Mac & Cheese Recipe

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I like to cook and I've cooked a ton of mac & cheese recipes hoping to find the one that will 'trump' that Kraft blue box that I grew up with that was soooooo great...without success

I don't know if I need to double the amount of cheese in the recipes I'mn trying or what....maybe there isn't a recipe out there that can really make an adult feel like 'ya, this one tops that ole Kraft dinner' big time....

any recipes that you would care to share would be appreciated
Hello, when I am looking for a new recipe, I google the item, then look over all the recipes, copy to a Word file the ones that interest me, and choose the one that seems best. Also, I may tweak the recipe adding or deleting anything that I think will make the recipe better. Good luck and YUM!
Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,052 Times in 523 Posts

Instead of trying to replicate the Kraft mac and cheese, why not simply buy a box and make it?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetD View Post
Everybody says they really like my Mac and Cheese. I make it for lots of pit licks and family holiday meals. Reading the recipes above this seems much simpler. I am not a fan of a very creamy mac and cheese. I also like a very sharp cheddar not a soft or sweet type taste from certain cheeses mentioned in other recipes.

About 2/3 box Barillo elbow macaroni. Cook al dente.
Grate 2 blocks of aged Irish cheddar cheese and 1 block of extra sharp cheddar. Best fresh grated not the pregrated pkg. Mix cheeses together well.
Mix and heat slowly about 2/3 cup of half and half, 2 tablespoons butter, and nutmeg to taste (about a 1/2 tsp) I do not use flour so it's not really a roux but you could. I don't feel it needs it.
Butter a glass baking dish. I prefer a deeper dish vs a longer one that will make a thin layer.
Cover bottom with one layer of Mac then a thick layer of cheese alternate layers of Mac and cheese until the dish is full and pour the warm milk mixture evenly over the top.
Bake at 375 for about 40-45 minutes until nicely browned.

Thank you...I'm now thinking that maybe it's the lack of really sharp aged cheddar that I may be missing....
Old 09-24-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniele View Post
I do not like flour in my Mac n cheese recipes. This one is the most recent recipe I have tried. It is good and super easy.

Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese
If you're looking for a homemade macaroni and cheese recipe like grandma used to make, this is it! Spice it up by using different cheeses like Pepper Jack!

Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 8 people

Ingredients
16 oz. box elbow macaroni
4 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded (reserve 1 cup for the top)
2 cups milk
4 eggs beaten
1/2 stick of butter
4 oz. cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
Prepare macaroni according to instructions on box.
Drain and return to pot.
Add 3 cups of cheese, milk, eggs, butter and cream cheese.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13 casserole dish.
Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.

Thank you....I'll try this one
Old 09-24-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Everybody says they really like my Mac and Cheese. I make it for lots of pit licks and family holiday meals. Reading the recipes above this seems much simpler. I am not a fan of a very creamy mac and cheese. I also like a very sharp cheddar not a soft or sweet type taste from certain cheeses mentioned in other recipes.

Grate 2 blocks of aged Irish cheddar cheese and 1 block of extra sharp cheddar. Best fresh grated not the pregrated pkg. Mix cheeses together well.
Mix and heat slowly about 2/3 cup of half and half, 2 tablespoons butter, and nutmeg to taste (about a 1/2 tsp) I do not use flour so it's not really a roux but you could. I don't feel it needs it.
Butter a glass baking dish. I prefer a deeper dish vs a longer one that will make a thin layer.
Cover bottom with one layer of Mac then a thick layer of cheese alternate layers of Mac and cheese until the dish is full and pour the warm milk mixture evenly over the top.
Hello, what is a "block" of cheese?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage

Thank you everyone for your many suggestions, advice and recipes!

my wife is allergic to lobster (like a trip to the ER) otherwise I'd be all over that one
Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyLee View Post
Hello, what is a "block" of cheese?
A chunk
Old 09-24-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Thank you....I'll try this one
Please let us know how it turns out Dave.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I like to cook and I've cooked a ton of mac & cheese recipes hoping to find the one that will 'trump' that Kraft blue box that I grew up with that was soooooo great...without success

I don't know if I need to double the amount of cheese in the recipes I'mn trying or what....maybe there isn't a recipe out there that can really make an adult feel like 'ya, this one tops that ole Kraft dinner' big time....

My boy Alton

Stove Top Mac-n-Cheese Recipe | Alton Brown | Food Network
Old 09-24-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm reading the ingredients off the box at home. It is a duplicate of what I found on the Kraft website, so I'll post a copy/paste here:

No cheese dust. It's cheese sauce mix. The ingredients to make the cheese sauce mix, are juuuuust about the same as the ingredients to make yellow cheddar cheese.
No, they're not. The first ingredient listed for the cheese sauce mix is whey. Whey is the stuff that cheesemakers throw out after the cheese has curdled. Farmers spread it on their fields for fertilizer. (I once worked for a cheese company in Wisconsin.)
Its a cheap ingredient yet its listed first. In a proper cheese sauce, cheese would be listed first. And a proper cheese sauce doesn't need paprika, turmeric, and annatto for color. The cheese has its own color.

As I said, Federal lunch and food service guidelines don't allow the boxed product to be used because it contains so little protein.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Oprah is supposed to have a great multiple cheese recipe. You can Google it. Good Luck.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by talleyjm View Post
Oprah is supposed to have a great multiple cheese recipe. You can Google it. Good Luck.
thank you...will do
Old 09-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

And now... for something easy...

10-minute, 3-Ingredient, Mac & Cheese
Old 09-24-2020, 04:27 PM

It’s like me there is no Sunday gravy like my mother’s because that’s what I grew up on.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:

What size are these "blocks" of cheese you're talking about? The packaged "block" of cheese in the supermarket is 8 ounces. That's half a pound of cheese. You're suggesting putting 1.5 pounds of cheese in a sauce to for less than a pound of macaroni.

I'm assuming your idea of a "block" of cheese is not what sells as a block of cheese in the supermarket.
Closed Thread

Tags
recipes, cheese, mac, kraft, recipe

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.