Mineral Film Buildup

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2012, 10:14 AM

I had the same problem. My dishwasher heating element looked corroded, black plastic utensils awful, glass looked etched, plastic with a haze. A service rep advised "Dishwasher Magic" (Walmart has it) and after 4 weeks my heating element is clean and so is everything else that comes out of the dishwasher. Since phosphates have been removed from dish detergent this is the result coupled with hard water. Dishwasher Magic is a powder form of citric acid and you just add 1 tsp with dish detergent in the little dispenser. You will see a difference in the first wash and later everything is sparkling!!! A neighbor told me that Cascade Complete has that additive in it...so when my Dishwasher Magic runs out I will try that to see if I get the same perfect results. Bottom line too--I do not want a water softener in my house.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Installing a water softner will eliminate this problem....plus many other benefits.
That's what I thought too. We had one installed and the first time I washed one of our hard anodized aluminum pots, the dark finish came off the majority of the pot. I need to check with the distributor to see if this is covered by the lifetime waranty.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 06-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Sage

Cascade Complete has been working for me.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:48 AM

Tang put in the soap cup in your dishwasher will make the whole inside of the DW sparkle - To get the film off of glassware I use baking soda( by hand) every once in awhile -The glasses look like new - a little work but worth it -
Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 AM
Gold member

I wonder which one of you have a Water Softner in home?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
I wonder which one of you have a Water Softner in home?
We do.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-17-2012, 02:52 PM

I have a place in my dishwasher for a rinse additive to prevent spotting. I have used white vinegar for several years now with no adverse effects. I have a high end stainless flatware set that just sparkles and even my glassware from walmart glistens.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Default Remember 20 Mule Team Borax

I have just rediscovered Borax. Check this out

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1192&bih=568
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Gold member
Default film on dishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Sorry that this is not a recipe or food related thread but I do need some help.

My dishes have developed what I assume is a mineral or film buildup. It is cloudy and slightly gritty in texture. I'm looking for a product or process that will help me remove this in a safe way. I hesitate to use Lime Away or such a chemical since I don't want any residue left behind.

I use good detergent in my dishwasher and a rinse aid. The problem only seems to be increasing.

Any helpful suggestions? Your help will be most appreciated.
A few years ago the makers of dishwasher detergent was required to remove phosphate from their products. Phosphate has shown to be very damaging to the waterways. Phosphate was the chemical that made dishes shine. As another post stated, WalMart sells a product called LemiShine which helps a lot. Your dishes are actually clean but has that disturbing smoky film.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmanp View Post
I have a place in my dishwasher for a rinse additive to prevent spotting. I have used white vinegar for several years now with no adverse effects. I have a high end stainless flatware set that just sparkles and even my glassware from walmart glistens.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
In Germany, we also had a dishwasher that used salt in the cycle. It got the dishes amazing clean, even pots and pans.

If we could find a dishwasher like that [uses salt] in the US, we would buy it in a heartbeat. The only thing worse than our dishwasher is our clothes washer!

To avoid the film problem, we hand wash most glass items.
Miele is a German brand that uses salt in the cycle and is an amazing dishwasher - incredibly quiet, as well. Miele also makes a washer/dryer. All are available in the US but except to pay considerably more than you would for more commonly available brands. I purchased mine in MA and moved them so I'm not sure if there is a dealer located close to TV.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfn8tly View Post
Sorry that this is not a recipe or food related thread but I do need some help.

My dishes have developed what I assume is a mineral or film buildup. It is cloudy and slightly gritty in texture. I'm looking for a product or process that will help me remove this in a safe way. I hesitate to use Lime Away or such a chemical since I don't want any residue left behind.

I use good detergent in my dishwasher and a rinse aid. The problem only seems to be increasing.

Any helpful suggestions? Your help will be most appreciated.
FINALLY!! Something on which I am an expert! I am an expert in? Whatever! I live in Ohio and we have certifiably the worst hardest water anywhere. My dishes and stainless and glassware were getting a white film on it/them. Also the black dish drainer, the tray under it, the ends of the faucets and showers and the bases of the hot and cold water handles.

The answer is soooo easy and cheap. White vinegar! Fill the dishwasher with yucky but cleaned dishes/glasses/silverware, dump in a good cup or two, whatever of white vinegar, run a normal cycle, and you will not BELIEVE the results! Vinegar is perfectly harmless.

Those little round thingies on the ends of faucets and showers, just unscrew and soak in a little dish of white vinegar. the calcium turns into white goo with a texture like toothpaste.

I could go on and on. It's actually fun! I put my black dish drainer and the tray under it in the dishwasher and they came out so pretty I almost took them around to show the neighbors!

Have fun!

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.