Low and Slow Chuck Roast for pulled beef

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2020, 12:07 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We don't have a smoker.

I love tender chuck roast and usually buy one large enough for two meals. One for fall apart tender roast beef and gravy with mashed potatoes and the leftover part for homemade barbecue by simply adding brown sugar, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, a bit of vinegar and yellow mustard.

I brown the beef on both sides and put it in my pan with a tight lid called a Dutch oven and put one package of Lipton Onion Soup mix on the top, add about a half cup of water and put it in my regular oven at 275 for about five or six hours.

It is very, very fall apart tender, dark and succulent and smells so yummy as it's cooking. We had it last week.

I know. You were talking about a smoker.

Good morning.
Made me think of my mother's process for pot roast, right down to the Lipton dry soup ! Every other Sunday usually, then some ended up as home made Bar-B-Q with the brown sugar, and finally the little tidbits left in "hash".
Old 11-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree.

I have done it low and slow in the oven for years. When I was young we were fed on cheaper, tougher cuts of beef to feed big families. The Dutch oven with the lid and the 275 temperature for five or six hours make them fall apart tender. Don't forget to brown them first and don't forget about a half cup water. Try not to peek at it a lot to keep the steam in. The Lipton onion soup dry mix on top adds rich flavor.

Y'all trust me on this. People give good comments on my roast as well as my grandchildren.
I'll have to try to dry mix thing next go round.
Closed Thread

Tags
great, smoker, bit, hours, chuck

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.