Joy of Cooking...Does anyone use cookbooks anymore?

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2017, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Joy of Cooking...Does anyone use cookbooks anymore?

I don't, although many are stored in the desk drawer by my knee. I was gifted with Betty Crocker Cookbook as a wedding gift and much later purchased the Joy of cooking. In the Joy of Cooking, "Cockaigne"(favorite home recipes) recipes are named after Cincinnati home of Marion & John Becker (Irma Rombauer's daughter & Ethan Becker's mother) They were often in the local news in Cincinnati.

The Joy of Cooking leaves no stone unturned, even showing how to gut game. (eww) and prepare sweetbreads. (ick)

I gave away many cookbooks when we moved here permanently because a lot of the information was available more easily on line. I love to cook. I find simple things like Custard so yummy, and find joy in a good meatloaf.

What are some of your favorite things to make that are not difficult?

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-06-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

One of my uncles made our family cookbook by copying and compiling into a book recipes from my grandmother, mother, aunts, cousins, sister and their friends. I use it all the time. Recipes seem more important because they are hand written with personal notes. Things like this become more and more important as family members join the Church Triumphant.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I do the cookin' here (I'm a guy not that it matters, just sayin'). We eat dinner in 5-6 nights week. So I'm the Chief Cook, she's the Bottle Washer...

Typically make Tried & True dishes here. No recipes needed. Favs= Pan seared fresh salmon with sweet potato and fresh veggies. Have about 2x week. Stuffed green peppers using ground turkey. Thin crust pizza - done in toaster oven. Chicken tenders or thin pork tenderloin strips sauteed with fresh sides. Veggie stir-fry with strips of chicken breast. EVERYTHING prepped with no salt, lightly spiced and with Mrs Dash. Olive oil used. Some of the dishes made are enough for two dinner meals for us...nice. The best part> We KNOW the ingredients. And although we enjoy a nice meal out - freshly made at home saves mucho $$$ and hassle.

Oh - we have the usual cookbook volumes here, but never cracked open. Google tends to be my helper if I forget the internal temp for pork tenderloin etc, or search for chili recipes et al...
Old 08-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Platinum member

Last edited by Fraugoofy; 10-12-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Sage
Default Johnny Marzetti

A recipe for an Ohio favorite, Johnny Marzetti, is found in The Joy of Cooking, along with Cincinnati Chili.

Johnny Marzetti was brought to just about every picnic, family gathering, funeral and potluck I attended growing up in Columbus and living for forty years in Cincinnati.

Like most post depression recipe's it could feed an army. Here is the recipe for four people;

1 pound hamburger browned with a diced medium onion. (minced celery is sometimes added)

Add a can of crushed tomatoes OR a can of tomato soup OR a can of tomato sauce.

I have always added a couple of tablespoons of brown sugar, although Marion Rombauer doesn't. We German's add sugar to almost everything. .

Cook pasta, I choose elbow macaroni and mix with meat mixture. On top I put American cheese and Parmesan cheese. It almost always is received well.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I still use a few cookbooks and handed down recipes. The best cookbook I have is "The American Encyclopedia of Cooking" It has any recipe I have ever needed in it. Best pie crust and baked beans and so many others.

I also have several specialty cookbooks I use. The Tuscany cook book, the 1000 appetizers book, the Ray's Boathouse cookbook and a few others.

But I do find myself using online recipes more and more every year. So I expect that some day I will only keep the hand me down recipes.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Sage

Pinterest has all the recipes a person could ask for. Even my old time favorites are on there. I pin them on my own boards and have them categorized by type. Here's a link to my Pinterest board if you would like to see some of my favorites.

Judy Nieman (judyinfl) on Pinterest

I do keep some of my old time cookbooks from my son's school or town, plus my favorite Betty Crocker cookbook from the 70's. I still use the family goulash recipe from there as well as the beef stroganoff.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Platinum member

I print out recipes I use from Pinterest, Skinnytaste and any Iinstant Pot user groups on facebook that we like. As to real cookbooks I gave mine away when I moved to Florida from San Francisco years ago. The internet provides all the searchin I need for recipe ideas.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Now you have my thinking Gracie that it is time to clean out my cookbooks. I mostly use recipes I have cut out of magazines and have in a plastic bin. The recipes I use all the time I have scanned.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I use The Joy of Cooking occasionally when I do not want to dig online for information. I do a lot of crock pot stuff and it does not seem to be all that up-to-date with those kind of recipes.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I don't, although many are stored in the desk drawer by my knee. I was gifted with Betty Crocker Cookbook as a wedding gift and much later purchased the Joy of cooking. In the Joy of Cooking, "Cockaigne"(favorite home recipes) recipes are named after Cincinnati home of Marion & John Becker (Irma Rombauer's daughter & Ethan Becker's mother) They were often in the local news in Cincinnati.

The Joy of Cooking leaves no stone unturned, even showing how to gut game. (eww) and prepare sweetbreads. (ick)

I gave away many cookbooks when we moved here permanently because a lot of the information was available more easily on line. I love to cook. I find simple things like Custard so yummy, and find joy in a good meatloaf.

Gracie, dear. I LOVE cookbooks. Oddly enough, I rarely actually cook from them. I treat them like a novel. I read them cover to cover from the forward/intro through sources. They inform my opinions and knowledge of food. I had books from many places: most of Europe/eastern Europe, Asia, South America, Nordic, regional American, American classics (Joy, James Beard, Julia Child--who I met three times--etc.) Africa. One of the favorites I kept: The Kimchi Cookbook (I adore kimchi). Thinking about it, I don't think i"e seen one from Australia/New Zealand.

When Honey and I moved from the Boston area to Provincetown (Cape Cod), I donated 400 cookbooks to the library. When wee moved from Provincetown to TV, another 400-450 cookbooks to the library. Alas I have only about 60-70 now. However, I've discovered I can save a fortune by visiting the library, LOL!

I do agree with you: Joy of Cooking covers EVERYTHING! I have one from the early 70s, and another from 1997.

P.S.: I love sweetbreads, too. For that matter, you'll be hard pressed to find something I won't eat.

Last edited by Henryk; 08-06-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Default Ohio Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Gracie, My cousin Mary Louise Early and her husband Roger owned Early's Antiques in Milford / Terrace Park. This is her corn pudding recipe, simple but fantastic!

4 cups fresh corn cut off the cob
1 tsp salt / pepper
2 Tbs sugar
3 slightly beaten eggs
2 cups milk
3 Tbs melted butter

Grease a casserole dish with 1 Tbs soft butter add mixture and bake at 350d for about 1 hour.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I have more than 30 cookbooks,most signed, some from restaurants like disney, child, and those from my great grandmothers in their own handwriting (two red cups of flour ) translated from German, and native American (grind corn from two good size cobs)

I can get any recipe online, but will choose a book instead.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Ludwigs View Post
Gracie, My cousin Mary Louise Early and her husband Roger owned Early's Antiques in Milford / Terrace Park. This is her corn pudding recipe, simple but fantastic!

4 cups fresh corn cut off the cob
1 tsp salt / pepper
2 Tbs sugar
3 slightly beaten eggs
2 cups milk
3 Tbs melted butter

Grease a casserole dish with 1 Tbs soft butter add mixture and bake at 350d for about 1 hour.
One of our holiday side dishes, always. YUM.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:47 PM

I go back to a few old cookbooks for some favorites. Even though many recipes are available online, I find the current ones have changed a bit, perhaps to make them "healthier." This often alters the taste dramatically. Forgot my spritz recipe when baking with my grandchildren at Christmas. I found the Betty Crocker one online but they tasted very different from my traditional ones. On comparing that one to my original when I got home, the only change was that the amount of salt was cut in half. Amazing what a negative difference it made. Also wouldn't be without the recipe from my ARC cookbook for the best buckeyes ever.
Closed Thread

Tags
joy, cooking, lot, things, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.