn't a disaster or overcooked, but I noticed the contents reached the top of the IP. Made me nervous.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:05 PM

Your mention of contents reaching the top prompted me to check my instruction manual and I found this: “When cooking foods that expand during cooking such as rice or dried vegetables, do not fill the appliance over 1/2 full. Over filling may cause a risk of clogging the vent pipe and developing excess pressure.” Perhaps you have room to add more, but not necessarily completely double your recipe?? I’m familiar with a couple years of cooking the chicken & rice routine for our dogs. I’ll be thinking of your cooking kindness as you care of your canine friend.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowTime View Post
Your mention of contents reaching the top prompted me to check my instruction manual and I found this: “When cooking foods that expand during cooking such as rice or dried vegetables, do not fill the appliance over 1/2 full. Over filling may cause a risk of clogging the vent pipe and developing excess pressure.” Perhaps you have room to add more, but not necessarily completely double your recipe?? I’m familiar with a couple years of cooking the chicken & rice routine for our dogs. I’ll be thinking of your cooking kindness as you care of your canine friend.
Thanks, NowTime, for the information and the comment. These senior dogs are precious.

I obviously should have read the manual first. I think I better back it off. I could do two loads in one day and keep it safe. Good information.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Veteran member

Do not increase the time, the pot will auto adjust by taking more time to build up pressure. Ensure you don't surpass the fill line..
Old 08-25-2021, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
Do not increase the time, the pot will auto adjust by taking more time to build up pressure. Ensure you don't surpass the fill line..
Thanks. I will try again with the original time.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:06 AM

I agree, use the original time.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
His Dogliness is on turkey and rice and will be for a while. I've been making it in the IP: one pound ground turkey, 3/4 cup uncooked rice, one quart water. Pressure Cook High for 11 minutes.

I'd like to double these ingredients. (The doubled ingredients do not come up to the Max Fill line.)
Should I double the pressure cooking time or leave it the same?

Thanks for any help.
PS: Yes, I googled, to no avail. Perhaps I didn't word it correctly.
Keep the same time. You can add sweet potatoes and green beans. I some times add barley. My princess loves it
Old 08-26-2021, 08:04 AM

My fur kids are crazy about quinoa from the instant pot, too. Makes for a nice change of pace.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:48 AM

My Wire Fox Terrier is also allergic to chicken so I use my instant pot. Sauté 2-3 lbs beef, then add 24 oz frozen vegetables, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 2 cups bone broth, 3 tbsp coconut oil or salmon oil and high pressure 7 mins. I cook 2 cups rice in my rice cooker then mix together. Freeze in Amazon plastic qt containers. Loves it!!
Old 08-26-2021, 09:16 AM
Default I love you guys!!!

Cooking nutritious meals for your fur babies makes you the BEST PEOPLE!

Thanks for the recipe ideas, too!
Old 08-26-2021, 09:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Gerry clark View Post
Keep the same time. You can add sweet potatoes and green beans. I some times add barley. My princess loves it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolsadd View Post
My Wire Fox Terrier is also allergic to chicken so I use my instant pot. Sauté 2-3 lbs beef, then add 24 oz frozen vegetables, 1 cup frozen blueberries, 2 cups bone broth, 3 tbsp coconut oil or salmon oil and high pressure 7 mins. I cook 2 cups rice in my rice cooker then mix together. Freeze in Amazon plastic qt containers. Loves it!!
Good ideas. Right now we are battling a GI problem that came out of nowhere. He's been blood-tested twice & doggy kopectated, and currently we're on our second round of very strong antibiotics plus some kind of antibiotic powder that only acts in the gut. (Wha...?) Otherwise not acting the least bit sick. It's starting to improve but it will be quite a while before we can add anything else. I am giving vitamin and mineral supplements in the interim.
Old 08-26-2021, 10:47 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Good ideas. Right now we are battling a GI problem that came out of nowhere.
My dog had the same problem, I felt so bad for him that I was cooking food for him too. Then a breeder suggested Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice for sensitive tummies. It was a life saver, he loved it and it fixed all his GI problems.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:59 AM
Platinum member
Thumbs up

We use our pressure cooker mainly for our Jack Russell girl as well...
Closed Thread

Tags
cooking, double, ingredients, pressure, turkey

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.