Let's Resume This Food Fight

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2015, 06:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
When showing Michael Corleone how to make it, Clemenza called it sauce
I believe he said, "Take the gun, leave the gravy".
Old 10-18-2015, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I believe he said, "Take the gun, leave the gravy".
Early morning dyslexia?
Old 10-18-2015, 06:39 AM
Eternal Member

When I make spaghetti, it's sauce to me if it has meat or no meat.
Gravy is what I make for foods like pot roast, pork roast & turkey.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
When I make spaghetti, it's sauce to me if it has meat or no meat.
Gravy is what I make for foods like pot roast, pork roast & turkey.
Like Brad Pitt and I said--dead cow, dead pig, dead turkey
Old 10-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Email Reported As Spam

As I have repeated many times before in my family you were required to discuss politics and religion but recipes, cooking.. no that would get you in a heap of trouble and especially how to make pasta sauce, yes sauce.

Gravy is brown belongs on mashed potatoes in beef stew on french fries and a light brown sauce encompassing one of my all time favorites veal scaloppine

Sauce is red belongs on pasta, polenta or for dipping Italian bread while the sauce simmers on the stove

My mother was religiously devoted to her cooking especially pasta sauce. She used combinations of pork and beef and added chunks of beef just for me ( I was her favorite) . She would let the sauce cool on the stove so that she could remove much of the grease that formed at the top. she made a wonderful marinara sauce. Needless to say our house was always overcrowded with visitors and the more people who visited the more animated she became....to go back to that house for just one more meal

If I called pasta sauce gravy she would have washed my mouth out with soap
Old 10-18-2015, 06:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
As I have repeated many times before in my family you were required to discuss politics and religion but recipes, cooking.. no that would get you in a heap of trouble and especially how to make pasta sauce, yes sauce.

Gravy is brown belongs on mashed potatoes in beef stew on french fries and a light brown sauce encompassing one of my all time favorites veal scaloppine

Sauce is red belongs on pasta, polenta or for dipping Italian bread while the sauce simmers on the stove

My mother was religiously devoted to her cooking especially pasta sauce. She used combinations of pork and beef and added chunks of beef just for me ( I was her favorite) . She would let the sauce cool on the stove so that she could remove much of the grease that formed at the top.

If I called pasta sauce gravy she would have washed my mouth out with soap

And Jimmy at Lasca's calls it SAUCE as well
Old 10-18-2015, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

Mom and all of the family growing up called it gravy. Didn't matter if there was meat in it or not, the red sauce was always called gravy. Actually, it referred to the whole meal. If someone was coming over it was "I'll throw on a pot of gravy". That was ...the gravy, with meatballs, sausage and sometimes bracciole or pork, the pasta (whatever Mom wanted to make that day), a big salad OR antipasta (again, whatever Mom felt like making), loaves of Italian bread, and probably some cookies or tiramisu for dessert. Moved to Florida and met some friends at work from NY and when she said "throw on a pot of gravy", I laughed because it was like "home". They have been my good friends and Florida family for 15 years. So...I'm from Philly, they're from NY. I think it's something our Grandmothers always said, and mine were from Italy. I always remember hearing gravy, not sauce. And, as I'm typing, I'm thinking. We really didn't do a lot of brown gravies growing up, so there was no mix up there, we knew gravy was pasta...or, macaroni, yes, whatever the shape! More often that not, Mom just said macaroni...hahaha!! Funny stuff....good remembering.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Sage

Looks like it is going to end up as potato or potatoe
potato or potahto, tomato or tomahto

Who started this anyway? (yes, I know post #1)
Old 10-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

And Jimmy at Lasca's calls it SAUCE as well
As i recall two cousins started that restaurant along with the father of one. the father a dentist was my dentist as a kid. Lasca's is a dream come true. I don't think they are capable of making a bad meal...and their deserts
Old 10-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
As i recall two cousins started that restaurant along with the father of one. the father a dentist was my dentist as a kid. Lasca's is a dream come true. I don't think they are capable of making a bad meal...and their deserts
Your dentist as a kid was my patient in his retirement. Good guy, the restaurant was named for his wife
Old 10-18-2015, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Your dentist as a kid was my patient in his retirement. Good guy, the restaurant was named for his wife

I know I am confused, but in one post I thought you said you were an OBG. I think it might be time for a martini.
Cheers!
Old 10-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I know I am confused, but in one post I thought you said you were an OBG. I think it might be time for a martini.
Cheers!
Boy, you ARE confused. Perhaps it was the thread with a woman GYN from Ithaca whose brother is an ortho (mine for 28 years) that just moved to practice in TV. I practice(d) Internal Medicine
Old 10-18-2015, 04:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Boy, you ARE confused. Perhaps it was the thread with a woman GYN from Ithaca whose brother is an ortho (mine for 28 years) that just moved to practice in TV. I practice(d) Internal Medicine

Thank goodness! I was worried about the poor dentist and what you may have done to him.

I believe that was the thread that confused me.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Sunday Gravy Real Italian Spaghetti Sauce)and Meatballs Recipe - Food.com

Looks strange to me but I am Irish/German/Scotch/English.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:19 PM
Sage

IT IS SAUCE!!!!!

Closed Thread

Tags
sauce, italian, called, meat, sunday, thought, gravy, origin, ancestors, italy, part, issue, disclaimer, resume, food, fight, italians, harmed, make, appetit, bon, making, post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.