Oatmeal - what kind and what do you add?

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2018, 07:44 PM

I prefer cream of wheat over oatmeal. I don’t want to highjack the thread, but anyone else like cream of wheat better than Oatmeal?

On my C.O.W. I prefer no fruit, however if I were to add fruit, I think I would add a smaller berry, like a blueberry or cranberry-raisin.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I prefer cream of wheat over oatmeal. I don’t want to highjack the thread, but anyone else like cream of wheat better than Oatmeal?
I haven't eaten farina since I was a kid, but I remember liking it better than oatmeal. IIRC, I ate it with a pat of butter and some sugar or maple syrup sprinkled on top. Then, there was Wheatena. That was my favorite hot cereal.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

Try it the Scottish way. 1 cup oats. 2cups water. Add salt to taste.

Not a bad as it sounds!
Old 08-05-2018, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Instant plain oatmeal. Then I always add local honey and mix some type of fruit every morning, blueberries, bananas, etc .
Old 08-05-2018, 06:36 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Try it the Scottish way. 1 cup oats. 2cups water. Add salt to taste.

Not a bad as it sounds!
I do this but do not use salt or sugar. I think that is why there is so much diabetes from all the sugar people use. I sometimes add fresh fruit and I want to try the ginger idea.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
... I think that is why there is so much diabetes from all the sugar people use. ...
I knew a guy who would only consume artificial sweeteners. He developed artificial diabetes.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:41 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I knew a guy who would only consume artificial sweeteners. He developed artificial diabetes.
Artificial sweeteners are even worse. I never use those.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Sage

Instant Quakers oatmeal with water added. Splenda with a dash of fat free milk. Being a type two diabetic, I wouldn't expect anyone to like this simple way to make it.

I also eat a slice of toast with egg beaters and then go to the gym. Washed down with water.

Before anyone criticizes, I had doing this routine 5 days a week for many years with no ill effects. It works for me.

I don't disagree with the people who add other stuff or use other oatmeal. It's probably healthier.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-05-2018, 03:20 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Instant Quakers oatmeal with water added. Splenda with a dash of fat free milk. Being a type two diabetic, I wouldn't expect anyone to like this simple way to make it.

I also eat a slice of toast with egg beaters and then go to the gym. Washed down with water.

Before anyone criticizes, I had doing this routine 5 days a week for many years with no ill effects. It works for me.

I don't disagree with the people who add other stuff or use other oatmeal. It's probably healthier.
It is all about personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

I put raw uncooked steel cut oats in my yogurt (Costco brand - plain, nonfat greek) along with fresh mixed berries and walnuts. Been eating this for breakfast for years.

I also agree with Ecuadog about Bob's Red Mill products - excellent! They also have a gluten-free muesli for those who need to refrain from gluten. My son eats that every morning and enjoys it over other gluten free breakfast products.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I put raw uncooked steel cut oats in my yogurt (Costco brand - plain, nonfat greek) along with fresh mixed berries and walnuts. Been eating this for breakfast for years.

I also agree with Ecuadog about Bob's Red Mill products - excellent! They also have a gluten-free muesli for those who need to refrain from gluten. My son eats that every morning and enjoys it over other gluten free breakfast products.
That sounds like a dessert [not that there's anything wrong with it].

Is it 1 cup yogurt to a 1/2 cup oatmeal or even less? Your breakfast sounds a lot better then mine.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,047 Times in 2,738 Posts

Steel cut with about 90% water and 10% milk, then some frozen fruit.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That sounds like a dessert [not that there's anything wrong with it].

Is it 1 cup yogurt to a 1/2 cup oatmeal or even less? Your breakfast sounds a lot better then mine.
I only put in 1 ounce of oats to 8 ounces of yogurt, but you certainly could add more. I use such a small amount because I try to limit the amount of grains I eat in a day. Then I add 1 ounce of nuts and 6 ounces of berries. It's a pretty hardy breakfast, but it works for me because when I do have to go into work I never know when my next meal will be and it keeps me satisfied for a long time.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Artificial sweeteners are even worse. I never use those.
They potentially lead to brain cancer, at least in rats. I doubt any neurosurgeons use them. Artificial sweetener causes cancer in rats at levels currently approved for humans, new study suggests -- ScienceDaily

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I only put in 1 ounce of oats to 8 ounces of yogurt, but you certainly could add more. I use such a small amount because I try to limit the amount of grains I eat in a day. Then I add 1 ounce of nuts and 6 ounces of berries. It's a pretty hardy breakfast, but it works for me because when I do have to go into work I never know when my next meal will be and it keeps me satisfied for a long time.
thank-you I will take your advice. If I wanted to sub the nut because that's my least favorite do you have any suggestions?
Closed Thread

Tags
oatmeal, make, add, dried, fruit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.