Mineral Film Buildup

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Question Mineral Film Buildup

Sorry that this is not a recipe or food related thread but I do need some help.

My dishes have developed what I assume is a mineral or film buildup. It is cloudy and slightly gritty in texture. I'm looking for a product or process that will help me remove this in a safe way. I hesitate to use Lime Away or such a chemical since I don't want any residue left behind.

I use good detergent in my dishwasher and a rinse aid. The problem only seems to be increasing.

Any helpful suggestions? Your help will be most appreciated.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

Do you use dishwasher salt? We do, and when it runs out this happens to my china and glass.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum member

Brit, what is dishwasher salt? The same thing is happening to my glassware. It's like a lime deposit. I wonder if there are more minerals in the water due to the drought? I thought of adding vinegar to my dishwasher, but I wondered what it would do to the silverware.

I'll get some dishwasher salt if it will help, but I've never heard of it. Can I use regular table salt? If so, how much do I use?
Thanks for any info,
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-31-2011, 02:25 PM

Apparently some dishwashers have a built-in water softener, which uses "dishwasher salt". But, I doubt that many homes in The Villages have this feature. We also have this problem and periodically wash the glasses by hand, with a little bit of Barkeepers Friend when necessary. That removes the film, but I sure would like to find an easier solution that doesn't risk doing more damage than it corrects. I wonder if this problem might be unique to some areas. Perhaps there's a difference in our water supply. We live in St Charles.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritParrothead View Post
Do you use dishwasher salt? We do, and when it runs out this happens to my china and glass.
In Germany, we also had a dishwasher that used salt in the cycle. It got the dishes amazing clean, even pots and pans.

If we could find a dishwasher like that [uses salt] in the US, we would buy it in a heartbeat. The only thing worse than our dishwasher is our clothes washer!

To avoid the film problem, we hand wash most glass items.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:36 PM

Google "Dishwasher salt"
http://www.dishwasher-care.org.uk/best.html
Old 05-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Smile film on glass

the film on your dishes is lime from the ground water wells vinigar will take most of it off as it contains a natural acid. we have a whole house filter to remove clorine and lime.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Platinum member

We used to use LimeAway for discolored dishwashers at work so it may work on dishes & glassware too but you can also use Tang (the drink the astronauts drink) and I know that won't hurt dishes and glassware.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Platinum member

There is also a powder additive called Lemi Shine, made to be added along with your dishwasher detergent. I think Walmart sells it.

In the meantime, try adding less detergent than usual and throw a cup of vinegar in at the final rinse, let the dishes, etc. air dry, and see if there is a difference.
Trying vinegar one time shouldn't harm your flatware. (as long as it's not fine silver!)
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Installing a water softner will eliminate this problem....plus many other benefits.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM
Default Try "Cascade Complete"

We had the same problem with the mineral build up and now use "Cascade Complete" - "All in 1." It is phosphate free

The detergent is in small sachets or "pacs" and is packaged in a plastic tub. We purchased from Sams Club.

This has improved the problem for us considerably.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:04 PM

Even using regular table salt will work to clean the dishes and glass wear.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I toss in an ounce of white vinegar when starting the wash cycle, which costs less than a penny, and that does a great job on this problem.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Gold member
Default Cloudy glassware

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Sorry that this is not a recipe or food related thread but I do need some help.

My dishes have developed what I assume is a mineral or film buildup. It is cloudy and slightly gritty in texture. I'm looking for a product or process that will help me remove this in a safe way. I hesitate to use Lime Away or such a chemical since I don't want any residue left behind.

I use good detergent in my dishwasher and a rinse aid. The problem only seems to be increasing.

Any helpful suggestions? Your help will be most appreciated.
The problem is a regulation that two years ago banned phosphate from being added to dish detergent compounds. This phosphate is a chemical that is very harmful to our lakes and waterways. It causes uncontrolled algae bloom. You will usually see a dark permanent tarnish on aluminum pot and pans that are washed in the dishwasher. LemiShine (WalMart) which is a salt/citrus solution helps a lot.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Default Finish Glass Magic

In Indiana our water is extremely hard. I use a product called Finish Glass Magic. You just sprinkle about 1 tablespoon in the bottom of the dishwasher and use your regular detergent and rinse aid. Your glasses and dishes will shine like new. If I forget to use it a time of two, back comes the ugly film!]
Hope this is available in TV!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.