Now that restaurants have opened back up, has everyone stopped cooking?

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
nope...were still cooking at home

We'll go out once a week for either a lunch or dinner

we drove up to Cleveland a couple of weeks ago....after 7 days of B/L/D in restaurants we were really happy to be back home cooking healthy food...for us it's not about the money, it's about food cooked the way we like it

I'm just back from a week in Tampa, while the wife was in Tampa General....I chose a Homewood Suites, so I could cook some meals vs. having to eat in a restaurant all the time.

don't get me wrong, we love to dine out...and we both worked in restaurants when we were going to school...we know how hard everyone works in restaurants

that said, we also both like to cook...my wife's 1st generation Italian....NO restaurant can best her recipes. Cooking has been a hobby for me since I was the cooking merit badge counselor one summer at a boy scout camp

We make our own sausage, grind our own cheese, make our own limoncello, grind our own special blend of hamburger, we still 'can' a few items...we actually look forward to the super market flyers in the Wednesday paper and the special help define what the following week's menu will look like. We plan the week's menu out in advance and that makes food shopping a lot easier

We've taken any number of cooking classes at Johnson & Wales and with executive chefs to pick up different techniques...
if you can read and follow directions it's pretty easy to put out a fabulous meal

We get that not everyone is into cooking....and some are happy to no longer be cooking for huge families....I have a niece that dreads having to come up with a weekly menu...everyone is different

to each there own...we make no judgement on anyone that prefer to leave the cooking to someone else
I LOVE to cook and to experiment with different recipes, but I'm a single. Soooo, I make meals, especially soups, and share them with my friends and neighbors. So far, no complaints.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:57 AM

Bagels, Pizza, Good Deli, Killer Sushi (Love Tao on 58th)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:00 AM
Smile You mentioned Carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieBorden View Post
During the pandemic, we decided it was time to “ trim the fat”. Although neither one of us was obese, we decided to reduce the carbs and sugar. Its amazing what that will do. We both lost weight and it was a wonderful thing in that regards. We rode our bikes, and continued to play pickleball. I have always been a cook and I enjoy it. We eat out mostly when we go out with others but our preference is to have others over and eat at home. We prefer to eat home as it tastes so much better, and costs so much less. Also, we dont have to get “dolled up” and can eat on our lanai and enjoy a glass of wine...its all good.

Like you, I saw COVID as a great way to refine my diet and fitness.
Eating out is overrated when you go out all the time.

I add one more to your list.... Salt. "the silent killer".
I had blood work done, what I thought was my salt would be moderate high and sugars low.
NOOP. Just the opposite. Moral of this story. We need to cook our food.
Read the packaging, most things are horribly high in salt and sweeteners. and it is getting worse.

Does anyone know that various beer companies are now using High Fructose Syrup in place of sugar in the fermentation process?
Bastards.
Yes, they created a genetically modified strain of yeast that will react to HFCS and produce alcohol.
Criminals.

Another couple of crazy tricks to better fitness.
1) juicers, my buddy lost 130 pounds

2) Parsley and Lemon body flushes (3 lemons, one bunch of parsley, 1L water, blend) . Its a bit murky but give it a week. It works as you will see that little belly just disappear. Typical regimen is1 8 oz glass in the morning, 7-10 days on, 1 week off.
The other trick to it. Eat nothing for 2 hours after waking up then drink the flush.
This allows your stomach to fully empty.
Fact: most people overeat daily.

3) Carbs..... "The no white food diet". I have trained for many years.
Want to lose weight or trim down? Stop eating white foods. Largely Pasta, Bread, cheese, Rice ( I don't agree with that one), etc. Again unnecessary carbs.

Regards,

Kev
Old 07-01-2021, 02:18 PM

Prefer to eat at home, the food is much better.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingal702 View Post
I LOVE to cook and to experiment with different recipes, but I'm a single. Soooo, I make meals, especially soups, and share them with my friends and neighbors. So far, no complaints.

I love making soup. Easy to share and most freeze well.
Closed Thread

Tags
chicken, made, cooking, potatoes, fridge

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.