New Recipes

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2018, 10:27 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Melon gazpacho
I made this today--very good!
I tried the chicken and pesto recipe and it was delicious, I am going to try the wontons next and then the leeks. These are wonderful new dishes to try and I am sure some of them will end up as favorites.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:46 PM

Love this dish because you can serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Ham & Cheese Strata
Arrange 6 slices of white bread (crusts cut off) in the bottom of a greased 13X9 in. baking dish. Top with 1/2 pound cooked diced ham (I ask the deli to cut a 1/4 inch slice of Virginia baked ham for me when I don't have ham leftovers to use) and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with 6 more slices of white bread (crust cut off). In a bowl mix 6 eggs, 3 cups of milk, 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp. ground mustard, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and a dash of cayenne. (Add 1/4 cup minced onion and 1/4 cup minced green pepper if you like). Pour this over the ingredients in the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with 1 cup crushed cornflakes and drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:00 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgroemm View Post
Love this dish because you can serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
Ham & Cheese Strata
Arrange 6 slices of white bread (crusts cut off) in the bottom of a greased 13X9 in. baking dish. Top with 1/2 pound cooked diced ham (I ask the deli to cut a 1/4 inch slice of Virginia baked ham for me when I don't have ham leftovers to use) and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Cover with 6 more slices of white bread (crust cut off). In a bowl mix 6 eggs, 3 cups of milk, 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp. ground mustard, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and a dash of cayenne. (Add 1/4 cup minced onion and 1/4 cup minced green pepper if you like). Pour this over the ingredients in the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with 1 cup crushed cornflakes and drizzle with 1/4 cup melted butter. Bake for 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees.
Oh, that sounds good too, a nice prep ahead dish
Old 07-20-2018, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default Breakfast for dinner

We are usually too busy in the morning to eat a real cooked breakfast, so we very often enjoy breakfast for supper. Had this last night:

Large Portobello Mushroom sauteed in butter or oil
topped with two slices of crispy bacon
topped with one or two sunny side eggs
and enjoy with crusty bread and side salad.

You can also use the mushroom with bacon and a slice or two of cheese of your choice and leave off the egg.

Makes a great, tasty, quick supper dish.

We like mushrooms in all shapes and sizes and I find that Aldi's mushrooms are priced right and last much longer than supermarket mushrooms.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM
Sage

Here is another one we have had recently: Not this week, but the week before Aldi's had 2.lb bags of frozen wild caught Alaskan Cod pieces. All different sizes and shapes, just thin pieces, not the big thick pieces priced at $9.99 per bag.

Fish Chowder:
1.lb Cod Fillets
1 large Yellow Onion diced (Spanish Onion)
3 cups Diced Yellow Potatoes - not baking potatoes
1 Cup Full fat milk
1 can Evaporated milk
2 cups Water
Salt. pepper and parsley flakes

Dice and saute in 1/2 cup butter the onion. Add the two cups of water and bring to a boil, add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Lay the pieces of fish on the top and reduce heat and simmer very gently for 10 minutes. Try not to break up fish. Slowly add the milk and evaporated milk and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool completely and place in refrigerator overnight. It will thicken overnight. The following day, bring to simmer, taste and season with salt and pepper and DO NOT BOIL. Serve very warm, but not boiling hot with crusty bread.

This is a very simple recipe, but it is absolutely the best fish chowder I have made. It gave us chowder for two nights.

Message for CFrance: You may be able to find fish heads and bones at your fish market and make this even better with a good fish stock.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
We are usually too busy in the morning to eat a real cooked breakfast, so we very often enjoy breakfast for supper. Had this last night:

Large Portobello Mushroom sauteed in butter or oil
topped with two slices of crispy bacon
topped with one or two sunny side eggs
and enjoy with crusty bread and side salad.

You can also use the mushroom with bacon and a slice or two of cheese of your choice and leave off the egg.

Makes a great, tasty, quick supper dish.

We like mushrooms in all shapes and sizes and I find that Aldi's mushrooms are priced right and last much longer than supermarket mushrooms.
Okay, I'm trying that. Could even brush the portobellos with oil and grill them first. Thanks for the Aldi's tip.

We have roasted asparagus spears on a sheet pan and then topped them with sunny-side-up eggs for dinner. Hmm, I'm thinking crumbled (real) bacon along with this. So I googled and came up with this: Bacon and Eggs Over Asparagus Recipe
Even easier because the eggs are done on the asparagus in the pan.

Back 48 years ago, when there was little money left at the end of the month, we often had breakfast for dinner. Now we do it because it tastes good.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Here is another one we have had recently: Not this week, but the week before Aldi's had 2.lb bags of frozen wild caught Alaskan Cod pieces. All different sizes and shapes, just thin pieces, not the big thick pieces priced at $9.99 per bag.

Fish Chowder:
1.lb Cod Fillets
1 Cup Full fat milk
1 can Evaporated milk
2 cups Water

Dice and saute in 1/2 cup butter the onion. Add the two cups of water and bring to a boil, add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Lay the pieces of fish on the top and reduce heat and simmer very gently for 10 minutes. Try not to break up fish. Slowly add the milk and evaporated milk and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat, cool completely and place in refrigerator overnight. It will thicken overnight. The following day, bring to simmer, taste and season with salt and pepper and DO NOT BOIL. Serve very warm, but not boiling hot with crusty bread.

This is a very simple recipe, but it is absolutely the best fish chowder I have made. It gave us chowder for two nights.

Message for CFrance: You may be able to find fish heads and bones at your fish market and make this even better with a good fish stock.
We used to make this with Lake Michigan white fish. Added chopped green pepper to the onion.

I made this once for a friend who had a serious lung operation. She said the butter was just dripping down her chin and she was licking the pan.

I love the fact that your chowder recipe does not come out gummy, Madelaine.

I just brought fresh sardines home from the supermarket for Crosby. I know I can find fish heads. Our kids who are visiting in October are going to love your chowder.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:37 AM
fw102807

Ooooh you guys are good.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We used to make this with Lake Michigan white fish. Added chopped green pepper to the onion.

I made this once for a friend who had a serious lung operation. She said the butter was just dripping down her chin and she was licking the pan.

I love the fact that your chowder recipe does not come out gummy, Madelaine.

I just brought fresh sardines home from the supermarket for Crosby. I know I can find fish heads. Our kids who are visiting in October are going to love your chowder.
OK France, now I am more than envious. I have to buy Norr fish cubes to add some real flavor - I just knew you would be able to walk into the village and find an old fashioned fish monger. By the way, this chowder is beyond delicious, but don't serve it too hot. I made that mistake and you cannot get the flavor. I have another one with corn chowder and shrimp. When I make that I will publish it here. Corn out of the can and add shrimp.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
OK France, now I am more than envious. I have to buy Norr fish cubes to add some real flavor - I just knew you would be able to walk into the village and find an old fashioned fish monger. By the way, this chowder is beyond delicious, but don't serve it too hot. I made that mistake and you cannot get the flavor. I have another one with corn chowder and shrimp. When I make that I will publish it here. Corn out of the can and add shrimp.
Thanks for the tip about the heat. Anticipating the corn/shrimp chowder. Cooked shrimp is abundant here. I prefer the ones where I don't have to rip the heads off
Old 07-20-2018, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:

Fish Chowder:
1.lb Cod Fillets
1 Cup Full fat milk
1 can Evaporated milk
2 cups Water

thank-you this looks great---i especially like that there are only a few ingredients
Old 07-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
thank-you this looks great---i especially like that there are only a few ingredients
Tom, this is really simple. Super easy. My DinL, from Maine, makes a seafood chowder with loads of different fish and seafood and it takes forever and does not taste this good. We should all start looking for cod or haddock on sale and pass the word.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Tom, this is really simple. Super easy. My DinL, from Maine, makes a seafood chowder with loads of different fish and seafood and it takes forever and does not taste this good. We should all start looking for cod or haddock on sale and pass the word.
Or we could deliver it to each other, COD.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Default Curry, anyone?

any white fish (I do not like tilapia)
1 container of Publix mango/peach salsa (in the deli area)
Curry

Preheat oven 400
Line a 9X11 pyrex pan with foil
place filets so they don't touch
smother filets with salsa
sprinkle curry liberally over all (it is spicy-be careful!)
Bake uncovered 15-20 min (depends on the thickness of your fish)

We also usually serve yellow (saffron) rice and a spring greens etc salad with the fish dish.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
any white fish (I do not like tilapia)
1 container of Publix mango/peach salsa (in the deli area)
Curry

Preheat oven 400
Line a 9X11 pyrex pan with foil
place filets so they don't touch
smother filets with salsa
sprinkle curry liberally over all (it is spicy-be careful!)
Bake uncovered 15-20 min (depends on the thickness of your fish)

We also usually serve yellow (saffron) rice and a spring greens etc salad with the fish dish.
Holy cow. I LOVE Publix mango/peach salsa. I eat it by the spoonful. And I love curry. I am definitely going to try this.

By "any white fish," how thick? I would think Mahi or swordfish would be too thick to cook in that amount of time. Or grouper.

Tags
recipe, favorite, post, quick, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.