Mac & Cheese Recipe

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2020, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default Mac & Cheese Recipe

I like to cook and I've cooked a ton of mac & cheese recipes hoping to find the one that will 'trump' that Kraft blue box that I grew up with that was soooooo great...without success

I don't know if I need to double the amount of cheese in the recipes I'mn trying or what....maybe there isn't a recipe out there that can really make an adult feel like 'ya, this one tops that ole Kraft dinner' big time....

any recipes that you would care to share would be appreciated
Old 09-22-2020, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Do not have a recipe but make a good tasting cheese sauce and pour it over the macaroni.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I like to cook and I've cooked a ton of mac & cheese recipes hoping to find the one that will 'trump' that Kraft blue box that I grew up with that was soooooo great...without success

I don't know if I need to double the amount of cheese in the recipes I'mn trying or what....maybe there isn't a recipe out there that can really make an adult feel like 'ya, this one tops that ole Kraft dinner' big time....

Do you have a smoker? There are some great recipes on youtube. Here's one of my favorites..

Smoked Mac & Cheese Recipe | Macaroni & Cheese on Smoker Malcom Reed HowToBBQRight - YouTube

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Do you have a smoker? There are some great recipes on youtube. Here's one of my favorites..

Smoked Mac & Cheese Recipe | Macaroni & Cheese on Smoker Malcom Reed HowToBBQRight - YouTube
nope, I don't have a smoker...thinking about it though, but it's still way out in the future
Old 09-22-2020, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,084 Posts
Default Here ya go. The real deal.

Hard-core BAKED macaroni and cheese, the way it's supposed to be:
Oven 400°

Ingredients:
1/2 pound cavatappi (spiral macaroni)
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 c. milk
1 c. light or heavy cream (not whipping cream, not half-n-half, must be real dairy)
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
2 c. shredded sharp (or sharp/extra blend, or sharp/gouda blend) cheddar cheese
1/2 c. breadcrumbs (I use italian seasoned breadcrumbs)

400°
1. Cook the pasta in boiling water, til just a little MORE cooked than "al dente."
2. Set aside cooked drained pasta into a baking dish. I use a glass corningware 8x8 but you can use no-stick 9x11 if that's what you have.
3. Make a roux with melted butter, flour, salt, pepper. (google that if you don't know how to make a roux, it's important)
*4. Add cream & milk slowly, stir constantly.
5. Reduce heat after it boils, keep stirring and cooking for 10 minutes.
6. add cheddar and simmer til cheese melts
7. Dump cheese sauce over pasta, stir to coat well.
8. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top.
9. Bake 20 minutes or til top is golden brown.

* Adding the milk and cream to the roux makes a bechamel sauce - you can use that for all kinds of things, not just mac & cheese!
** You can swap out 4 tablespoons of the milk, and add a tablespoon of worchestershire sauce plus 3 tablespoons of cooking sherry if you want a "gourmet" foodie-type aftertaste. You can also add grilled boneless skinless chicken breast chunks, or a DRAINED package of peas if that's your thing. I'm a purist, I like it the original way, served molten hot in an ice cream bowl.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

I make the cheese sauce with half and half and a smoked sharp cheddar cheese. But the real secret is to serve a scoop of BBQ pulled pork over the top. Trust me a great taste combination.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Hard-core BAKED macaroni and cheese, the way it's supposed to be:
Oven 400°

Ingredients:
1/2 pound cavatappi (spiral macaroni)
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 c. milk
1 c. light or heavy cream (not whipping cream, not half-n-half, must be real dairy)
1/2 tsp salt
black pepper to taste
2 c. shredded sharp (or sharp/extra blend, or sharp/gouda blend) cheddar cheese
1/2 c. breadcrumbs (I use italian seasoned breadcrumbs)

400°
1. Cook the pasta in boiling water, til just a little MORE cooked than "al dente."
2. Set aside cooked drained pasta into a baking dish. I use a glass corningware 8x8 but you can use no-stick 9x11 if that's what you have.
3. Make a roux with melted butter, flour, salt, pepper. (google that if you don't know how to make a roux, it's important)
*4. Add cream & milk slowly, stir constantly.
5. Reduce heat after it boils, keep stirring and cooking for 10 minutes.
6. add cheddar and simmer til cheese melts
7. Dump cheese sauce over pasta, stir to coat well.
8. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over top.
9. Bake 20 minutes or til top is golden brown.

* Adding the milk and cream to the roux makes a bechamel sauce - you can use that for all kinds of things, not just mac & cheese!
** You can swap out 4 tablespoons of the milk, and add a tablespoon of worchestershire sauce plus 3 tablespoons of cooking sherry if you want a "gourmet" foodie-type aftertaste. You can also add grilled boneless skinless chicken breast chunks, or a DRAINED package of peas if that's your thing. I'm a purist, I like it the original way, served molten hot in an ice cream bowl.
Thank you for taking the time to respond with this. It's almost identical to the one that I use....maybe I just need to double the cheese
Old 09-23-2020, 06:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I make the cheese sauce with half and half and a smoked sharp cheddar cheese. But the real secret is to serve a scoop of BBQ pulled pork over the top. Trust me a great taste combination.

Now that is an interesting twist
Old 09-23-2020, 07:03 AM
Default Without a doubt the best mac&cheese you’ll ever make. Lobster optional

Quote:

Lobster Mac and Cheese Southern Style
Ingredients
For the Lobster
* 5 lobster tails Go up to 6 tails if you want it super meaty
* 10 tbsp unsalted butter divided
* 1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
For the Pasta
* 8 cups water
* 1 lb cavatappi pasta
For the Cheese Sauce
* 1 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar
* 1 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack
* 1 1/2 cup shredded gruyere
* 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 2 tsp minced garlic
* 1/2 cup all purpose flour
* 2 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 1/4 cup whole milk
* 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
* 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp dry mustard
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
For the Assembly
* 2 large eggs beaten
* 1/2 cup panko crumbs
* Chopped parsley for garnish
Instructions
For the Lobster
* Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut lobster tails in half vertically and place on a foil lined baking sheet.

* Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the tops of lobster tails with butter then sprinkle with cajun seasoning. 

* Bake for 10 minutes or until they develop a beautiful color then remove from shells. Roughly chop lobster into large chunks in a medium sized bowl and pour remaining butter from the baking sheet over the lobster and set aside.

* Lower temperature on oven to 375 degrees.

For the Pasta
* Next add water in a large pot along with some salt and boil pasta according to the package. Drain and set aside.

For the Cheese Sauce
* Toss all shredded cheeses together in a large bowl and set aside.

* Add olive oil to pan and heat over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute then add 3 more tablespoons of butter to the pan and allow to melt down.

* Quickly whisk in flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.

* Pour in heavy cream and whole milk continuing to whisk.

* Next add onion powder , garlic powder, dry mustard, paprika and cayenne continuing to whisk.

* Season with salt and pepper to taste.

* Stir in half of shredded cheeses and allow them to melt continuing to stir.

To Assemble
* Once cheese melts down, turn off heat. Add beaten eggs and 1 tablespoon of butter to pasta. Toss everything together until butter has melted. Add pasta to a 9x13 inch baking sheet and stir in beaten eggs and 1 tablespoon of butter. 

* Add pasta to 9x13 inch baking sheet. Next pour as much of the cheese sauce as you would like (for super cheesy, use it all) and half of the lobster to the pasta and mix super well. 

* Next spread remaining lobster over top of mac and cheese. Top with remaining shredded cheeses leaving the lobster pieces bare so they will be seen once baked. P.S. Add extra shredded cheese to the top of this dish if you want it to be super cheesy and have all the cheese pulls.

* Finally in a small bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and add breadcrumbs and toss together.

* Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top leaving the lobster mostly bare so it peeks through and bake at 375 for 27-35 minutes.

* Rest for 10 minutes, sprinkle with parsley then serve.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Default Great Mac and Cheese recipes shared!

Great Lobster mac and cheese recipe . Thank yo ufor sharing. Also the original post of how to make mac and cheese was my original recipe. A roux is the best way.
Way to go Villagers!
Old 09-23-2020, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you for taking the time to respond with this. It's almost identical to the one that I use....maybe I just need to double the cheese
If you are really looking to duplicate the Kraft blue box mac and cheese, what you need to do is cut the cheese down to almost nothing. And use emulsifiers instead of making a roux. That blue box product contains "cheese dust," not real cheese. Federal food programs do not even allow it to be used because it contains so little real protein.

Pick up a box at the grocery and read the ingredients. You will see what I mean.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,453 Times in 3,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
If you are really looking to duplicate the Kraft blue box mac and cheese, what you need to do is cut the cheese down to almost nothing. And use emulsifiers instead of making a roux. That blue box product contains "cheese dust," not real cheese. Federal food programs do not even allow it to be used because it contains so little real protein.

Pick up a box at the grocery and read the ingredients. You will see what I mean.
I'm reading the ingredients off the box at home. It is a duplicate of what I found on the Kraft website, so I'll post a copy/paste here:

Quote:
ENRICHED MACARONI (WHEAT FLOUR, DURUM FLOUR, NIACIN, FERROUS SULFATE [IRON], THIAMIN MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], RIBOFLAVIN [VITAMIN B2], FOLIC ACID); CHEESE SAUCE MIX (WHEY, MILKFAT, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SALT, SODIUM TRIPHOSPHATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 2% OF CITRIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, SODIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM PHOSPHATE, WITH PAPRIKA, TURMERIC, AND ANNATTO ADDED FOR COLOR, ENZYMES, CHEESE CULTURE).
SHOW LESS
No cheese dust. It's cheese sauce mix. The ingredients to make the cheese sauce mix, are juuuuust about the same as the ingredients to make yellow cheddar cheese.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Azz View Post
Lobster Mac and Cheese Southern Style
Ingredients
For the Lobster
* 5 lobster tails Go up to 6 tails if you want it super meaty
* 10 tbsp unsalted butter divided
* 1 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
For the Pasta
* 8 cups water
* 1 lb cavatappi pasta
For the Cheese Sauce
* 1 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar
* 1 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack
* 1 1/2 cup shredded gruyere
* 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 2 tsp minced garlic
* 1/2 cup all purpose flour
* 2 1/4 cup heavy cream
* 2 1/4 cup whole milk
* 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
* 1 1/4 tsp garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp dry mustard
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1/4 tsp cayenne powder
For the Assembly
* 2 large eggs beaten
* 1/2 cup panko crumbs
* Chopped parsley for garnish
Instructions
For the Lobster
* Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut lobster tails in half vertically and place on a foil lined baking sheet.

* Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush the tops of lobster tails with butter then sprinkle with cajun seasoning. 

* Bake for 10 minutes or until they develop a beautiful color then remove from shells. Roughly chop lobster into large chunks in a medium sized bowl and pour remaining butter from the baking sheet over the lobster and set aside.

* Lower temperature on oven to 375 degrees.

For the Pasta
* Next add water in a large pot along with some salt and boil pasta according to the package. Drain and set aside.

For the Cheese Sauce
* Toss all shredded cheeses together in a large bowl and set aside.

* Add olive oil to pan and heat over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute then add 3 more tablespoons of butter to the pan and allow to melt down.

* Quickly whisk in flour and cook for approximately 1 minute.

* Pour in heavy cream and whole milk continuing to whisk.

* Next add onion powder , garlic powder, dry mustard, paprika and cayenne continuing to whisk.

* Season with salt and pepper to taste.

* Stir in half of shredded cheeses and allow them to melt continuing to stir.

To Assemble
* Once cheese melts down, turn off heat. Add beaten eggs and 1 tablespoon of butter to pasta. Toss everything together until butter has melted. Add pasta to a 9x13 inch baking sheet and stir in beaten eggs and 1 tablespoon of butter. 

* Add pasta to 9x13 inch baking sheet. Next pour as much of the cheese sauce as you would like (for super cheesy, use it all) and half of the lobster to the pasta and mix super well. 

* Next spread remaining lobster over top of mac and cheese. Top with remaining shredded cheeses leaving the lobster pieces bare so they will be seen once baked. P.S. Add extra shredded cheese to the top of this dish if you want it to be super cheesy and have all the cheese pulls.

* Finally in a small bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and add breadcrumbs and toss together.

* Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top leaving the lobster mostly bare so it peeks through and bake at 375 for 27-35 minutes.

* Rest for 10 minutes, sprinkle with parsley then serve.
Very interesting. Based on quantities of each ingredient seems like there will be much more in the way of sauce than pasta. Thinking you could probably use 3-4 pounds of pasta for the sauce this makes.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:06 AM

One of the yummiest and cheesiest recipes I’ve used. Yum. From Pampered Chef.

THE BLEND OF FOUR CHEESES IS WHAT GIVES THIS CROWD-PLEASER A SPECIAL FLAVOR. IT’S LOWER IN FAT DUE TO THE AVAILABILITY OF TODAY’S LIGHTER CHEESES... PLUS A FEW OTHER INGREDIENT ADJUSTMENTS.

INGREDIENTS
3 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked
2 ounces (1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese, grated
6 ounces light processed cheese product, cubed
2 ounces light cream cheese, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 onion Melba toast, crushed (1/3 cup)
1 tablespoon 70% vegetable oil spread, melted
DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare macaroni according to package directions; drain. Grate Parmesan cheese with Rotary Grater. Using Utility Knife, cube processed cheese and cream cheese; set aside. Combine flour and pepper in (4-qt.) Casserole. Add 1/2 cup milk, stirring with Nylon Whisk, until completely smooth. Gradually add remaining milk while stirring briskly. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; add cheeses, stirring until melted. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni. Pour mixture in Square Baker. Crush Melba toast in sealed plastic bag with Baker's Roller®. Combine with melted spread; sprinkle over top of macaroni. Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.

Yield:
6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
Approximately 446 calories and 13 grams of fat per serving
Old 09-24-2020, 05:39 AM

Quote:

Hi. Reading the responses to your post has been fun. I don't remember eating Kraft Mac and Cheese, but some of the commercially made dishes from restaurants where I have eaten have a tang to them. I would love to replicate that tang. Maybe some of the ingredients in the recipes provided will help me achieve that. Just my thought: more cheese won't achieve what you want. Thanks for posting.
Closed Thread

Tags
recipes, cheese, mac, kraft, recipe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.